Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meandering and Moseying at McD's (and the post is long, boring and whiny, too)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meandering and Moseying at McD's (and the post is long, boring and whiny, too)

There's a McDonald's across the street from the BART station where I catch the bus that takes me across SF Bay. It does a lot of business because of its location. There are two buses that pick up from that station to cross the bay, as well as a number of local buses. There is also a magnet high school. There are several shopping centers within a few blocks, as well as some doctors' offices, a park, and a softball field. Long story long, it's a busy area.

This place drives me crazy. This has got to be the slowest McDonald's on the planet. A McDonald's staffed by zombies from the originally Night of the Living Dead could serve customers faster. This is the latest, not the only story I have from there.

This morning I had about 18 minutes from the time my train came in until my bus left to walk about one block to this McDonald's to grab some food (I had an MRI this morning and hadn't had breakfast and I was hungry). I'm not a McD's lover, but the idea is that you get in, order and get out fairly quickly, which is what I needed.

I walk in and, yea!, no one is in line (it's about 11:00 am). The lead or AM (different shirt, I don't know) is wiping off the cookie displays and counters. (One thing about this place, it is always very clean.) She tells me she'll help me in a moment, at the other register. Fine. I go there and wait. She continues down the counter, slowly. I'm waiting. It's a really long counter. Finally she comes back. I order a Big Kid's meal, plus Apple Dippers and a bottle of water to go. How long should this take? Two, three minutes? Oh, you are so wrong.

No one in that restaurant moves faster than mosey. I'm serious. They don't walk, they wander. She wanders here, she wanders there. I'm not really sure if she's actually getting my food, or if she's just visiting various parts of the restaurant. After a couple of stops, she wanders back to tell me that they are out of the dipping sauce for the apples. Do I still want them? I shake my head, and plainly tell her, no, I don't want them, twice. She then starts putting my meal together. Then she finds that there is no water in the refrigerator. She sends back another employee to get water. He meanders to the back. I consider cancelling the water as I check the clock on the wall.

Finally, my meal is on the counter, but still no water. I check the clock again and consider walking out without the water, as the other employee has not reappeared, and the lead is now taking orders from other customers. Things are not getting better.

Aha! My water appears. I check the clock. Okay, I'm still good. I get my water and toss it in my shopping bag and go to grab my meal. The lead suddenly reappears with a small bag and tells me she is getting my Apple Dippers, then walks away. I blink, then think that, maybe, in his meanderings, the other employee stumbled on the dipping sauce. I wait. Just as I am about to hit the time limit, the lead reappears with the apples, bags them and tries to hand them to me. I tell her that I told her before that I didn't want them without the sauce. I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to get my money back, and maybe I should just go, when she just pops the drawer and hands me $1.30. I'm sure I was shorted the tax, but I don't care, I'm out of there.

Total time to get a Big Kid's meal, from the time I entered the restaurant until the time I walked out the door, with a full crew, no one in line, no one in the drive-thru: 11 minutes.

This is a regular thing with this McDonald's. It easily takes 10 minutes to get a meal. A single meal. Nothing special. No line in the restaurant. No line in drive-thru.

I walked in one morning just to get a bottle of milk. I was starving and wanted something to carry me for the bus trip. I stood at the counter (again, no one in line, full crew) while the leads/managers/whatever, stood and talked. I stood and watched the clock for three minutes while they ignored me completely. I finally walked out.

At this point, I'm ready to complain. It's a consistent pattern. The only reason that location can stay in business is because of their location.

</endwhinyrant>
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Yea thats too long specially when they need to be dealing with people moving from bus to train and trian to bus.

Our McD's can get a line in and out in that amount of time. The longest I ever had to wait was four mins when their was no line.

Comment

Definitely complain to corporate. While McD's isn't exactly fine dining .. it's supposed to be fast, clean, and consistent. That's what they sell.
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Hey! I've been to that McDonald's! I think I was meeting up with some other kids to try out a nearby LARP...

But yeah, that place is very very clean. I think they're slow because they resent people coming in and dirtying up the place so they've taken a passive aggressive approach to discouraging customers
        Flood

Comment

The McDonalds nearest to me seems to have a fetish for pulling me over to the side.

Last time I was there, I ended up behind somebody who must've ordered for an entire family because the screen still said their total was over $30. I also noticed a bunch of special notes like "no ketchup, no pickles" for some of the burgers.

It took them at least 5 minutes to get their order ready at the window. Then I pull up--and get asked to pull over to the side right away. All I ordered was one extra value meal.

Now this may be SC-ish of me to ask, but wouldn't it have made more sense to pull over the person in front of me? They were the one tying up the line. They could get me my food quicker and keep the drive-thru line moving at least.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            At this point, I'm ready to complain. It's a consistent pattern. The only reason that location can stay in business is because of their location.
            At this point?

Hell, I'd have been ready to complain after the second incident I had like that.

Corporate needs a little cage-rattling to let them know their image (such as it is) is being tarnished by one of their shops.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh
              It took them at least 5 minutes to get their order ready at the window. Then I pull up--and get asked to pull over to the side right away. All I ordered was one extra value meal.
              Was it a crispy chicken or fish sandwich? Or McNuggets? Those all have horrifyingly long cook times, and that may have explained it. The manager or expo might have told the cashier to pull you over, not realizing the order ahead of yours was a nightmare. When I order nuggets and get pulled over, it makes me happy because I know they are fresh.

If it was a Big mac or something, they get a big old
              "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Yeah, it was a chicken sandwich.

At least I have an explanation then.

Comment

There is another slow a$$ Mc Donalds like that at the PA turnpike rest stop. East bound right after the OH border.

Incident 1: 15 mins for a Big Mac value meal
                  Incident 2: 20 mins for an iced coffee and an orange juice

Haven't gone back in since.

And no they weren't that bussy (3 customers including me and 5 staff members in sight each time)

Comment

Quoth It shouldn't View Post
                    There is another slow a$$ Mc Donalds like that at the PA turnpike rest stop. East bound right after the OH border.

Incident 1: 15 mins for a Big Mac value meal

Haven't gone back in since.

And no they weren't that bussy (3 customers including me and 5 staff members in sight each time)
                    I've been to that rest stop McDonald's...I used to go to school in Pittsburgh and drove to visit family back home in NW Ohio every couple of weeks.

I am pretty sure I have an idea what the problem at that particular store is, though, considering that on one occasion an employee there asked me if I wanted to buy some pot. No, I did not know them, nor had I ever seen them before.

Talk about an upsell...
                    "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                    -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

did they pick, roast, grind the beans and brew it fresh? were the oranges fresh picked and sqeezed?

serious case of ness there.
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
                        an employee there asked me if I wanted to buy some pot. No, I did not know them, nor had I ever seen them before.

Talk about an upsell...

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
                          I am pretty sure I have an idea what the problem at that particular store is, though, considering that on one occasion an employee there asked me if I wanted to buy some pot. No, I did not know them, nor had I ever seen them before.

Talk about an upsell...
                          I Can see it now.......

[walks up to counter]

Yes, I like a Big Mac value meal w/ a diet coke. Oh, can you McDoobie size it for me, thanks.

I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth marlovino View Post
                            Yes, I like a Big Mac value meal w/ a diet coke. Oh, can you McDoobie size it for me, thanks.
                            Ok, now I can't go to McDs for a while! That's is hilarious!
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post

I am pretty sure I have an idea what the problem at that particular store is, though, considering that on one occasion an employee there asked me if I wanted to buy some pot.

Talk about an upsell...
                              Now that's what I call a Happy Meal!

Comment

Working...
                              X