This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Truly Terrible Sales Person

A story I posted in the SC forum about a "customer" who objected to having a limit on her free trial unearthed this memory from many years ago.

At the time I worked in a research lab. We periodically had sales people from equipment and supply companies stop in. They usually had enough sense to drop off a price list/samples, offer to answer any questions and leave.

This particular story involves a sales man who was too desperate for his own good...

A colleague, I'm going to call Jim, in a neighboring lab had to run some samples through a very expensive piece of equipment [I honestly don't remember what it was or what the samples were; the important thing is that the equipment was expensive and Jim needed it for his work].

So Jim called the company and expressed his interest in buying this machine. It didn't take long for the company to send over a sales rep., who I'm going to call Ray. Ray enthusiastically arranged for a demonstration where the machine was installed in the lab for Jim to try for a week.

At the end of the week, Ray returned to pick up the demo unit and asked Jim for his feedback. Jim expressed doubts about whether the machine would work and asked for another week "just to be sure."

Ray checked with his company and they authorized it for another week, but then it had to go back so they could demonstrate it to other potential customers.

Sure enough, at the end of the second week, Jim still "wasn't sure." But Ray did have to take the machine back. Jim argued about it, but Ray had no choice and took it away.

Now Jim had no machine, but still needed his samples run. So he called Ray and told him was "pretty close" to making a decision. Did Ray's company have a unit of the machine in-house? Ray said that they did.

Then Jim asked Ray to run his sample for him on the in-house machine and send him the printout "just to see" if that was really the equipment he wanted.

Ray agreed. That time...and 15 subsequent times.

There was no 16th time because Jim's experiment was complete.

To no-ones surprise but Ray's, Ray did not make that sale.

I know this story because Jim went around bragging about it to everyone after the fact.

Jim is a jerk.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Jim is also an idiot.

He was BRAGGING about it?
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Yep. Jim thought taking advantage of a sap like Ray made him terribly clever. He honestly thought we'd all admire him for it.

All it did was ensure that everyone knew that there was no point in doing Jim any more favors.
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Well, we all know the old saying:

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me 15 consecutive times, and I am a lackwit of unprecedented proportions.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Maybe I'm just in a sappy mood, but I actually feel sorry for Ray.

Jim deserves to be smacked repeatedly. What a jerk!!
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Jim is an idiot and an asshole, and Ray is a mind-meltingly black hole of naivety and stupidity.

After the machine had been taken away that would be it for me. Jim had two weeks to reach his decision.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
            X