This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ree View Post
    You're sure this was a legitimate occurrence and not "added" to the show to create some drama?

I only ask, because a friend had a family member go on one of those 'reality' shows where they do a room makeover, and, after I watched the show, I was told all kinds of juicy tidbits. There were things that supposedly went wrong, or other dramatic events, and it was all staged.

There was a chair that they wanted to upholster, and the company supposedly 'lost' the material only hours before the big reveal, so they fired the company and had to find another at a moment's notice, and the chair was finished in record time by this new guy.
    What really happened was that the arrangements for the chair to be covered had been made in advance with this second guy.

They sent the woman away for a weekend to do the makeover, and it showed her being pampered and going on three dates with these 'eligible' bachelors.
    They were all actors hired to do a performance, and one was already married.

If this cake show was a real incident, though, the staff should have been fired.
    I don't believe that excuse at all.
    I believe it's a real incident. Food Network rarely does any theatrics in their shows regarding actual businesses. There's always been more of an air of legitimacy with their 'real life' programs than most other networks, at least in my opinion.

Besides the point, they had plenty of drama to begin with having to get the cakes through the checkpoints in the UN. If anything, I believe the hotel incident didn't occur, the actual time for going through the checkpoints would have been stretched and elaborated on instead.

Comment

I'm just adding a little clarification on the cakes that were eaten. Basically, Ace of Cakes had made one big designer cake (which was not touched in any way by the hotel staff) and several sheet cakes. These sheet cakes were very plain with a little piping around the edge. There were not decorated in any way, just sheet cakes for the UN audience to eat because the designer cake would not have fed them all.

Also, a big to the fact that Mary Alice had to argue a little with the hotel manager. Seriously dude, your staff ate 2 cakes worth about $200 each and belonging to a hotel guest. You should have offered immediately to replace them, not wait until the customer suggested this incident would appear on national TV before agreeing to reimburse for damages.
      My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Quoth Listerfiend View Post
        I also love that Mary Alice had to scare the hotel management into taking action by telling them there wasn't a guarantee that the hotel wouldn't be bashed on TV.
        Oh I have got to download that episode NOW.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I know nothing about Ace of Cakes, but I know (because the house across the street from where I lived was done) that Extreme Makeover: Home Edition manufactures all sorts of events and drama for the show.

I particularly like the digitally edited full moon they added to the final shot for that particular house. And a week? Try two weeks, and months and months of rework for shoddy workmanship. Oh, yeah, and the wedding ring from the fake proposal (they have a kid but no intention of ever getting married) that I think they've sold already. (they were friends before the show, which is why I know this stuff)

Oh, and Ty working? The shots you see on the show with him holding a tool are the only times he touches the tools. Ever. All the rest of his time on the set is spent flirting with the pretty-people shills they bus in to make the neighborhood look interested and attractive. As far as I can tell, neighbors are mostly just annoyed at the 24/7 noise of hammers and whatnot, and the restricted access to their streets.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Ace of Cakes is based in Baltimore, and as such have been on the Rock Radio station's morning show a few times. From what they say on the radio everything is real, so take that for what you will.

Comment

I doubt it was faked. They showed Mary Alice flat out saying that the staff "stole" the cakes. The show would edit that out if it was fake, otherwise it opens the door for lawsuits for false statements. I can't see the hotel willing take that kind of bad press.
              I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Let's add in another one.
                I caught an episode of Family Jewles this weekend.
                Gene is in his New York hotel room . . .had breakfast brought in . .. his Kiss out fit is missing.
                Low and behold one of the kitchen staff is trying it on.
                The camera's were allowed to follow the assistant manager while he was searching for it.
                I have to wonder . . .did it really happen like that? Or was it stagged to explain why Kiss was late to TRL?
                With all the make money stuff that Gene says during an episode I have to think it might have really happend and not been staged.

Comment

Quoth Emrld View Post
                  I have to wonder . . .did it really happen like that? Or was it stagged to explain why Kiss was late to TRL?
                  Mentioning TRL in a thread discussing shows being faked tickles my irony bone.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                  X