This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One for the apothecaries

I had to pop to the doctor for a repeat prescription today. First one I've ever had, so I had to ask him for how to use it. Anyway, you know how you're dealing with a customer and you're trying to give them a warning about how not to do stupid things by saying, "Some other people do..."? That sort of warning where both of you can laugh it off?

Apparently some people treat repeat prescriptions as a licence to hoard chemicals. They use not enough and keep building up stocks. I have no idea why, nor did the doc. Any pharmacy techs come across this?

Anyway, he asked if I could believe that. I told him about this site, told him a couple of tales that made his jaw drop, and said that yes, I could believe it.

Rapscallion

In my case, the doctors usually prescribe more medicine than I need, especially painkiller medicine, which I get off as soon as I can. Anything labeled "take as needed" usually ends up with half a bottle extra. So it sits in the cupboard until I remember it.

On the other hand, I'm smart enough to grasp the concept of "shelf life" and "expiration dates". I recently went through and discarded about 2/3 of a kitchen cupboard shelf worth of old medicine.

Comment

I think the problem is, a lot of people don't finish their "take as directed" meds. They just take it until they feel better, then they just hang on to whatever's left over, and take it if they think they have the same thing as last time. Hey, saves them a doctor's visit and a new prescription, what's not to love?
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Guilty. I save pain killers. My doc gives me more than I need though, and he knows I save them. I have fibromyalgia and major damage to my back though, and he knows that I only take 'em when I'm really hurting. 10 pills tend to last me a year.

Comment

Hear it all the time;

As others have said sometimes it's a longer course than's needed but the worse offenders are the elderly, especially if they're taking handfuls at a time - they either forget and just turn up for their repeats every month or they "don't like taking all these pills!" and stash them at the back of the drawer.

Apparently some people treat repeat prescriptions as a licence to hoard chemicals.
          Sometimes there's a practical reason. Some Doctors can be stingy when it comes to 'spares' so for some of the less needed items that are "Use as required" it is not unreasonable to have a spare or two (inhalers, GTN sprays). One to carry, one at work and one for the car isn't too much to ask
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

A friend on another message board just posted that her Dentist has given her a script for antiobiotics in Jan, with one refill. She has a heart condition, so she must use antibiotics before any denta lwork is done, and that's why the dentist gave her a refill script in Jan.

at any rate, her dental work is scheduled for march 13, and dentist told her to have the Rx he had written in Jan refilled and start it now. The kicker? Her pharmacist refused to fill the script. This happened on a Sunday. Pharmacist claimed that too many antibiotics were prescribed in the US and that in his opinion she didn't need them. Then he refused to give her his full name. He told her to "come down and get his name from his name tag"

Long story short, she had the script filled elsewhere and has filed complaints against this pharmacist.

Sheesh.

Comment

Quoth texasbelle5 View Post
              Pharmacist claimed that too many antibiotics were prescribed in the US and that in his opinion she didn't need them.
              I thought they were only allowed to do that with birth control.

(I'm glad I live in Australia, where laws were passed to stop even the Health Minister vetoing prescriptions)

Comment

I hope that pharmacist gets his license or whatever it is they have taken away. They shouldn't be allowed to give out medicine based on how they feel. I'm glad your friend was able to get her prescription filled elsewhere.
                Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Admittedly...

As a pharmacy tech, there have been times I wish I could refuse to fill prescriptions. The pain killers for the guy at my counter reeking of pot, and trying to score drugs on his cell phone while giving me his script. The lady who needs anti-depressants for her seven year old daughter because the parents are getting a divorce and "she's upset". The teenage girl with her sixth precription for Plan B in three months (You need a Plan A, honey). And I occasionally cringe at the at least twenty prescriptions I type or fill for Ritalin (Adderall, Vyvanse, Concerta) a day.
                  But antibiotics? I can understand a pharmacist being concerned about his patient, and not wanting to give them something that could be dangerous to them. (You have no idea how many doctors have no idea what drugs interact, or what their patients are allergic to.) But arbitrarily deciding that "you're not sick, you don't need it" is stupid.
                  And this is why, when I get my pharmacist degree, I will be going into manufacturing, I don't care if retail pays better.
                  http://tinyurl.com/43hger/.gif

Comment

Quoth InsanityInc View Post
                    I save pain killers. My doc gives me more than I need though, and he knows I save them. I have fibromyalgia and major damage to my back though, and he knows that I only take 'em when I'm really hurting. 10 pills tend to last me a year.
                    I'm jealous! I'm lucky to get 10 pills to last 3-4 days! I hate the groggy feeling I get from them, but I can't handle the pain without them

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    I think the problem is, a lot of people don't finish their "take as directed" meds. They just take it until they feel better, then they just hang on to whatever's left over, and take it if they think they have the same thing as last time. Hey, saves them a doctor's visit and a new prescription, what's not to love?
                    Generally that's ok, except for antibiotics. Always, ALWAYS, take the full regimen of antibiotics, even if you are feeling better. Stopping before they are all gone is what creates "superbugs" that are resistant to many ab's

Quoth RedRoseSpiral View Post
                    I hope that pharmacist gets his license or whatever it is they have taken away. They shouldn't be allowed to give out medicine based on how they feel.
                    I was under the belief that they are NOT allowed to decide what to fill or not fill, unless, of course, they own the pharmacy, and even then, it would be a matter of running off the client rather than selectively filling only some of their Rx's. I may be wrong about that, though.
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                      Generally that's ok, except for antibiotics. Always, ALWAYS, take the full regimen of antibiotics, even if you are feeling better. Stopping before they are all gone is what creates "superbugs" that are resistant to many ab's.
                      Yeah, I was talking about antibiotics, for the most part. Just...Didn't...use the actual term! Yes!

Quoth Primer View Post
                      I was under the belief that they are NOT allowed to decide what to fill or not fill, unless, of course, they own the pharmacy, and even then, it would be a matter of running off the client rather than selectively filling only some of their Rx's. I may be wrong about that, though.
                      Actually, I know in some states, they are allowed to refuse prescriptions based on any of a number of reasons. What those reasons are, and whether they should be allowed to is a fratching topic however.

Comment

Quoth texasbelle5 View Post
                        Her pharmacist refused to fill the script. This happened on a Sunday.
                        My grandma had this happen when one of the pharmacy techs refused to give her nitroglycerin. This medicine is taken as needed when people are having chest pains to reduce the chance of a heart attack [so I'm told, I have very little medical knowledge]. Luckily, my aunt is the head pharmacist at that location and reamed out her employee.
                        "You do not refuse ANYONE nitro, ESPECIALLY my mother in law!"

~Rhania

Comment

Regarding "shelf life" and "expiration dates" on medicines:

The FDA requires expiration dates on certain medicines but not on others. Nearly every medicine one buys (at least in the USA) will have an expiration date, but this is because retailers like having them. Whether or not this affects drug efficacy is less a matter of the dating than it is the physical characteristics of the medicine involved.

Refrigerated or frozen drugs, like insulin, allergy injections, and immunizations are very time sensitive and have expiration dates that reflect this loss of activity.

Liquid drugs like cough syrup or "suspension" drugs generally degrade with non-use and the expiration dates reflect this.

Dry or "pill form" drugs are usually not affected by time or storage. Especially for medicines in unsealed factory containers, use after the expiration date is generally safe and effective. For example, if I had a headache and you offered me a ten year old aspirin I would take it without question. Pills are generally nonreactive as long as they are not exposed to moisture - this is why many bulk pharmacy containers include a little packet of silica gel or another dessicant. By making sure every last bit of moisture is excluded from the container, they can guarantee quality even in the most swamplike of conditions.

Your home medicine cabinet is probably dry enough to ensure activity of most medicines at least ten years after purchase, especially if you don't open them up and expose them to air too often.
                          "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

Quoth Salesmonkey View Post
                            Dry or "pill form" drugs are usually not affected by time or storage. Especially for medicines in unsealed factory containers, use after the expiration date is generally safe and effective. For example, if I had a headache and you offered me a ten year old aspirin I would take it without question.
                            Actually, you're mostly right about the aspirin, as it won't become harmful, but the efficacy is affected over time. My chemistry teacher in Chem 212 said that it spontaneously converts to...two compounds I can't remember at the moment. But it does it really slowly. The potency is only affected to a noticable degree after about 5 years, though it would still be at least partially viable after 10, it certainly wouldn't be at full strength. Water not required.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                              Depending on what state the pharmacist is in s/he can refuse to fill a prescription based on religious believes or personal morals. It usually comes about when a woman wants to have a prescription filled for Plan B, the abortion pill, or birth control pills.
                              Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Working...
                              X