This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Suck

...and I know it was epic, because at least one guy turned purple!

So I had one of those experiences when I ran to the Wendy's drive thru for lunch that would have totally sucked except for the thought, "Gee, this will be a great story for the board!"

Masterwork Suck: Dude in front of me in the drive thru, during lunch rush, wants to use a credit card.

+1 Suck: Credit Card is declined. In the drive thru. During lunch rush. Cars now backed up to the street.

+4 Suck of the Titanic Weasel: Dude proceededs to try FOUR (!!!) different credit cards. In the drive thru. During lunch rush. I note cars blocking the street now. Passing Police car has stopped to see if there's an accident.

Epic Suck of the Tufted Titmouse: Dude demands to know why his cards have all been declined loud enough that I can hear from the car behind. In the drive thru. During lunch rush. In downtown Dayton. Manager, noticing drivethrough time, has appeared. Said manager tells Dude to call his card company (-y +ies). Dude want his food. Manager demands cash. Dude makes the sign of the cross (the very cross ), and takes off. Mad peel-out halted by lunch traffic.

I did finally get my food. Manager was very apologetic, and I pimped the site while I got my drink.

Manager-guy, in case you make it out here, you rock! I've never seen a fast food place handle a heavy lunch rush as well as you guys do. May Dude ne'er darken your speakers again.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

I don't get how a lot of people get all surprised & upset whenever their credit card gets declined. Seems to me if you keep track of of your cards then there's no reason for it to be declined. In other words if you keep track of it & track your spending then you should never be surprised by it declining cause it won't get to that point.
    One should ALWAYS be aware EXACTLY how much of a limit you have on your credit cards. & IF you're that close to being maxed out then don't use it! Acting all surprised about it, just makes you look like you can't handle your finances. It also makes you look like an ass when you pitch a fit.
    People really ought to know better.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
      Masterwork Suck: Dude in front of me in the drive thru, during lunch rush, wants to use a credit card.
      I don't understand what is sucky about this. Lots of people use debit/credit cards for most everything.
      I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        I don't get how a lot of people get all surprised & upset whenever their credit card gets declined. Seems to me if you keep track of of your cards then there's no reason for it to be declined. In other words if you keep track of it & track your spending then you should never be surprised by it declining cause it won't get to that point.
        One should ALWAYS be aware EXACTLY how much of a limit you have on your credit cards. & IF you're that close to being maxed out then don't use it! Acting all surprised about it, just makes you look like you can't handle your finances. It also makes you look like an ass when you pitch a fit.
        People really ought to know better.
        i had an issue where the bank check (mastercard) card didn't work, and it wasn't due to lack of funds, the bank had done something to the card. But i didn't blow up like this guy did, i just whipped out another card and it worked :P
        Quoth donruss
        don't understand what is sucky about this. Lots of people use debit/credit cards for most everything.
        i don't think the suck is in him using it, but using it and it getting declined... then trying 3 other cards (or was it 4?)

also.... if you believe commercials, using a card is faster than cash :P

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
          I don't understand what is sucky about this. Lots of people use debit/credit cards for most everything.
          I don't think the OP was complaining about using the plastic since, as you pointed out, it's widely used (by me, for a start!). But holding up an entire lunchtime drive-thru line when your multiple cards are all declined...therein lies the uber-suckiness.
          Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
            I don't get how a lot of people get all surprised & upset whenever their credit card gets declined.
            If one has recently done travelling, your card can get flagged quite easily. If you're not familiar with that, then it could trip you up.

Granted, that's not likely the reason in *this* case, but there are legitimate reasons to have your card declined besides it being maxed.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              If one has recently done travelling, your card can get flagged quite easily. If you're not familiar with that, then it could trip you up.

Granted, that's not likely the reason in *this* case, but there are legitimate reasons to have your card declined besides it being maxed.
              My brother ran into that problem when he was in Antarctica. The bank was noticing these odd charges from when he was down there and when he was on break in New Zealand.

The bank called my parent's house looking for him (he hadn't updated his contact info), wanting to talk to him about these charges and was going to suspend his card. Of course, the bank couldn't tell my mom where the charges were coming from, so she told them that if the charges were coming from country X, Y, or Z it wasn't a problem. And they were not to cut that card off unless he called them.

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne View Post
                I don't think the OP was complaining about using the plastic since, as you pointed out, it's widely used (by me, for a start!). But holding up an entire lunchtime drive-thru line when your multiple cards are all declined...therein lies the uber-suckiness.
                If that is indeed the case, I humbly apologize. Of course if you have 4 cards declined in a drive-thru lunch rush and hold the line, you are a fucktrumpet (I love my new expanded vocabulary from this site) of the Nth degree.

It just read like he thought that sucked as well, thats all. I bow to thee Geek King.
                I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
                  If that is indeed the case, I humbly apologize. Of course if you have 4 cards declined in a drive-thru lunch rush and hold the line, you are a fucktrumpet of the Nth degree.
                  Just didn't want anyone ganging up on the OP - that damned mod hat gets in my eyes from time to time. Also, I hate guys like this SC making the rest of us debit-card devotees look bad.

And 'fucktrumpet' is an awesome word
                  Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
                    I'm thinking it might be a little sucky in that it could take longer to process the payment when the drive-thru is all about speed.

As in customer presents card to cashier, cashier swipes it, cashier waits for the charge to go through, and then possibly the customer has to sign the reciept. One of those things that wouldn't make a huge difference if it weren't for the fact that the restaurant gets timed on how fast they're moving people through the drive-thru.

I use my credit card fairly frequently and it has never occurred to me to use it for a fast food drive-thru order.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      Epic Suck of the Tufted Titmouse

For the first time ever I just swallowed cigarette smoke. A curious feeling...........
                      I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        I'm thinking it might be a little sucky in that it could take longer to process the payment when the drive-thru is all about speed.
                        It usually goes quicker in the drive thru when I use CC. They never have me sign a receipt, as the total is always under the $20/$25 limit, and it's always a quick swipe, then hand it back, rather than dealing with change, or waiting for me to dig for change.
                        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          That's exactly what I meant.

Maybe there is some place in this world where the card scanner works like the commercials.
                          *swipe*
                          *grab*
                          *go*

I've never seen that. Even without signing the reciept, it takes a bit of time to confirm the transaction, sometime minutes if the system if being hit hard at that moment. I know better than to try to use one in a drive thru during lunch rush in a mainly commuter city. You're going to slow the whole works down. I just go inside if I need to use credit. (Okay, I lie. If I have to use credit, I go to the chinese buffet. )

Side Note-- PuckishOne: Thank you for looking out for me, but it will take more than being ganged up on an internet forum to bother me these days. I figure its better to hear from people so I can see their point of view if I'm wrong, or clairify if I've been misunderstood. Thank you, all the same. Keep up the good work!
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Most fast food places don't have you sign the CC slip anymore.

Message to the moron with the 4.count em 4 declined CC's.

Pay your bill dude.

Comment

Quoth texasbelle5 View Post
                              Most fast food places don't have you sign the CC slip anymore.

Message to the moron with the 4.count em 4 declined CC's.

Pay your bill dude.
                              Five, actually. He submitted four more after the first declined, and they all failed. Just to be clear.
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X