This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fudrucker's Worker

Husband told me this in the car after leaving Fudrucker's. This happened while I was in the Ladies' room with daughter.

Hubs was sitting at the table, waiting for me & daughter to get out of the bathroom so we could leave.

Worker, young kid, was cleaning up around the tables, and asked hubs if we were done with our plates & stuff.

Then the worker said: "You know you can leave a tip. Some people do. Some people don't." ( )

Then he asked hubs if he liked the burgers. Hubs said, "yeah, they're okay." And the kid said, "I don't. They're too big. I know I should support the place, but I don't want to." (again, on my part as I was listening to this from hubs).

Oy. I love Fudrucker's. But I don't want to run across this kid. Sheesh.

Wow! What a brazen thing to do. I suspect he won't be working there for long. I don't recall seeing a tip jar at Fudruckers. I am wondering which Fudruckers it was (Tysons, Fairfax, Alexandria, Annandale, Woodbridge?). Lately however, I've been getting my hamburger fix at the 5 Guys in Tysons Mall. That was where I told a kid his hand did not belong in the tip jar.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

It's the Fudrucker's in Woodbridge - near Potomac Mills. (I live in Woodbridge ).

Yeah, there are no tip jars at the Fuds. However, the 5 Guys near my house has a tip jar, which I don't understand, 'cos it's like having a tip jar at MickeyD's or Burger King to me.

Comment

I saw a tip jar at a dry cleaners once. I didn't go back.
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

A tip jar ... at a dry cleaners'??? Oy ... the tipping is getting a little out of hand. I'd get "tips" at Roy Rogers, but it was usually only at Christmas time or when I ran a birthday party. But I didn't say, if you want better service, or if you want the birthday party to go better, you have to tip me. I was making minimum wage at the time, and for me, living at home & going part-time to community college, it was perfect for me.

Comment

What's wrong with tipping the dry cleaner? They take care of (usually) the most expensive parts of your wardrobe.
            Last edited by MrSunshineState; 03-23-2008, 04:00 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

I'd like to take issue with a notion (not the person speaking it) that only specific service industries deserve a tip. Sure, I personally have an issue with Buffet workers demanding 15% (I got a dirty spoon and one cup of coffee after waiting 20 minutes NO you aren't getting a tip! But that's another issue..) But if someone, ANYONE serves me with competance and definatly if they go above and beyond, I don't see why NOT to give a tip!

If I'm a regular at a place, once in a while I'll bring by donuts or something, if the service is good. Being offended by the mere appearance of a tip jar? That seems like SC territory to me. Demanding compensation for people entering and ordering?? Not unless it's deducted from your paycheck (like it is for ye olde wait-staff!)

Have you ever WORKED at a dry cleaners?? IT AINT DRY!!! It's a messy, hot and dirty job. And when someone comes in to see a stain that no-one thought was going to come out, bright and clean? Why not throw a buck or two in a tip jar?

I am NOT targetting idrinkarum or marasbaras. I've heard this sentiment before, and frankly I disagree strongly with it. But everyone has opinons.

Good day..

Comment

I used to occasionally get tips for gift wrapping at the bookstore (usually a dollar or 2, but once a guy gave me 5 bucks for wrapping 2 books!). Technically I don't think we're supposed to accept them (though I don't think there's a specific rule about it) and usually I'd refuse, but sometimes a customer would insist. And the customer is always right, right?
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The main reason I posted this story is because the worker was almost demanding in my hubs leaving a tip.

As for everything else, I just think if you're making minimum wage, tips aren't needed. That's just me though. I do tip waiters/waitresses and delivery drivers though.

Comment

Perhaps he has some form of Autism or mild mental retardation that causes him to not grasp some of the "normal" social conventions most of us take for granted? Might explain why he didn't realize his comment was innapropriate.

Comment

Well there is a differance between being rude, and simply having a change jar. I've had people rattle a tip jar in my face when I made a purchase. I laughed at them.

Comment

At my job I'm not even allowed to take tips when carrying out merchandise for people.

I already make well over minimum wage, and corporate wants our carryout service to be part of the overall experience we offer to all customers without making them feel like they have to leave a tip.

This hasn't stopped a couple people from trying to tip me. One lady even shoved a dollar bill in my hand and made me keep it even as I was telling her it was against company policy for me to keep it. I just made sure not to tell anybody about it.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          This hasn't stopped a couple people from trying to tip me. One lady even shoved a dollar bill in my hand and made me keep it even as I was telling her it was against company policy for me to keep it. I just made sure not to tell anybody about it.
                          Yeah, the one time someone tipped me during the holidays, when we had charity gift-wrappers on nights and weekends, but there was no one there at that particular moment, so I put the money in their donation box before I left for the day .

Another time I "donated" it to Starbucks in exchange for a hot chocolate

Comment

I've actually tipped once at Fuddruckers - but it was to the friendly old guy who works there and is super-helpful, as opposed to just someone who bused the table once I put everything onto the tray for him to pick up. Love when we go there and see this guy, especially when grandma is with - he always will pull out her chair for her, act all sweet, and get her coffee and refills. To me, that's worth a tip - as he is going above and beyond. That's the key, I think.

And I think a tip jar can be basically an unspoken request/demand for tips. In some cases, it's nice - like at a Starbuck's, maybe - as a way to put the thought into someone's head. But I used to get annoyed at the 7-11 in my college town - I don't need to tip you for pulling my cigs off the shelf, or simply ringing up my purchase, dude.
                            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

At the movie theater we were not suppose to accept tips. Even someone just telling us to "keep the change". Sometimes we would even help people get their food to the theater, and we still couldn't take tips.

We did anyway. As long as you didn't openly accept one in front of a manager, you were fine.

At my current place, we can accept tips, but they are in NO WAY expected. I find it kind of weird when people do it to be honest, it's not like I'm doing anything extraordinary. I just ring up purchases, take your money, and hand you shoes.

Sure, our credit card slips have a "tip" line, but that's just because the credit card machine prints out a generic receipt, not because we expect tips.

The one thing we do do though is to not take the money in front of the customer. If they leave their change on the counter, we grab it and set it next to the register until no customers are there, and then we pocket it. If someone leaves a tip on their credit card, we wait for everyone to leave, and then bring up the invoice number and the tip amount, and take the cash from the register.
                              <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Working...
                              X