This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Truck Guy and the video store of Doom

Well, if not doom, then mild annoyance. At least for me and the employee anyway.

I stopped on my way home to drop of my old videos at the rental place, and hopefully get a credit for one that had not worked. When I go in, the lady behind the counter is dealing with this...guy.

SC: But it's a classic! You have to have it! (I have no idea what movie he's asking after, but due to the following conversation, I'll bet it was about trucks.)
    Employee: Well, you see sir, it's a copyright issue. It's not on DVD anywhere.
    SC: But I KNOW I saw it on DVD!
    Employee: Sorry, that's impossible.
    SCHems and haws for another thirty seconds) Well, what about 'Crazy Trucker movie'? That's about a crazy trucker!
    Employee: Um...nope sorry.
    SC: Okay, then what's the name of the James Bond movie with the Truck?
    Employee: *names it* It's over there.
    SC: Uh, kay. *wanders off*
    Ignoring the weirdness, I go to the counter. Employee Lady agrees to credit my account for the DVD that didn't work, and I go off to find another movie. As I browse, I hear SC muttering to himself about MORE trucking movies. O_O; Dunno what was with this guy and truck movies, but I got out of there pretty fast. I hope he left the poor employee alone after he found whatever Truck movie finially sated his desier.
    "Because that's how magical meteoric size-altering space goo works." IMDB Message boards.

Well it is not entirely impossible to not have it on DVD. they have those VCR's that records itself onto a DVD. I am thinking about getting one, since I have a few movies I want to watch again.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Convoy, Maximum Overdrive, Space Truckers, Smokey and the Bandit and Black Dog.

I can name five trucker movies off the top of my head, and I've only seen one. I don't even know why I know them.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
        Well it is not entirely impossible to not have it on DVD. they have those VCR's that records itself onto a DVD. I am thinking about getting one, since I have a few movies I want to watch again.

The VCR/DVD Recorder combos have an internal device that will throw an error when it encounters the Macrovision which most commercial VHS tapes would have had. I have one at my shop and it even tosses the error on some non commercial tapes, I do conversion of VHS to DVD (home videos and tapes where the client owns the copyright only). I've found that on some It works better running the tape on a standalone VCR and record onto the DVD. It is simple as hell to do though (I don't think that this would defeat the Macrovision though, it just helped on the home videos, which were at least 20-25 years old in this case).
        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
          Convoy, Maximum Overdrive, Space Truckers, Smokey and the Bandit and Black Dog.
          And don't forget the Stallone Classic "Over the Top". Trucks and Arm Wrestling, with a little domestic violence thrown in, it's a Trailer Park favorite.
          If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
          www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

And don't forget "Duel". Directed by Spielberg and starring Dennis Weaver.
            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Truck Movies . . . tell him to try and find the DVD's of CMT's Pimp my Truck

And hey at least the man knows what he is passionate about.

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                The VCR/DVD Recorder combos have an internal device that will throw an error when it encounters the Macrovision which most commercial VHS tapes would have had. I have one at my shop and it even tosses the error on some non commercial tapes, I do conversion of VHS to DVD (home videos and tapes where the client owns the copyright only). I've found that on some It works better running the tape on a standalone VCR and record onto the DVD. It is simple as hell to do though (I don't think that this would defeat the Macrovision though, it just helped on the home videos, which were at least 20-25 years old in this case).

I actually forgot about the Macrovison part.
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth RentalRacer View Post
                  And don't forget the Stallone Classic "Over the Top". Trucks and Arm Wrestling, with a little domestic violence thrown in, it's a Trailer Park favorite.
                  i love that movie!!

Comment

I used to know someone that kept an old 2-head VCR for playing movies he wated to duplicate. Since it's the other two heads on 4-head VCRs that read the anti-piracy hashing, or whatever it was.

I have no idea if that still works.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I really want to know what the James Bond movie with the truck is... there are trucks in a lot of them, though the one playing through my head right now is Licence to Kill with the dissolved cocaine gasoline trucks.. though Goldeneye had a russian tank blast through a Perrier truck... Maybe Octopussy had some trucks too, but nothing trucker-ish.

I'm confused.

Comment

This has been bugging me for years, I saw part of this movie, but not the end, and I HAVE to see the end. Its a movie, roughly 70s era, with a guy in a reddish muscle car and he's being chased by a mean looking old semi EVERYWHERE. I mean the guy can't even get any sleep this guy finds him anywhere he goes. He finally hides on a switchback next to the main road to lose the guy and catch some sleep and when he wakes up he's going to turn the tables on the guy and that's where I'm stuck at. I need to know what happens, does anyone know the movie? I've even done random searches on IMDB, they have Two Lane Blacktop, but not this one.....grrrr.
                        ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
                          This has been bugging me for years, I saw part of this movie, but not the end, and I HAVE to see the end.
                          Might the movie you seek be Duel, released in 1971 starring Dennis Weaver and directed by Spielberg?

The car driven by the character David Mann is a red Plymouth Valiant.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I would have thought "Duel" as well, except he's looking for one with a red muscle car, and a Valiant is definitely NOT a muscle car (it was the '60s and early '70s economy car by Plymouth).
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

YES YES YES!!!

But somehow in my mind, the car was something like an SS......but that's the right one! OMG you've made my night!

(Now to find it!)
                              ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Working...
                              X