This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would I be an SC?

So, I went out the other night with 5 of my oldest friends to dinner. I, feeling gracious, picked up the tab. It came to 131 dollars and some change. I left a 20 dollar tip (not including whatever my friends threw out on the table), so it brought the total to 151 and change. I check my statement online this morning, and the pending charge from that restaurant was for 158 and change (like a 6.50 difference). That's not a big difference, I know, but I thought they actually charged you what you signed for on the receipt, and I know nobody ordered anything after I paid the bill. Would I be sucky if I called them up or went by and asked about it? It would have stunk if that little difference had caused me to overdraw or something like that (which, thank goodness, is not the case).

I'm not really pissed off or anything like that, I just would like to know what I'm being charged for, know what I mean?

I don't think it would be sucky at all. In fact, I think it's your duty to go do so. Sounds like said restaurant might be trying to make a little extra income.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Wait a day or two. Sometimes when the charge is pending it may be for more than the actual charge. Wait until it goes through, I bet it will be for the proper amount. If it is not, then go raise some hell.

Comment

Yeah, I'd be curious why all of a sudden the total charge is different, too. The only thing I can think of is maybe they had a minimum gratuity, and you somehow fell below this arbitrary amount, which would be weird, as you were near 20% as it was.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Was there an auto-grat charge for having 6 people?
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Actually, more than likely, the authorization is for a higher amount than was expected. I've seen that happen most times that I eat out. They put a request through for the expected amount+tip, and then the actual charge comes through at the amount on the slip.

Give it a day or two, and you should see things sort out quickly when the charge comes through.

Comment

I've had the authorization be like $5 more, but when the actual charge goes through, its always been the correct amount.

Comment

As long as you are polite about it, you would not be an SC. But yeah, I would give it a couple days and make sure that's what the actual charge is. If it is, then bring back your receipt and a printout of the card statement and just ask what's up.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

To answer, no, I don't think there was an auto-grat charge. You guys are probably right, and they just did an auth for more, and that's all it is. I'll give it a few days and see what it says. Thanks for all the great help!

Comment

From what I've been told, the charge from restaurants is usually put through with an automatic 20% gratuity, which would explain the difference ($26 and change). Once the actual charge is put through, it should be correct, as others have stated.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I didn't realize restaurants authorized for a higher amount, I'll keep that in mind for the future. I thought maybe there was an auto-gratuity for serving 6 ppl (may still be the case). That being said, I've had restaurants charge me extra on occasion. Usually a buck or two and once was for 50 cents. I never said anything and would assume it was an accident (guess I still have faith in humanity ) or maybe they couldn't read my hand-writing. For the $6.50 I would complain because it would irk me something bad. But I would wait the couple days like others are suggesting.
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                        I didn't realize restaurants authorized for a higher amount, I'll keep that in mind for the future.
                        Almost every restaurant authorizes debit cards for a certain percentage more when they swipe the card. Generally the precentage ranges from 18-22%.

My advice: Never assume that the amount on presentments is the actual amount that will post to your account. Also, your presentments being a wrong amount shouldn't ever cause you to get an overdraft (unless your bank is very strange and sucky). It will hold those funds for a little while though (usually 2-5 days).

I deal with this all the time at the bank. Wait until it posts to your statement. The restaurant can't do anything while it's in presentments anyway.
                        "Any free samples?"
                        "Sorry, not today."

Come on people, we're a bank not a bakery.

Comment

Working...
                        X