Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the incident the OP was talking about happened at the gym, but based on the comments I have to ask: what employer doesn't provide locks for lockers?

At my work we have almost enough lockers for all 400+ employees, all with locks. (Some people don't bother using lockers, especially those who drive to work. Most of them show up in uniform and don't bother using the lockers because they leave their stuff in their cars.)
    We're not allowed to use our own locks, but if I bought one that was the same brand they use no one would be the wiser.

Thankfully we've never had any thefts to my knowledge, and I suspect that has everything to do with the fact that my work provides us with locks!
    Also, when someone leaves the lock on that locker gets moved to another locker.
    For example, my locker is #54, but before I started working there the lock I had could have been on locker #123, #24, etc., so even if an ex-employee comes back to try and steal something from their old locker the combination won't work.

Common sense, people.

Heck, even when I was at Wally World they provided them. They didn't switch the locks when people left, but still.
    Last edited by rerant; 03-17-2008, 07:17 PM.

Comment

None of the places I've worked that had lockers provided locks.

If you wanted a locked locker, you had to provide your own lock.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
        I have to ask: what employer doesn't provide locks for lockers?
        Lots of them.

Hell, at my place of employment, only fulltimers get their own personal lockers and locks. The parttimers get some of the skanky lockers, for use only during their shift. If they leave stuff there overnight, they're liable to have their locks cut off.

Yeah.

I don't use the lockers. I hide my stuff in the room I work in.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
          I know the incident the OP was talking about happened at the gym, but based on the comments I have to ask: what employer doesn't provide locks for lockers?
          My store. If you want a locker you need to provide your own lock.

That being said, only female employee use lockers, to keep their purses in while at work. I don't bring anything to work that needs to be locked up for an extended period of time and neither do the other male employees at my 75% or greater female workplace.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You'd be amazed at the crap I see on a regular basis. People bringing hundreds of dollars into the gym and just leaving it on top of their clothes while playing basketball. Teenagers bringing every form of cellphone and MP3 in and leaving them on tables, chairs for hours at a time while they're in a different room of the building. People tossing their stuff in locker and not getting a key from the front desk "locks are built into lockers and we provide the keys, for free". We do our best but our facility does have a theft issue, mainly because people are morons. I personally don't bring my wallet to work anymore ever since i had $70 taken from the employee clock-in room.
            Losing faith in humanity, one customer at a time

Comment

One place I work did provide lockers with this type of lock built in. My job every couple of months was to go in with management and replace the locks on the lockers were someone had quit or been fired and not left a key. Management had the master key that would open the entire section of lockers. Basically the individual doors were mounted on a big door, so they could open an entire section of lockers, so that I didn't have to break the old lock out to replace it.

Comment

You know, it's just sad that you can't trust your own co-workers. If I have to bring something in that's expensive (once I brought in my laptop b/c I was going to school afterwards and didn't want to leave it in the car), I leave it down in the office, which is locked and has a camera trained on it. Only a select few can get into that office, so if things go missing, then there's not many people to go through. No way in hell would I leave it up in the break room's lockers. There's no camera in there and no assigned lockers. You just get what you get.

I can't even leave a newspaper in the breakroom without someone stealing it. I bought a newspaper for the entire store to be kept in the breakroom and it wasn't even in there for thirty minutes before it grew legs and walked off. I literally stormed through every department and asked every single co-worker and no one would fess up to it.

Our store sometimes provides locks for newbs, but I think it costs too much so they don't anymore. We have a "communal" locker that everyone uses to keep plastic forks and ketchup packs in, but other than that..

Comment

Heck, I've been teaching at my school for almost 20 years, and ya know where my locker is? Out in the parking lot! I don't even have a desk to call my own. I have to work out of my vehicle.
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                  X