Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not only did do the right thing, in the process of ruining their vacation you may well have saved their children and grandchildren.

People taught to abuse animals as children do so all their lives, pass it on to their children, and generally abuse their children as well. I have statistics to prove it- did a term paper on it at one point. Perhaps seeing the ACO cite their parents and hopefully seeing their parents pay a lot of money and lose their dog for their wrongdoing will give those children a chance to grow up to be kind to their animals and children and spouses.
    My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

I will admit that our dog has been left in the car, but that car is always parked in the shade, the windows are open, the dog has a big bowl of water, and it's never for more than about fifteen minutes. If it's going to be a longer trip, or it's very hot out, someone stays with the dog so we can keep the AC running.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Leaving a dog in a vehicle for hours is inexcusable, so don't worry about ratting them out.

When we had a dog, we did occasionally leave him in the car if it was only going to be for a few minutes, otherwise someone would stay with him and fetch him a bowl of water.

Now, I did get some people who would just go off on me for leaving the dog out there at all and threaten to call the police, etc. I loved my dog, he was awesome. Just because I was heading into a store and leaving him in the car doesn't mean I'm committing a horrible act of abuse.

It's a fine line, really, but if I overheard what you did, I'd probably have just called the police myself.

Comment

On cool days, with windows cracked and a bone to chew, I leave the Incredible Pooch in the car, briefly, as an exercise in patience and to make my life more convenient. He has mild separation anxiety and it is good for him to understand that any time I leave him alone, I am coming back and there is no need to worry, and that in fact he'll have a pleasant time people watching and chewing a bone while I'm gone.

But it doesn't take a genius to figure out where the line between convenience and abuse is.
          My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

I love the local mall for their dog-in-car policy. if a customer sees a dog in a car, they just have to flag down a security officer. a few officers will stay outside with the car, while customer service pages the ENTIRE MALL with "would the owner of (car type) liscence number (*****) please return to your car.
            the officers count out 20 minutes, unless the animal seems to be indistress.
            then they break out the window and take the dog.
            if the animal seems to be distressed, then they break it out right away.

makes for good fun when the family goes to see security for their car being broken into and sees the dogg wittin g in the office. (and yes, they do call the cops and reposrt them for their finings. )
            Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

something I forgot to mention....

I just remembered this part.

When the manager told me that it was a punishable offense to leave a dog in a car in that county, he also told me that it was not a punishable offense to leave a child in a car. I gave him a look and he just shrugged.

Guess that county cares more about dogs than people.
              "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Aramika View Post
                most child abuse laws are based off of old animal abuse laws-as sadly in some areas children(and wives) were thought of as or property, and not protected. Animals however could be bought and sold, and did work-so they were more highly protected from abuse.
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

YES! You absolutely positively did the right thing!

Quoth Aramika View Post

When the manager told me that it was a punishable offense to leave a dog in a car in that county, he also told me that it was not a punishable offense to leave a child in a car. I gave him a look and he just shrugged.

I'm fine with that. I am an animal lover. I can't stand people
                  Last edited by Broomjockey; 04-05-2008, 01:33 AM. Reason: merged

Comment

That family gave you a choice; the consequences of which would be with you all your life.

Can you live for the rest of your life with the knowledge that, by not doing anything, you let a dog roast to death in a car?

Can you live for the rest of your life with the knowledge that you had a small part in saving a dog and getting a family fined?

If you were wrong about the family, they have avenues of appeal; and the animal control officers would also have used their judgement before fining the family; and - well, lots of safeguards in case you were wrong.

You made the choice you can live with.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Re: animal vs people abuse

An old friend had a problem with a family a couple of houses over abusing their baby. They called CPS, but without any obvious evidence, they couldn't do anything. However, they did mention that since the family had a dog, and they were also abusing the dog, then animal services could be called, and once animal services were in the house (they had more rights to enter a house on suspicion), then they'd call CPS about the baby.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

You are awesome! I have a softspot for dogs too, so I KNOW you did the right thing. I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who mistreats any animal.
                        Windows Operating System is an oxymoron."

Oh, You want instant Gratification? Go f*ck yourself then!
                        I found the problem. /dev/clue was linked to /dev/null

Comment

There's very little in this world that sickens me more than seeing people abuse or neglect their dogs. In my eyes you're a hero!
                          "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
                          "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
                          --Dilbert

Comment

Getting a pet is like having a child (Obviously to a lesser degree, but you get the point). It's a responsibility you have to take care of, do not get one if you can't handle said responsibility.

That being said, the only thing I would have done different was call animal control, and skip the manager. A lot of dogs don't do high/low temperatures well, and dehydration can be a problem. As much as I hate the animal control, that family got what was coming to them. Leaving a dog in a CAR on a HOT day for HOURS...
                            I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                            In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Working...
                            X