X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping Irritation

Long and rambly, like usual.

So Wal-Mart does price-matching, right? You bring in the competitor's ad, find the right product on the shelf, and the cashier overrides the price. Simple and straightforward, right?

Apparently not in CT.

When I cashiered in NY, we were trained that the item had to match in brand and volume to qualify. %-off and "buy one, get one (BOGO)" offers didn't count, the exception being if the BOGO ad also listed the original price of the item (i.e. "Buy one at $X.XX, get one free"). If the item on sale was the competitor's store brand, the customer could get Wal-Mart's store brand in the same size instead, since store brands are (usually) exclusive to the store.

With me so far?

Shopping here in CT, I've run into CSMs and managers who apparently are working off of a different version of the above guidelines. And more annoying is that none of them seem to agree.

Case 1: Hubby and I were doing our bi-weekly grocery shopping at the supercenter half an hour north of us (closest one at the time). We bring along our ads and get the appropriate items. We get to the register, and as usual, the cashier has no clue how to do the price match. (We've only ever encountered one cashier who knew how to do it without being told, and none of these people have the "Trainee" tag on their badges.) The CSM who shows up looks the ads over and informs us that the price match policy doesn't apply to items that requires the competitor's store savings card, which effectively reduced us to one item that still qualified. Fine. Hadn't heard that before, but we'll go with it.

Case 2: Once again doing the bi-weekly shopping at the same store with Hubby. Again, the CSM (different one) is called. This time, she informs us that the policy only applies to items that require the store savings card. ::facepalm:: This reduced us to no items being discounted, since we were good per last time and only price-matched non-card items. If it weren't for the fact that I've been on the employee side and heard managers who just didn't understand policy that well and each enforced their own opinions of it*, I would've thought they were specifically targeting us for denial of price matches.

Case 3: The supercenter that's 5 minutes from our house finally opens up. Huzzah! At one point, I'm doing the shopping (alone this time, except for Baby with me), and have brought the price match flyers. CSM comes over, looks over the ad, and promptly tells me that the policy doesn't apply to other stores' store brands, since Wal-Mart doesn't carry them and the item "has to match exactly." Grr.

I explained that I used to work as a cashier at Wal-Mart, and we were told that for price matching, customers could match Wal-Mart's brand to other stores' brands. She just gives me this confused look and says, "Okay...really?" I nod. She shrugs. I ask if I can speak with a manager to ask this, and she replies, "I'm the CSM." And the only thing going through my head at that point is, I understand that. I want a manager. You know, Front End Manager, Store Manager? Not you. Instead of saying that, though, I asked if there was someone she could ask. She said she'd check.

Meanwhile, I told the cashier (who was very nice) to ring them up anyway, and if the CSM came back with an answer in my favor, I'd have it fixed at the Service Desk. 10 minutes later, I finish paying and wait a bit longer. However, Baby's getting antsy, as she wants her snack and a diaper change, and I'm getting tired and just want to go home after buying two weeks' worth of groceries, so I gave up and left.

I've since tried contacting Wal-Mart through their website to see if I can get a copy of the price matching policy, so I don't have to go through this hassle again. I've yet to hear back from them, and I sent the request almost three weeks ago, at least.

Does anyone else here (especially fellow Wal-Mart employees and veterans) know where I might obtain said policy? Preferrably in more detail than the "will match same item from competitor's ad" on the website, which is frustratingly minimalist and doesn't mention exceptions or specifics.

* Not only have I heard differing opinions on the price match policy from different managers, I've encountered differing enforcement of the "wrong price scanned" policy and which codes to use for price overrides and stuff. Things like managers denying that we give $3 off of a misscanned item, or just ignoring it, or insisting that if the lower price is more than $3 less than the misscan, that's discount enough (the signs say that it's off of the "correct" price, if I'm not mistaken). And I've seen managers and cashiers put in the "misc" code for price matchs, the price match code for misscans, the misscan code for random stuff.... The codes make different notes in inventory, people! (The misscan code automatically deducts $3 from the item's price.) And then there were the cashiers who were apparently trained to ring bottle redemption slips as product coupons instead of redemption slips. Inventory and bookkeeping must hate that.
    Last edited by Kogarashi; 03-13-2008, 07:40 AM. Reason: Holy crap, that's long!
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

So far as I know, that as long as you bring in the ad from competitor & it matches the item that you're buying then you can get it for the lower price that's stated in the advertisement. Making you jump through hoops to get it is absurd. I used to be a cashier at Wal-Mart & I did these price matchings all the time. No big deal.
    & if they don't understand that policy then you should have insisted on speaking to someone more powerfull than a CSM.

Comment

I'd say if you can't find it online, go in sometime and before you even shop, as for a manager. An actual manager and insist on that no matter how much they try to wiggle out of it. Check with the manager on exactly what is policy. Go from there.
      "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

I'll probably end up having to do that. At least asking beforehand would save trouble with the baby being tired and cranky after shopping for a good hour.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

Well I doubt this will help you much, and I do believe that asking a manager would be the way to go. I currently cashier at Wal-mart and our policy is as such:

We will price match, as you said any competitors add as long as the quantity and volume matches, with the exception being BOGO and % off, and as long as the promotion is current. Savings card has nothing to do with it, seeing as they are free to sign up for anyway. We also do not price match Albertson's Deli adds, as they go through a private butcher.

On the not of miss-scans, that's something that very few people know about, and is rarely used, but yes, technically that is the policy.

Oh, I know in my store we're no longer allowed to key in dept codes because of the mis-use of them.
          "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

Comment

This is a major peeve of mine. If the product is cheaper somewhere else: go there and buy it.

I know the idea is to get people into the door to make a sale, but, "price matching" is one of the stupidest ideas I have heard of. I'm ok with coupons and saver cards as they are pretty much one and the same.
            Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Lets add gas prices and in some places the stores can be on opposite ends of town.
              So by the time you drive to store A and B all that money you saved has been spent (and then some) on gasoline.
              Add in small children. Or even someone that works a lot of hours.
              Price matching can be a wonderful thing.
              Sure it can become an extra hassle for the clerks working in that store. But it is part of the job.
              I know I have had times where price matching allowed me to by that weeks groceries vs only a few days worth that would have to last 7 days.

So for things like grocery shopping it is a wonderful and almost necessary thing.
              On the other hand . . .when one is buying luxury items . . .like a TV, DVD, Couch . . .one should price check before buying and give business to the store with the best price.

Comment

No offense, but put me in the 'just go there then' category on the price matching. It seems like the few times I've tried to use it ANYWHERE, I always got hassled. It's just not worth the aggrivation, IMO.

But then again, I live in a city where all the stores I go to are within about a 2 mile radius, so gas and time aren't a huge issue. Perhaps if I lived in a town where stores were really spread out and I'd have to use alot of gas I'd rethink it, but for me it's just not worth the aggrivation.

Just my 2 cents
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

My company does price matches.

ALWAYS HAS, ALWAYS WILL

The only limitations I know of that we have is the competitor has to have the item in stock, you have to bring in the competitor's ad, and the competitor's ad must show a specific price, not a percentage off the regular price.

I don't get asked about it very often.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                    But then again, I live in a city where all the stores I go to are within about a 2 mile radius, so gas and time aren't a huge issue. Perhaps if I lived in a town where stores were really spread out and I'd have to use alot of gas I'd rethink it, but for me it's just not worth the aggrivation.
                    I honestly have no clue if stores in my area do price matching on a regular basis, but since I'm a transit user, if they DID do price matching, I'd use it, just because going to one place to grab one thing would be a huge PITA.

But there are some stores that I'd prefer to give my business to, unless it was a huge difference, so even if it wasn't a problem getting to a different business, I'd rather that some places do price matching so I can still give them my business instead of the other place.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Valid arguments, all.

Our city is one with widely scattered grocery stores. I'd have to drive a minimum of 10 minutes in any direction to even hit one, and they're all in different directions from my house (with winding and convoluted routes, stop-and-go traffic, and poor street planning). Price matching is great for me because the nearest grocery store to the Wal-Mart I shop at is at least a 20 minute drive, and the bulk of its merchandise is far more expensive than the Hubby and I can afford on his stipend.

The biggest problem I'm having now is whether or not Wal-Mart's store brand can be price matched to another store's store brand. With the exception of this last grocery trip, the answer's been "yes," whether I was shopping or working at the store in question. ::sigh::

I also agree that for large and/or luxury items, it's probably better to just patronize the store offering the sale. The exception was way back at the first store I was working at, when I had picked up another customer's Circuit City flyer and noticed I could get a DVD I wanted for a good $5 cheaper with the price match. I bought that on my break, and felt justified because it was 30-40 minutes on the highway to get to the nearest Circuit City (I lived in the boonies at the time).

Comment

I can totally see your points. If I lived in an area where I used transit or things were spread out beyond my little 2-3 mile radius, I'd probably take advantage of it, too.
                        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                        X