Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I drive slow and how dare you pass me on the road!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversely, if you're not driving fast enough (read: doing Mach 1), the locals AND the tourons (tourist + moron = touron) get a mite cranky with you...

I have lived in Illinois my entire life, save the period from 2006 - mid-2007 when I got transplanted south (not my doings, long story). Within the first three months of my having moved I'd flipped off no less than three assholes who felt I wasn't moving fast enough over the posted speed limit or two seconds too slow in responding to a stoplight for their liking. (Hey, dumbfucks, out of state plates still on here - no way am I risking a speeding ticket just because you're in a hurry to gorge your fat wrinkled asses at the local seafood buffets!)

I have NEVER flipped off anybody in Illinois prior to that. (At least, not where they could visibly see me doing it. ) Funny thing was, the first time it happened I didn't even think twice about it - my car's sunroof was open so I just went BAM! Middle finger straight up after some fartweed blasted me with his horn for not magically teleporting out of his way once the stoplight changed. (And it wasn't like I wasn't paying attention to the light - this was literally like a two-second delay in transferring my foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal, and this nitwit got pissy over the "wait")

Quoth greensinestro View Post
    ME: Maam, why don't you go get a life and go back to New York or wherever you're from?
    RL: I'm not from New York.
    ME: Well, you're certainly not from Florida either.
    RL: I've never been treated by someone like you with no manners! (I found this hard to believe).
    ME: Maam, why don't you shut the fuck up and walk away right now?
    PWNED!

And no offense to anybody from the about-to-be-mentioned states, but during my time in Florida I HAVE noticed that tourons from New York, Michigan, Ohio and the general East Coast are some of the nastiest and RUDEST entitlement-minded shits around.
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
      Around here, we have a relatively new freeway that was added a year or so ago.

Too many people do NOT comprehend that it's a FREEWAY with a speed limit of 65 MPH. Just like any other freeway....like the others it connects to.

On a beautiful day with clear roads, you will end up having to slam your brakes and weave around people going 50-55 mph. It drives me BATTY. Sometimes I just want to plow into them.

We still have an old highway where the speed limit is 50. They need to be taking that one.
      I have a similar problem when I visit my mother in Reno... There is a stretch of Virginia street that used to have a speed limit of 45 before the 395 extension was opened. After the extension opened the traffic dropped on the road so they raised the speed limit to 55... i've had old ladies like the one in the OP confront me at the post office or wal mart about why was I speeding... and it's like, umm I was going the speed limit, and that is the speed limit it has been for like a decade now.

Quoth Rine View Post
      I'm sorry--but it's not the interstate--I don't have to keep right because you want to break the law.
      that actually depends on where you are... technically in Utah you can be pulled over for failing to keep right if someone wants to go faster than you even if you are going the speed limit... granted almost no cop would pull you over rather than the person speeding but they could if they wanted to...

Quoth Kogarashi View Post

Why do these people feel the need to drive highway speeds in residential areas?
      because they're douchenozzels
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Amethyst Hunter
        And no offense to anybody from the about-to-be-mentioned states, but during my time in Florida I HAVE noticed that tourons from New York, Michigan, Ohio and the general East Coast are some of the nastiest and RUDEST entitlement-minded shits around.
        Being an East Coast denizen my entire life, I'm inclined to agree.

Though I thought Massachusetts drivers were bad until I moved to Virginia. The fact that there are lots of military bases nearby (at least where I was) means you get a mix of driving styles that conflict with each other, including the bad driving already found in the state.

Quoth Kogarashi
        The guy tailgated me insanely closely for several blocks before the houses dropped away (speed limit stayed 25), and proceeded to cross a double yellow line to roar past me at a good 45 mph, just as we came to more houses.
        That happens a lot up here in Vermont. It doesn't help that here, a double yellow line does not automatically mean "do not pass"; there has to be a sign stating as such as well. I believe that loophole was supposed to allow people to legally pass slow-moving farm equipment on the roads. It also doesn't help that there's very little law enforcement on many back roads.

But when the speed limit's 25 in town, I try to keep it under 30, if not right at 25, because I know the local cops love to hang out by the hospital, or the fire station, or near the back entrance of the high school.
        "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

If I am correct, then I don't think you are at fault. He is.
          Here's the reason I say I was sucky. Yes, I think he overreacted on the whole deal, but essentially, I thought he was supposed to yield when, in fact, I later discovered I was supposed to yield. We were both heading for the same exit ramp. He had to turn left to get on the exit ramp, whereas I had to turn right. When I checked later, I found that the yield sign was for me, not him. Again, he was absolutely douche-tastic in his response, but I can't help but feel like an ass for a technical moving violation.
          You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Rules for NJ driving. If the posted speed limit is 25, do 40. If 40, do 25. If you're on the GSP, 75 at the SLOWEST, damn it.

Yeah, I'm not cool with driving in NJ, and I have avoided being on the GSP since Vito (oddly enough, the first Italian I've ever met with that name) tricked me into driving on it for one of my driving lessons.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth LewisLegion View Post
              About half a block further on I stop at a stop light and the guy pulls onto the shoulder, zips up next to me, and starts screaming. . . After about thirty seconds of this, he suddenly zips up again along the shoulder, and takes the right hand turn.
              Were you the first car at the light and he was behind you? He may have had his blinker on saying he was going to turn right. You stayed in front of him and "blocked" him from doing so on red. (At least where I live it is legal to turn right on red unless a sign says no right on red)

It drives me batty when I leave for work. have three lanes . . .left turn only, middle, and right.
              I can't tell you how many times I have approached the intersection with my blinker on . . .and moron in middle lane will pull to right lane preventing this. Or car in right will be going straight . . .already one car stoped in middle lane so they stay in right lane to be first car when light goes green. They don't care that they car approaching is actually going to be turning right and they are blocking them . . .cause they are more important that is why they have to be first.
              (Note: on the other side of the intersection . . .there is nothing to turn right into . . .so it isn't like they need to be in the right lane as they cross the intersection)

Comment

I'm surprised nobody brought up the idiots...who blast their horns if you don't lay rubber away from the light the *second* it turns green I had some idiot do that to me once, and yes I *did* give her the "Pittsburgh Salute"

Then last year, I managed to upset some idiot in a Taurus as I was trying to merge onto a highway. Actually, I was coming off the road under the highway, and because of traffic, I ended up sitting at the yield sign on the ramp. I don't know about you all, but I'm not about to either cause an accident by forcing my car in between some others, or pull out in front of a large vehicle (bus, semi, wheeled crane, etc.) So I'm sitting there, and this fool starts laying on the horn and revving his engine. Not even a few seconds after that, I see his door swing open. Good thing that bus stopped when it did--he saw what was possibly going to happen--and I floored it. As for Taurus boy, he got what was coming. Turns out there was a cop behind him...who pulled him over
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

welcome to my world. I am a delivery driver and it does not matter what state/county/city you are in there are idiot/impared/stupid/shoudl have their DL revoked/ drivers.

I have had a few late deliveries because some asshole driver wanted to deliberately fuck around with me. like doing 20mph in a 45 strip, changing lanes so I could not get around them for going waaaaayyyyy under the limit, etc

I have avoided quite a few accidents (thanks to no traffic on a MAJOR semi-highspeed road) by slolum swerving out of the way when someone turned from another road onto my road (right or left it does not matter) when I was about 40 feet away going the legal speed limit (around 45 mph)

thank the Gods that I have lived in major metro areas and learned to drive in them (though now I live in a smaller town the drivers are just as clueless)

3000-5000 pounds of steel and plastic around you does not make you invulerable or immortal or untouchable. managing to stay breathing for soooooooo many years does not entitle you to be an entitlement whore. I do not care if you knew Henery Ford as a child. the world does not give you "respect" you have to earn that from EVERYONE and the world DOES NOT owe you a living.
                  Last edited by Racket_Man; 03-14-2008, 04:51 PM.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

For those who run driving routes, consider getting some sort of dashcam, or an audio recorder and make notes of anyone who plays road games with you just to mess with you.

That's a serious violation, and a few reports to the police might get them to wise up.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      I'm surprised nobody brought up the idiots...who blast their horns if you don't lay rubber away from the light the *second* it turns green
                      I've been on the receiving end of that too often lately. I am learning to drive standard, and I have a lot of trouble getting the car going from a stop.

My husband, in the passenger seat, is always saying "Its okay honey, take your time, they can wait." But its no good; I get flustered, give it too much gas, and stall it out.

Then the arseholes behind me have to wait even longer. Karma!

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

My neighbor managed to piss me off through a series of actions yesterday.

Yesterday, he pulled out in front of me when I was pulling out of my apartment complex. No problem, except he was doing 15 mph in a 40 mph zone, 2 lane road so I couldn't pass him.

We reached a light that lets you turn left from 2 lanes, I was in the outside left turn lane. Asshat nearly sideswiped me when I turned and gave me a dirty look when I honked. Dude, you've lived here over a year, and you HAVE to hit this intersection to leave the complex anyway....

To make it awesome, he spent several hours installing a car alarm in front of my bedroom window yesterday evening. He drives a salvage title 1st generation Nissan Frontier with over 200k miles, NOBODY IS GONNA STEAL IT! And I really didn't appreciate the siren going off every 1-2 minutes for over 2 hours.

I admit, I turned into ST (sucky tenant) and bitched to the landlord - my lease prohibits working on your car beyond checking the oil, and with the hours I work, I sure as fuck don't need a siren keeping me up all night.\

Another story... a few days ago I tried to pass someone on a 2 lane onramp. She cut in front of me and slammed on her brakes. WTF? I finally did get around her and she started riding my ass, honking, flashing her lights, and waving her cellphone out of the window. She did the same crap to 2 other cars a few minutes later and eventually wound up with both of them following her though (I wound up pulling off on the shoulder to let her pass, and she STOPPED in the middle of the highway to scream at me through a closed window).

I love hate Dallas.

Comment

I've been meaning to post this since its happened, but I keep forgetting.

Now, I'm used to asshole/douchenozzle/entiltement whore drivers because I am originaly from California. They run rampant all over there, with the worst areas being West Hollywood, East Los (angeles), Beverly Hills and Oakland... let us not forget Compton.

Anyway, I had NEVER seen this display of douchnozzery in my whole driving life:

Hubs and I have a hankerin' for some delicious, real Mexican tacos (i.e. not Del Taco or Taco time tacos). Apperantly, the staff was really short handed because from the time I made our order (mmm.. burritos with everything and extra lime.. ) to when we actually recieved it was almost fifteen minutes... in the drive through.

Some ass in an shit-school mustang (i.e. mid 90s) thinks this is funny. He proceeds to drive around the block FOUR TIMES, laughing at us. I tell the hubs dude must be on drugs or something. He agrees. Lady leans over the window and hands us our food. As I'm thanking the lady, this happens.

H: Babe...
                          M: what?
                          H: -points to the dude in the car- don't go yet. I think his head's going to explode?
                          D: -decided to make an illegal right hand turn on a red, so his ass is hanging below the double whites for pedestrians. The other light just turned green, so he's scared he'll be hit.-
                          M: -snickers- so, what about it?
                          H: The train's coming.

At this point, I turn to look over to my blind spot, as its over looking the rails. Lo and behold, the arm is down, the bells are ringing, the very first cabin of the train is passing us by. I can tell its a LONG ass train. I proceed to laugh.

Dude in car doesn't take this kindly. He proceeds to point at us and begins to yell. His face is turning purple. His arms are flailing to and fro. There's a huge vein throbbing on his temple.

We just find it hilarious.

So what does he do?

RAMS the car in front of him in an effort to get his ass out of a ticket should a cop drive by.

The guy in the chevy in front of him just glances over to Dude. See, his big ol' truck can take a beating (its an old Chevy to boot) and considers Dude a mosquito.

Dude gets more pissed off, so he rams it again.

Guy in truck opens his door.

Dude is about to blow a gasket but his car does it for him. Guy in truck yells something else. Dude goes white..as in.. 'oh shit, I know I shouldn't have taken my sister's out for a spin without her permission' white.

We left then, laughing our asses off all the way home.
                          "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
                            She cut in front of me and slammed on her brakes. WTF? I finally did get around her and she started riding my ass, honking, flashing her lights, and waving her cellphone out of the window.
                            Oh, that is so time to whip out the cell phone and call that clownfoolery in to the cops. People like that should not have licenses, though that won't stop them from driving.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                              that actually depends on where you are... technically in Utah you can be pulled over for failing to keep right if someone wants to go faster than you even if you are going the speed limit... granted almost no cop would pull you over rather than the person speeding but they could if they wanted to...
                              Well, I know I don't have to be in the right lane on our state and county highways where I live. I like being in the left lane because the right lane is always way more backed up because lots of people turn off.

Also, I just don't give way to people who break the law. I'm a jerk like that. People just need to slow down and chill out.

On the interstates, however, I always stay in the right lane and I hate it when people cruise in the left lane.

There is one state highway in the area that actually says "slower traffic keep right." But how slow do you have to be going to be considered "slower traffic?" If you are already doing 5 plus, do you have to yield to the moron that wants to do 10 or 20 plus the speed limit? So when I'm on that highway, I do treat it like the interstate...

Comment

Quoth Rine View Post
                                There is one state highway in the area that actually says "slower traffic keep right." But how slow do you have to be going to be considered "slower traffic?" If you are already doing 5 plus, do you have to yield to the moron that wants to do 10 or 20 plus the speed limit? So when I'm on that highway, I do treat it like the interstate...
                                In that instance, "slower traffic" means anyone who is not actively passing someone else.

Fun fact: You can be ticketed simultaneously for speeding and obstructing traffic.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                                X