This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NWA and an epic journey [long]

As some have requested in another thread, I will relate the story of me, my wife and our menagerie traveling across this wonderful nation I now call home

Items to transport:
    Me, My wife, 5 cats and 2 ferrets.

Departing: South Bend, Indiana
    Target destination: Yakima, Washington

Per the web site (having done a lot of research as I don't want to stress the animals any more than I have to) I book the flights on NWA.com, and then call customer service to book the animals.

Told that the flights from Seattle to Yakima do not transport animals, so will have to end flight in Seattle. Not a problem - my company gives a very generous moving allowance, so I book a People carrier to get from Seattle to Yakima. Then I am told that ferrets are not pets , and they have to go freight - not available from South Bend, so I make arrangements for a work colleague to take them to Kalamazoo, Michigan (This will become significant later)

So bookings are made, fees are paid and everything seems to be organized.

Day of flight - should be a 12 hour journey

Show up at South Bend airport, and check in the 5 cats and our luggage. Wander off to store to get coffee. About 5 minutes later we are being pages back to the check in desk. Evidently at South Bend they can only take one animal per flight, and they can only travel with their owners. Not intending to call up another 3 people to join flights I ask what can be done.

Cue a 15 minute wait while they decide what can be done.

They come back
    - sorry we can't do anything her, but there is a plane that departs from Kalamazoo that can take all the animals on one flight.
    - OK. how about transport?
    - Your problem, but we have this voucher for $250 each of your next flight.

As I have a deadline to get into my new location tomorrow, we end up doing a one way rental to Kalamazoo ($100) - During this, they manage to get only 1/2 our luggage off the flight, the rest is going to Seattle without us.

[And we really look a picture with 5 wailing cats perched on a luggage cart]

At Kalamazoo we book the cats in for the 2nd time, and fortunately find out the ferrets have gone on an earlier flight.
    While sitting on the tarmac waiting to pull away from the gate, and being handed our receipt for the cats (should have been 5 receipts, but the person loading them didn't keep hold of the paperwork - we would have raised another fuss, but we had seen the cats actually loaded onto the plain from our vantage point) the pilot discovers a fault with the plane, and we have to get off and wait for the mechanic. As Kalamazoo is a small airport, they do not have a mechanic there, so they have to wait to get one flown in from Detroit.

2 hours pass (very slowly)

We see other passengers from our flight going to the gate, but nothing has been said to us. We go to the check-in, and we are only then told that our plane will be delayed 6 hours. Hmm... still doesn't get me to work on time.

I ask if we are still booked on the flight from Detroit.
    - Yes we are. We can put you up in a hotel either here or Detroit.
    - What about not paying for 2 adults and 5 cats (and good luck getting a hotel that will take that many) and paying for a one way rental to Detroit?
    - Sorry, can't do that

I decide not to risk the company trying to get us in a hotel anywhere, and take another one way rental from Kalamazoo to Detroit ($120)

I'm not going to tell you exactly how fast I drove to get to Detroit until Status of Limitations runs out........

Check in to Detroit with 30 minutes to spare, and check in the cats for the 3rd time that day.

Finally make it to Seattle, and call cargo to see when they shut. Now, they say. My poor ferrets.. Fortunately one of them takes pity on me and agrees to hold cargo open for me for a few minutes.

Make it to the luggage area, and my wife goes about getting the animals and baggage from our trip. I see about our luggage that arrived earlier (we know this because while waiting at Detroit, NWA does actually call us and let us know it's at Seattle). The can't find it. I leave my wife trying to sort this out, and go and get the rental car. Get to cargo, and pick up our precious 2. Get back to the terminal to load baggage. They can't find our luggage, and claim it was never sent. After 30 minutes going back and forth with this, baggage claim actually bothers to scan our baggage claim tickets, and find they do have it. Cue 15 minutes while they search for it. They do eventually find it - in the baggage claim office. Now comes trying to get everything out. We ask for a cart
    - We don't have any you can use.
    - What about that big flat trolley over there?
    - That's for our use.
    - Well, I'm going to use it
    - You can't
    - Come with me if you think we are going to take it, but you have caused us to be 11 hours late, we have 4 large pieces of luggage and 5 cat carriers. I'm going to use it.
    - Well, OK.

Yes, this epic journey made us arrive in Seattle 11 (yes ELEVEN) hours later than scheduled, put kitties and ferrets under extra stress because of the extra coop up time, and after all that I still did not get to work on time because after all that all I was going to do was get to the nearest pet friendly hotel, and crash ($150 with Pet fees)

Contacted customer service to see if anything could be done about the expenses I incurred, but they do not reimburse for that (That sounds familiar.. where did I hear that before?)

This is the reason I will not be flying NWA

While I don't blame you at all about your choice to never fly with them ever again, did you ever tell the people working to book your flights about how many animals you were transporting?

Thankfully, these days, there are special carriers who do nothing but transport pets from place to place.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

i never try to take pets on airlines - it might take longer but Amtrak or Ryder are much better companies about pets if you live in USA

Comment

Poor fuzzies {{kitties and ferrets}}

We'd never take McGriff on a plane unless there was absolutely no other option; he's a fairly laid-back cat and the noise and chaos would probably send him into another heart attack. I have seen cats in carriers in the cabin, most of them looked sedated (although there once was an adorable tortoiseshell whose owner was able to open the carrier for a bit and she glommed onto me for half the trip).
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          While I don't blame you at all about your choice to never fly with them ever again, did you ever tell the people working to book your flights about how many animals you were transporting?

Thankfully, these days, there are special carriers who do nothing but transport pets from place to place.

^-.-^
          Yes we did - thats how I found out they don't classify ferrets as pets. and as there were 5 charges on the credit card, they knew how many we had.

[Edit - 6 charges - ferrets were booked also]
          Last edited by MadonnaC; 03-30-2008, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Wow, epic fail on the airline's part.

A friend bought a dog from the breeder, out of state, so she flew there & back. She contacted airline & airport ahead of time. Bought a 2nd seat for the dog's crate (toy breed) and still someone in security (at one, one, airport) was giving her crap about checking her dog & not taking it on board with her.
            I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

This is why if I ever have to fly with pets, I am getting a statement from the booking agent saying it's okay in writing, preferrably via certified mail, before I have to take the flight, just so I can show people in security and the ticket counters.

I'm sorry for the suck, MadonnaC. May your future flights be more successful.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Ferrets aren't pets ? They make little sweaters for them and everything. I've always considered them pets...
                "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
                George Carlin

Comment

I've only taken a cat on a flight once, 20+ hours across the ocean is not fun. Luckily the vet gave us some lovely drugs and she was fine. Better than my brothers who were 4 and 6 at the time.
                  How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

What they [the world] needs is a national pet delivery service. I'd be happy to do the job.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Whyme View Post
                      Ferrets aren't pets ? They make little sweaters for them and everything. I've always considered them pets...
                      Actually, whether a ferret is a pet or not depends on the laws of the state.

For example, in Nevada, you can buy a ferret or a cerval (I soooo want a cerval for a pet) in local pet stores and take them home.

In California, however, ferrets and cervals are not allowed as pets. Ferrets are generally flat out illegal to own (outdated laws that they refuse to change, and there are a lot of advocates fighting that battle), and cervals are considered "exotic" and require a license.

Now, I can understand the exotic pets laws as regards most of the animals they are attached to. However, at this point, most pet cervals are just as domesticated and could be just about as common as cats and dogs.

I'm just going to have to content myself with a bengal cat for my spotted goodness in the meantime.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

After hearing about the condition of many plane's cargo holds...I'm NEVER flying with my critters if I can avoid it. In many cases those holds aren't heated, meaning that they can get seriously below freezing for some time.
                        Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                          What they [the world] needs is a national pet delivery service. I'd be happy to do the job.
                          As I mentioned earlier, there are already national pet delivery services. Just doing a very basic Google search for pet and mover comes up with a whole host of various companies that do nothing but move pets for their owners.

Not only does it make moving that much easier on a family, but it also helps when there are issues of quarantines to deal with.

^-.-^

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                            After hearing about the condition of many plane's cargo holds...I'm NEVER flying with my critters if I can avoid it. In many cases those holds aren't heated, meaning that they can get seriously below freezing for some time.
                            That's why I chose NWA - they have a section of the plane set aside for animals that is temperature controlled.

Comment

When TTO and I eventually move to Canada, Hops is coming with. It'll cost a buttload of money, but I'm not leaving him behind. Luckily, there's a very well reccomended company that moves pets from one country to another, and they do it in such a way that the pets have minimal stress put on them. Petwings - but they're a SA company.
                              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                              X