This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a sighting on camera...

It's kidna hard to see, but yes, that is a guy jaywalking across the meadowbrook expressway only about a minute and a half walk away from a pedestrian bridge

what an idiot (this was just before rush hour too).
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

vrooooooooooooooooooooooom!

screeeeeeeeeeeeech!

bee-booo-bee-booo-bee-booo.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

It doesn't really look like there are too many cars on the road (but the picture can't show everything) so I guess if it was safe, then why not, right?
      But then again I'm a compulsive jaywalker. Though I usually get really nice people who stop for me and I've turned jaywalking into an artform.

PS those moutains are kickass. I've never seen one in real life.
      Stupid no-mountain Ontario garbage face.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
        It doesn't really look like there are too many cars on the road (but the picture can't show everything)

PS those moutains are kickass. I
        yeah, what the camera doesn't show is that those 2 cars are the first 2 cars from a light that turned green half a mile back so they were up to speed...

that aside, the stupid is why are you crossing a road where people are going 45 to 60 mpg when there is a bridge?

and you'll hate me, but those are the smaller mountains... the bigger ones are behind me.
        Last edited by Ree; 03-29-2008, 02:17 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

Ah, those mountains. The reason my dad (from southern Utah) calls NY's mountains "speed bumps."

Seriously, you're in Utah, right? Jaywalking dangerous roads is a way of life there, from what I recall.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
            Jaywalking dangerous roads is a way of life there, from what I recall.
            yeah it is a way of life... and I admit I've done it before... but not within 100 feet of a pedestrian bridge...
            I enjoy the thrill of jay walking as much as the next guy... but seriously, I know how dangerous it is and I don't have a death wish so I avoid it if I can...
            Last edited by Ree; 03-29-2008, 02:18 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

I can say I jaywalk excessively across the busy road I live on, purely because theirs sufficient breaks in the traffic to allow for it.

I'm admittedly lazy, and I generally don't feel like walking to the nearest sets of traffic lights to cross the road when theirs a break in the traffic and I can run across 4 or 5 lanes of traffic rather easily.
              - Boochan

Comment

There's a radio ad around here at about jaywalking... "So you think it's safe to jay walk. To cross when the light is red. To stand on the white line as cars go zooming by. Last year 500* other people thought the same thing. Some were seriously injured, the rest are even worse off."

*I forget the actual figure, but it's around 500.

Comment

Maybe he wasn't going anywhere near the bridge and it was out of his way to do so.
                  Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                    Maybe he wasn't going anywhere near the bridge and it was out of his way to do so.
                    actually he ended up going to the bus stop... even closer to the bridge than where he crossed...

and I'll admit, I've jaywalked across some pretty stupid streets (redwood and state come to mind) but that's only if it will be more than a block out of my way to get to the nearest ped bridge or stoplight... he was going to a bus stop closer to the bridge than where he crossed... that's just stupid...

Comment

When people jaywalk across busy streets when there is a corner nearby to cross legally is stupid.

It's criminally stupid for those same people to do the same thing with their gradeschool aged children in tow!

I see people doing that all the time, and at least half of the time they're not even holding the kid's hand while they do it!

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

A couple years ago I was on one road here, classified as a parkway, two lanes in either direction with a median about 4 feet wide. This road is about 2 or 3 miles long. Speed limit is 55, but most people are doing 60-65. There is plenty of space on the sides, all grass, that if someone was walking, they wouldn't be near the traffic at all. Then why am I bringing this up? Because this day there was a guy walking in the median. Not crossing, going in the same direction as traffic. Called 911, and they told me they'd already been informed. A little while later, I was heading back in the opposite direction, and they must have gotten to him, because he was no longer in the median, instead he was right on the edge of the road. Called 911 again, and told them he was still there being a hazard to traffic. Not sure what happened to him after that, but there were no reports of someone being hit on that road in the news.

Comment

Oy, don't get me started on jay-walkers. Most of the ones around here are just simply too lazy to walk 10 feet to the corner. We've had a few trying to jay-walk on I-25 and I-40. Never ends well.

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                          Ah, those mountains. The reason my dad (from southern Utah) calls NY's mountains "speed bumps."
                          Well....when you've got King's Peak (Utah's highest peak) at 13528 ft, Wheeler Peak (New Mexico's highest peak) at 13161 ft and Colorado and Arizona around the same elevation, that does tend to make Mount Marcy at 5344 ft look like a speed bump!

Even more OT that the above....I was talking to a woman who thought that because Ben Nevis is in the Highlands that it was automatically a taller peak than what we have here in NM! Ben Nevis=4400 ft; Sandia Peak=10600ft so, um....not!
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I'll admit I jaywalk quite a bit. For some odd reason in the area I live in it is actually safer to do so. I've seen cars stop for jaywalkers, and every time I try to cross at the lights I've had some jackass almost hit me. (I've had to jump out of the way more them once)
                            It's gotten to the point where I've given up trying to cross at the lights, and I'll wait 10 minutes for it to be clear and walk through the middle of the road.
                            It's the same in the parking lots around here. If you try to cross in the pedestrian lines the cars will try to hit you, but as long as you outside those lines the cars will stop.
                            It is the oddest thing I've ever seen.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                              Sounds like me. I won't walk the 100 feet to the crosswalk when I leave the bus station because that would mean I'd have to walk to the lights, cross, then walk BACK to the same relative spot I was in to get home.

The one benefit of crossing where I do is that the streetcars have to turn out of the station to get onto the main road, and in doing so they cut right through the traffic giving me ample time to cross while the cars are all stopped and safely on the other side of the large, multi-ton beast.

Comment

Working...
                              X