This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the bookstore

SO and I were at the local bookstore (okay, Borders), and I was looking for a particular book in a series. The in store inventory says it's "likely in store" meaning that they may or may not have it, find someone to help you to look and see for sure.

Que for the next 10 minutes SO and I looking for someone to help up. I kid you not: every time we'd spy someone and say "Excuse me..." they'd scurry off.

Finally I went to the cafe and asked the barista if she could please page someone. She said sure, and asked me to go wait at the information counter about 30 feet away from the cafe. Sure, no problem. A minute or so later, an employee comes up and she looks sort of pissed off that she has to help someone.

I show her the print out and mention that I was looking for this book. She asks if I've looked on the shelves. I tell her that both SO and I have, and we're at a loss since we just can't find it.

She takes the paper - well snatches more like it - and starts tapping away at the keyboard. I thank her quietly and she looks up glaring at me and snaps "I was helping other customers, you know." *blink* Rather than argue, I turn to SO, tell him "Forget this" and hand her the books. She just stares at me like I'm crazy and I'm sure watched me walk out of the store.

I went in expecting to buy at least $60 worth of books, a majority of them gifts, and to have someone snap at me was not what I was expecting. It didn't help with the rapidly disappearing staff either.

I really hate this location because they never ever seem to have the new stuff in stock and we have to drive all over Earth and creation just to find what we want.

It's no wonder that Amazon has been getting more and more of our book orders.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

I swear they layout those stores and stock the shelves in a manner that you can find NOTHING.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

That's only half the problem. The other half is that this particular location is so understaffed, it's ridiculous.

The last time I got any help, I told SO "What do I have to do? Stand with a Help Me? sign over my head?" Of course, someone just happened to walk by at that moment and I did get help, but really! I'd complain to the management, but it doesn't any damned good. Their excuse is that they are adequately staffed for their needs. Really? Then how come when I go in I only see someone when I go to the registers?

The only other decent location is at a mall, but it's torture just to find a decent friggin' parking space there.
      Random conversation:

Comment

may I also suggest that you try overstock.com? it's prices are competative with amazons and I have 2 reasons for liking them, first everything is handled by overstock.com you aren't doing business through a middle man like many purchases on amazon are and second all their warehouse and service center positions (to my knowledge) and done in house in the United States (Utah, I'm pretty sure in sandy).
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I know we all hate it when idiot customers complain to management about us. But that's when the customers are being stupid little entitlement twits. This sounds like a valid complaint and it might be a good idea to write a letter of complaint to someone higher than store level. Mention the "adequately staffed for their needs" bit also.

Seems to me they have hardly any staff because they have hardly any business. Which is probably due to such lousy rude service. Funny how that works out, hmm?
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

You should go to Barnes & Noble <nods sagely >

That's part of the reason B&N doesn't have "look it up yourself" kiosks like Borders does. They prefer to have the employee-customer contact. Which is not to say that some stores aren't understaffed and that it is not sometimes difficult to find someone to help you. The other issue they have with such setups is that if the customer looks it up and sees "may be in stock" (assuming they are an SC) they will get all whiney when they can't find it. But the computer said you had it! Exactly the reason why Rule #1 over there is "Never tell the customer a book is in stock unless you actually have it in your hand!" My most-used phrase when working the info desk was probably "We may have a copy, let me check the shelf and make sure."

Of course, there is no excuse for the "I was helping other customers, you know" line...if you are helping someone you acknowledge the people waiting and finish with your customer. "I'll be right with you" can go a long way. Perhaps the people who "scurried off" when you tried to get their attention were also helping other people, but the same applies. All you have to say is "I'll be with as soon as I can" and most people will understand.

We recently got a Borders at the mall near me. I've been in a couple times but I didn't have much contact with any employees. I was just looking to see if they had a calendar I wanted that B&N didn't carry. I also haven't tried looking anything up. I've only been in Borders a few other times because the next closest is a good 20-30 minutes away. When I lived with my ex it was only about 10 minutes away but I was working in the stores then, so why would I go to Borders when I could shop at B&N while I worked?
            Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 03-02-2008, 05:30 PM.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I've considered B&N. While I don't like the idea of paying $25 a year for a discount, I'd be willing to pay if I could just get some help.

I plan on putting in a complaint Monday, only because the customer service line was closed yesterday. And I will definitely bring up the lack of staff as the major issue. I hate feeling like an SC, but dang it, I didn't do anything to deserve being snapped at like that. If she really was helping someone, then she could have just as well said she'd be right with us. It wouldn't have bothered me in the least and I wouldn't have ranted here.

This is not the first time we've had problems at this store. When we go to any other location, the staff are literally crawling all over the place to help you. It's just this location. I've told SO I will willingly drive us to another location if we can just get some decent service. I think he finally believes me.

Unfortunately, the other closest location to us is closed due to some unforseen circumstances - they had a major water main break that pretty much damaged the first floor of the store.
              Random conversation:

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                I plan on putting in a complaint Monday, only because the customer service line was closed yesterday.
                Did you do the complaint? How did that go?

We have a local Borders that is excellent. I like the self-lookup kiosks (I prefer doing my own searches because I'm good at it, and I like to tangent-surf), and there has always been someone ready to help at the information desk.

It sounds like your store has some serious issues and corporate needs to be made aware of that fact.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                X