This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "My mother is going to starve!"

I went to the bank yesterday and I got to hear half of a conversation between some stupid woman and a bank official.

Let me clear up what I meant. The bank lobby was fairly large. I was conducting my business down at one end of it, and the conversation in question was taking place clear down at the other end. I couldn't hear a word the bank official was saying, but I and everyone else in the lobby could hear every word the woman was saying. She had that kind of voice, you know the type I mean.

The conversation had apparently been going on for quite some time before I came in, but I soon figured out the gist of it, which was that the woman was trying to close out her mother's accounts, which contained over $20,000. But, the mother was not there, and the woman had no legal authorization to access her accounts, but seemed to think that she could just walk in and take the money out. She didn't seem to understand that she needed something more than just her word that she was the account holder's daughter, or that that fact alone was not enough to give her access to her mother's funds.

It went back and forth for a while, until she finally yelled, "My mother's in a nursing home! If you don't give me her money she's going to starve! Do you want my mother to starve?!!?"

I had to leave at that point, but I'll bet she never got her mother's money. Poor mother is going to starve!!
    "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
    "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
    --Dilbert

I love when they try to lay guilt trips like that that no one is going to believe...
    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
      It went back and forth for a while, until she finally yelled, "My mother's in a nursing home! If you don't give me her money she's going to starve! Do you want my mother to starve?!!?"
      Yes, because the nursing home will refuse to feed her if the daughter doesn't come up with $20,000.

Where do people come up with this crap!?
      I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
        She didn't seem to understand that she needed something more than just her word that she was the account holder's daughter, or that that fact alone was not enough to give her access to her mother's funds.
        I know a bank that might let her do that. A local bank around here has been known to let people withdraw large sums of money from accounts if they just know the SSN of the account holder. Even if the account has the warning "SSN has been stolen. Check for picture ID." It was in the newspaper.

Yeah, their business is down.
        My Pointless Links collection.

Comment

What's next? "Think about the children! Do it for the children!"
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
            What's next? "Think about the children! Do it for the children!"
            We're all somebody's children...

Comment

Somewhat but still in regards to bank privacy policies, when I was 19 I closed my account at one of our local banks in the morning. By that afternoon, my mother, who worked for a different bank altogether had been called by the teller and informed that I took my money out of my account.

If I hadn't been taking my business elsewhere already, that would have pushed me over the edge. Also, had I know more about banking privacy at the time I'd have had the teller fired for that breach of privacy (a problem with growing up in a small town is everyone knows everyone else's business and you get kind of used to it.)

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                By that afternoon, my mother, who worked for a different bank altogether had been called by the teller and informed that I took my money out of my account.
                Was your mother's name still on the account? If so, that why they'd call her. Many banks will not set up accounts for minors unless their parents' names are on it as well.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                  Was your mother's name still on the account? If so, that why they'd call her. Many banks will not set up accounts for minors unless their parents' names are on it as well.
                  He was 19, though
                  Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

On a gloomy note, a nursing home/hospital in georgia refused my boyfriends father unless he ponied up 8k that he didnt have (he barely has 200 bucks) immediately up front. Dude's an alzheimers patient who can't be left alone and he's pissing blood, and they're turning him away saying "stay with your father 800 miles away or let him wander on his own" wtf.

GOd dont get me started on f'ing nursing homes -cries- oh god the worst year of my life. I still go to a therapist.

Comment

My brother worked for a while doing a job that required he visit a lot of nursing homes, among other places.

He said that for every decent nursing home he visited, there must have been at least a dozen really scary ones.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Nursing homes are horrible. But mostly because the majority of people that are there are just dumped, and the children never visit and check up on them. Ever.
                        That's just my experience here in my country though. It may be different in other places.
                        If I ever win the lotto, I would love to open a nursing home that actually has activities for the residents, instead of them just sitting around aimlessly!
                        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                          I would love to open a nursing home that actually has activities for the residents, instead of them just sitting around aimlessly!
                          Sometimes though the residents have no ability to participate. My wife's nursing home has Bingo, and crafts, and movie time, etc. But a lot of the people are so far gone (Alzheimer's, Dementia, etc) they have no idea where they are anymore.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                            He was 19, though
                            Ah...however, if their name is still on the account (which sometimes happens after one turns 18), that's why the bank would call. It's simple to change that--just open a new account in your name only
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                              Ah...however, if their name is still on the account (which sometimes happens after one turns 18), that's why the bank would call. It's simple to change that--just open a new account in your name only
                              Yup, my dad's name is actually on my savings account (but not my checking account, which is where all my money goes, so he can't track my purchases ).

It's setup like that, so that he can put money in it if needed. (Mostly for emergencies, like if my car exploded).

There are reasons for someone over 18 to have their parents on an account.
                              <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Working...
                              X