This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper thief

So, leaving my apartment building today, I come downstairs to find a note taped up to the front door, written messily in black marker, which I will paraphrase to the best of my memory:

"Please stop taking my paper. I pay to have the paper delivered. I have an idea who you are and will be keeping an eye on you. If you really want a paper, buy your own!"

...or something to that effect.

What kills me, is that the person who is having the paper stolen tends to leave the paper sitting outside the front door, on an open sidewalk into the parking lot, for several days at a time, sometimes. I've left for work on Monday to see the paper sitting there, only to have it still be there on Wednesday. Chances are, maintenance has noticed it being left there to rot, and has taken it upon themselves after a few days to pitch it in the dumpster.

And the quasi-threatening language in the note made the whole thing even more entertaining to me. Passive agressive much?
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

They apparently don't want the paper that bad if they leave it out for so long.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My brother gets the paper delivered to his apartment. The funny part is he never ordered it. It's been going on now for about six months.

Comment

I'd tape a note to the door that says "I didn't take your paper, however maybe if you stopped leaving it sit for days at a time it wouldn't dissapear"

Comment

Man. That is so chickenshit. He can leave a note, but he can't have a conversation with you. I hate that.

Someone did that to me and my husband when we first moved to where we are now. They snuck over and taped a note to our car. While we were home, no less. The note was "Your huge white dog has been roaming around terrorizing my kids in the street."

My husband went to the guy's house and said "Dude, our white dog weighs 30 pounds, looks like a plush toy, and has never been outside of our fence or house. The big white dog running around loose is L's. You know L?" (L was the neighborhood useless shitbird) and our neighbor got this dejected look on his face and said "yeah...I know L". He got all dejected because telling L anything was about as effective as farting in a tornado. But still, jeez! We don't bite, man, just say what you mean, you know? Don't sneak around like a whipped dog.

Comment

I am trying to understand . . .is there a general door that everyone shares to go outside?
            Let the on site Mgr handle it.

Comment

*picks up paper; checks date* "1985? Can't be!"

*loud sound of shotgun being cocked*

"DROP IT!!!!!"

*quickly drops paper; gets up slowly*

"So YOU'RE the sonuvabitch who's been stealing my newspapers!!!!"

*eyes bulge*

"Mr. Strickland?!?!"

(Sorry. It's late and i couldn't help posting that. )
              Last edited by Dave1982; 03-12-2008, 05:14 AM.
              "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                *picks up paper; checks date* "1985? Can't be!"

*loud sound of shotgun being cocked*

"DROP IT!!!!!"

*quickly drops paper; gets up slowly*

"So YOU'RE the sonuvabitch who's been stealing my newspapers!!!!"

*eyes bulge*

"Mr. Strickland?!?!"

(Sorry. It's late and i couldn't help posting that. )

Ahhh, Back to The Future, Part 2.

I like that movie.

i say if the paper is just sitting outside for more than a couple of days, then that would mean that they didn't want it. And that it is up for grabs
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                  The big white dog running around loose is L's. You know L?" (L was the neighborhood useless shitbird) and our neighbor got this dejected look on his face and said "yeah...I know L". He got all dejected because telling L anything was about as effective as farting in a tornado. But still, jeez! We don't bite, man, just say what you mean, you know? Don't sneak around like a whipped dog.
                  I've been in that situation, and a simple anonymous note saying "Lock up your dog if you don't want it sent home in installments" did the trick.

Comment

You should have taken a photo of the note and posted it here: http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                      You should have taken a photo of the note and posted it here: http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/
                      I just spent 2 and a half hours reading all that, it's great.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                        That site was one of the first things I thought of when I saw the note, which is still up today.

And to answer other questions/add some info - yes, there is one general front door from a building containing 8 apartments in a complex of some 30-40 buildings, and that one door in my building is where the note is taped.

Literally, it looks like the writing of a spastic 14-year old, all in black marker, on a piece of printer paper.

Oh - and as to how I know which neighbor's paper is being stolen? Only one neighbor in the building gets it, and the paper people even write the apartment number on the bags.

Funny enough, the papers haven't been left sitting outside AT ALL this week. For a chance.
                        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

When I first moved to my apartment in Arizona (not my current apt. in PA) after I divorced in 2001 I got a paper delivered to my door every morning which was meant for the last occupant. I called the paper to tell them that the last occupant had moved but since I didn't know their name I could only give them the address which wasn't good enough for some reason. Apparently they can only look up clients by name. I called the landlord and got the guys name and again called the paper.

The problem is that since I told them that I wasn't him, again explaining that I had just moved in, they said that they could do nothing unless he actually made the call to cancel. I finally gave up and told the guy that I would just enjoy reading a free newspaper every day until they figured out that I wasn't him, which I did for almost 5 months, including a couple months after they sent a bill addressed to the last resident that I, of course, didn't pay.
                          This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Working...
                          X