This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am an idiot (Self Sighting)

This actually happened several years ago. I went to the grocery store, and since I was only picking up a few things (toothpaste and deodorant) I didn't bother getting a cart. But then as I was picking up the toothpaste and deodorant, I remembered some other things I needed, including cat litter which is damn heavy, so I went back for a cart. At this particular grocery store, the carts were all kept in a coral outside. So I walk up to the front, smile at an employee that I happen to make eye contact with, and waltz right out the door. With unpaid-for deodorant nd toothpaste in my hand. I go out to the coral and get a cart, and I've just started making my way back when I see the employee I smiled at and another employee come running out of the store and stop dead in their tracks when they see me coming back.

Me: *blink* *blink*
    Employee I smiled at: "Are you going to pay for that?"
    Me (bewildered and completely clueless): "I was planning on it, yes."
    Other employee: "Usually we like you to do that before you leave."
    Me (realization dawns and I blush bright red) "Oh my god! I'm so sorry! I'm an idiot!"

And then I ran back in to do the rest of my shopping. The two employees watched me like a hawk the whole time. The one guy must have thought I had some nerve to smile cheerily at him while blatantly shoplifting.

Don't feel bad; I did worse.

I was working for a department store in a mall. I stopped in a bookstore at lunch. I was holding a couple of books when I happened to check the time. Panic! I had five minutes to get clocked in and back on the floor. I was out the door of the bookstore and halfway back to work before I realized I was still carrying the books.

This presents double problems. First, I just shoplifted two books, and, if I remember correctly, they were nice, hardbound books. Second, if I take merchandise in to work, it has to be obviously used or have a receipt, neither of which apply to these books.

Fail is obviously looming for me. I gave up, turned around and ran back to the bookstore, raced up to the clerk at the register, apologized profusely, asked her to hold the books, ran back down the mall to my store, and only clocked in about three minutes late.

I did go back and buy the books on my next break.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Chattonne View Post
      The two employees watched me like a hawk the whole time. The one guy must have thought I had some nerve to smile cheerily at him while blatantly shoplifting.

I had a lady smile at me quite nicely and say hi to me...as she walked out the door with a bulk size Tide detergent in her cart. She hadn't come from the registers so I yelled to the CSM and got them to chase her down (I was working customer service and couldn't leave the area). Yep, she had stolen the Tide. I didn't think she had a nerve, I was just happy she was polite to me
      "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
      George Carlin

Comment

Whoops!

You can always tell the 'real' shoplifters, they run!

Not that that gets them anywhere, it just tires them out for when the Police arrive!
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

On one of those "world's best police videos" shows, there was one video of a group of shoplifters taking stuff and walking right out. It was the second time they'd done it, staff recognized them and called the cops who arrived just as the shoplifters got to the front door.

Comment

What's even funnier is I had a woman do this sunday. At returns I always have people trying to steal my carts. So I tell them put your stuff down here and the carts are outside. I'm at the lumber end not returns and this woman just walks out with 2 items in the hand (not expensive) and I thinking I can't believe she just did that. 10 seconds later she walked back in with a cart and I was even more shocked.

Comment

That almost happened to me on Sunday. I stopped myself in time, but I still feel a little ditzy.
              "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
              "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
              X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Comment

Almost did that once...

Me: *walks past cash registers to basket stack*
                Employee: Uh, ma'am?
                Me: Hmm?
                Employee:
                Me: *shrug* *places items on end of his counter* *gets basket* *gets items* *walks back to aisles*
                Employee: *brain a'splodes*
                "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

At least none of you were Tom Sturgis.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                  X