This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Doggy

I guess this is a Sighting because it did happen at a business establishment.

I was on vacation with my family last summer and on one of the few days that we did not go to the beach, we went to a Go-Kart place. After racing for a few hours, we went back to the car for a break.

The Go-Kart place a nice shaded area right beside our car where we could relax.

As I was standing drinking a water, I noticed a family about 20 feet away at their van. They had a cute little dog with them (a Scottie, I think.) Suddenly, one of the boys pours water on the dog. I'm thinking Then the boy puts the dog back into the van, and they head back into the Go-Kart place.

Now, I'm It's about 95 degrees outside. No way is that dog going to be okay in the van.

I have to do something about this. I know some of you might think that I should not butt into it, but I really care about dogs. Plus, one of my friend's mom left her dog in her car (this really was accidental) and the poor dog died. I was not about to let this dog's death be on my conscience.

I give them the benefit of the doubt though. Maybe they won't stay much longer. I head back in telling my family that I have to use the bathroom since they didn't notice any of this.

I overheard one of the boys asking, I assume the mother, about the dog. She tells him that he will be okay as they have already been there for five hours. 5 hours! and they will only be a few more hours.

I considered saying something to the family, but they were some really big people who looked like you shouldn't mess with them. And, at the time, I was only 16. No way am I going up to them.

At this point I should mention that the Go-Kart place had a doggie kennel just for these instances. Instead of paying, the family was risking the life of their dog.

So I go up to the manager and recount to him everything I've heard and seen so far and point out the family to him and describe the van to him. He kinda sighs, commenting that this happens all the time unfortunately. I asked him what could be done. Was he going to approach the family? Go look at the car? What?

He tells me that he is tired of people leaving their dogs in their cars. I guess he had a soft spot for dogs too?

He tells me he'll take care of it - that I don't need to worry.

I go back out to my car and my family and tell them what's been going on.

A few minutes later a Animal Control car shows up. I'm again. I had no clue that the manager was going to call them. I assumed the manager went and got the family because they come out and looked pissed. My family and I go back into the Go-Kart place and I go up to the manager.

He tells me that, I believe the offense was mistreating a dog, is a punishable offense in that state and that the family is going to have to pay a fine.

All I wanted to do was keep a dog from getting hurt. Now, the dog's owners have to pay alot of money because they broke the law.

I'm still wondering...... did I do the right thing? I mean, I did kinda ruin the family's vacation. But still.
    Last edited by Aramika; 03-31-2008, 12:58 AM. Reason: grammar
    "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

You did the right thing, they need to learn that this is unacceptable behaviour and sometimes that means they need to pay money out or relinquish the dog to the authorities PLUS pay the fine.

Comment

Quoth Aramika View Post
      All I wanted to do was keep a dog from getting hurt. Now, the dog's owners have to pay alot of money because they broke the law.

I'm still wondering...... did I do the right thing? I mean, I did kinda ruin the family's vacation. But still.
      They may have had issues to deal with during their vacation because of this - but YOU did not "ruin" their vacation. They chose to act as they did. Therefore any and all consequences of their actions are due to them. Not you. You didn't force them to leave the dog in the car for that length of time and then get them in trouble with the law for it. And while I'm sure it was not a fun thing to deal with, it should not in any way be considered to be completely ruining their entire trip.

Besides it *would* have actually ruined their vacation to come back when they were done having their fun and have a fatally sick or dead dog in their van. That doggie owes you, and I hope his family learned a lesson and treat him better now.

Comment

Yes, my dear, you did the right thing!

Honestly, the manager probably figured that if the owners had to pay a fine, they may not treat their animal like a stuffed animal again. I'm with him, I would have called animal control; it may have even been part of company policy.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

It's illegal here to leave an animal in a car. I have had many customers call the police themselves and wait by the offender's car for the police to show up. The offender then gets a ticket from the cop and tongue lashing from both cop and fellow customers.

You did the right thing. Dogs are people to (some are better than people in my opinion). I have moved cross country and back with all my cats and they went where I did. I can't imagine leaving them in the car while I eat (we checked into a hotel first, then ate or ate on the road), never mind leaving them in a vehicle for over 5 hours. It's just plain wrong.
          "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
          George Carlin

Comment

You did the right thing, so don't let it get to you. It was their choice to leave the poor dog in the car, and so they must face the consequences (you're free to choose to do whatever you want, but you're not free to choose whether you face the consequences too). You probably saved that dog's life. Maybe next time they'll think twice about leaving it in the car.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

How did YOU ruin a family's vacation? Did you tell them to abuse their dog?

Do not let minor, petty details ever derail you from doing the right thing. Put it this way: Was their vacation worth the price of their dog dying a horrible, awful death? Was it so important in the grand the scheme of things that they have a good time without having to be held accountable for breaking the law and abusing their pet that a poor innocent animal should roast to death?

Of course not. You did the right thing. And even if you knew all that would happen as a result of your actions, you STILL should have done the right thing.

Also, put it another way: How would you have felt if you'd done what you did and no action was taken, ending with the dog's death? Trust me, any remorse you have for inconveniencing a family of thoughtless, abusive idiots on their vacation would pale in comparison to the guilt you would have if a dog roasted to death while you stood by and did nothing.

Maybe these pigs learned something.

So yeah. You did the right thing.

Comment

Oh, there is absolutely no question at all.

You did the right thing by doing something.

Remember that pets don't have the ability to speak for themselves, so sometimes it takes someone else to do the speaking for them when some human who should know better is mis-treating them.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm jumping on the "You did the right thing" bandwagon.
                  That poor doggie cannot open doors or windows, or even turn the aircon on if it gets hot. It cannot holler "OY! I'm getting hot and thirsty in here, move it!".
                  You spoke up because the dog couldn't. And for that, I salute you.
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

In my opinion, letting their dog die in sweltering heat would have ruined the vacations of the kids in that family. Screw the parents; they're obvious idiots who don't give a flying f-ck about a loving animal.

Comment

HELL YEAH ya did the right thing! Those people don't deserve a puppy dog if they're gonna treat the pup like THAT!

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                      Yes, my dear, you did the right thing!

Honestly, the manager probably figured that if the owners had to pay a fine, they may not treat their animal like a stuffed animal again. I'm with him, I would have called animal control; it may have even been part of company policy.
                      Oi, why don't you share your own sucky-pet-owners tales from the Motel here?
                      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Um, this is abit of a no brainer, of course you did the right thing.

I'm generally in favour of how we retrieve distressed animals over here, we dont mess around.

Your window is broken.

Then the RSPCA is called.

All in all an acceptable outcome.

You did nothing wrong at all, in fact you may have saved the animals life, whats wrong with that?
                        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

You did the right thing.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Srsly. Would you be wondering if you did the right thing if it was a baby?

It was still a living thing locked in a potentially deadly environment. If you ask me, the family deserved the inconvenience.

Comment

*applauds*

yes, you definitely did the right thing; the dog could have died (death by dehydration is agony).

this family of mental midgets needs more than just mere 'inconvienence' to clue them in on what cruelty is...

*my faith in humanity has slid another notch down, past abysmal*
                              look! it's ghengis khan!
                              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                              X