X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this rude?

OK,

Just wondering. The other night I ordered some food to be delivered to my house. While on the phone the lady quoted me $25.50. I added everything up, yeap $25.50. I did think it was a tad odd as it was a public holiday, but made the assumption that they didn't have surcharges.

So the guy finally comes to deliver my food. Then tells me..

"that will be $26.60"

Ok, now it's ONLY a $1.10..ONLY a $1.10...but WTF?

I politely tell him that I was quoted over the phone $25.50. Then he looks at the reciept and goes, well they added this extra $1 charge because it's a public holiday.

This just gave me the shits because I didn't HAVE the extra $1, I had the exact amount I was quoted. That was it. I knew it was a $1.10, only a $1.10, but I was quoted $25.50, you don't tell someone one price then charge them another at the door!

SO He just said to me, "I'm just the guy that delivers"...ok I understand that, I was polite. I just told him all I had was the $25.50 and he was happy to take that. But then added up the stuff and said sorry no, it's actually $25.60. At that point I just cracked it, told him to hold on and did a search for the extra 10c.

OK, so it wasn't the delivery guys fault that they charged me more. But was that rude? In all honesty I've not had that happen before, if I've been quoted a price, thats the price I've paid at the door.
    I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

I'm sure it was just the shock of it all.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Not rude at all. They quoted the price to you.
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Since they have told you one price, they have to honor it.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Wait, perhaps I'm missing something, but what about the tip? Unless this is a "don't you dare tip" sort of place, not-tipping in itself seems pretty rude.

But yeah, random delivery charges do seem rather vexing.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            Wait, perhaps I'm missing something, but what about the tip? Unless this is a "don't you dare tip" sort of place, not-tipping in itself seems pretty rude.
            Agreed.

Mods, I promise not to get off on a tipping tangent. Just one question:

OP, do you live in a country where tipping is customary? If not, yeah - major suck on the part of the store.
            If tipping IS customary where you live, well - no comment.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

No we don't tip here in Australia if it was a simple case of him wanting a tip, I would have made sure to have the money, this was a case of I was quoted one price on the phone and told another price at the door
              I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

So wait, he was willing to take off the delivery charge, but he made you go searching for ten cents?!
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

pretty much.

Comment

Wow! No suck on your part then, definitely. I can't believe he made you hunt down a dime!
                    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I make everyone give all of the money at my till. I don't care if it's a quarter, a dime, or a freaking penny, if you want your crap you have to pay for all of it. No way am I letting my till go short for a perfect stranger. Of course, if you aren't a horrible jerk, I'll be happy to pull a bit of spare change out of my own pocket.
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                        I make everyone give all of the money at my till. I don't care if it's a quarter, a dime, or a freaking penny, if you want your crap you have to pay for all of it.
                        Yeah, and be that as it may, the guy was willing to wave a buck ten at first. When discovering that it was only the ten, he THEN gets hardassed about it?
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                          I make everyone give all of the money at my till. I don't care if it's a quarter, a dime, or a freaking penny, if you want your crap you have to pay for all of it.
                          I understand that. I didn't actually ask him to wave the $1.10. He actually said to me that I could just pay the $25.50. If I had to I would have gone searching for the extra $1. I am more peeved about the fact that I was quoted a price x, then when I got my food I was told price y. Then the guy made me search for 10c after waving the $1.

Comment

Working...
                          X