Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lying for fun and profit. Mostly profit.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lying for fun and profit. Mostly profit.

Our store manager was telling us this today.

A year or two ago, he bought a Westinghouse LCD TV from our store. It recently shit the bit, so he began calling around to find a repairman or a parts supplier.

He ended up calling a local mom-and-pop electronics store. The guy there asked store manager where he bought the TV from and he told us our store.

Mom-and-pop store guy responds: "Oh. Those TVs that Westinghouse, Philips, JVC, etc, produce for the big box stores don't have all the parts in them, so they fail faster."

Yeah, okay, sure, whatever. Who else thinks mom-and-pop guy was trying to drum up business for his store which sells their TVs for twice as much as we do?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

<raises hand> I do!!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

"Don't have all the parts"? Uhhhhhhh...Somehow, I think that if a TV was missing parts, it would likely be non-functioning, not just break faster. I think I'd make them open up the TVs and show me each part.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        Who else thinks mom-and-pop guy was trying to drum up business for his store which sells their TVs for twice as much as we do?
        No doubt.
        But can you really blame him? I mean with all the revenue lost to big box stores (assuming you work at a big box store - I'm likely to have seen you mention it before but at the moment just don't remember) tossing out a few lies in hopes of reeling in a new customer or two isn't that bad.
        It's not as though the big box guys are the ones who would suffer without the sale of that TV.

Comment

Is my store a big box? Yes and no.

Our stores are about 90,000 SF on average and we only have 130 or so locations nationwide.

We sell the same kinds of things as Target and Wal-Mart but we don't do anywhere near their volume.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
          X