This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sylvia727 View Post
    Does no one ever take the effort to say "thank you" anymore?
    In my experience this is very uncommon these days. I got a really shocked look from a girl serving in a bar because I said please and thankyou when I ordered my drink. Apparently it doesn't normally happen.

Quite sad really
    Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

With the cashiers I deal with at the local stores, I take note of what is "average" for the store, what is below that, and what is above. I like to try to send compliments for the above, but so far the two cashiers I've had who were above average have had their badges turned around (accident, most likely; it happens) so I couldn't pick up their names without feeling intrusive. Add to that the fact that you can never find a CSM these days, what with the switch to blue shirts instead of red and blue vests at Wal-Mart, and I didn't feel like waiting in a 4-person line at the service desk with a cart full of groceries and a baby who's ready to leave.

Maybe I'll try calling the store tomorrow. Last time, I sent an e-mail with the cashier's number (from the receipt).

I agree, receiving a compliment handed down from your management (from a customer) can really turn the day around. I've had craptacular days that were brightened by the simple information from my CSM that a customer had just approached them to compliment the service I'd given, even if it was merely cheerful and nice.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
        See, I know I'm gonna catch hell for this, but. Good service is your job if you are in the service industry. To me, it's saying something either about the lack of good service, or the abandunce of idiots complaining that it should we should be expected to congratulate people on doing their jobs.

To me a compliment is a day when I don't get a call from the field, or a contractor, architect, engineer, my boss, etc. complaining about something I did.

I wouldn't say 'catch hell', but yeah - if you don't think that someone is worthy of a compliment for going above and beyond, then that's pretty sucky of ya.

But I totally agree with you is what you meant was just average/decent/good service is not usually worthy of a compliment.

Then again, peoples idea of 'above and beyond' is probably varied from person to person too.
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
          I wouldn't say 'catch hell', but yeah - if you don't think that someone is worthy of a compliment for going above and beyond, then that's pretty sucky of ya.

With me, I am gong to say Thank you and give them a compliment. I am not going to call up a company and tell them it. I figure that the company probably will never get around to tell that person, what I told them. But if I tell them, I know they got it. But if that is sucky, then so be it.

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
          Then again, peoples idea of 'above and beyond' is probably varied from person to person too.

exactly
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I don't usually compliment; as has been said, I do so when the employee goes above and beyond. And I will admit to an iota of selfishness in the practice: I want the employees to know what I like so that they'll do it again.

I just found it sad that the overwhelming majority of calls to the manager were for complaints. Maybe most people show their appreciation financially? I would have, if I'd been thinking quickly enough. But I'd already counted out the tip, so I wasn't on my feet.
            "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
              Good service, etc. should be rewarded....sadly, most customers fail to do so, and will only complain. I've actually sent emails to corporate about service i've gotten in stores.

At Thanksgiving, the outlets near my mom open at midnight, for midnight madness...with extra savings...my cousin made me go...hehehe - and we are waiting outside a particular store, think high end leather purses, etc.
              Coach? Was it worth going there at midnight? I'm addicted to their bags now

Comment

It's interesting that, in a thread recently, we had a discussion about managers not patting people on the back, and only speaking up when the staff makes a mistake.

I said, "There aren't a lot of jobs out there where the manager pats the employees on the back regularly.
                Sure, an occasional 'good job' or positive feedback help, but the reality is, the squeaky wheel usually gets the grease, and managers tend to focus only on the areas where there are problems.
                "

There were several comments saying that positive feedback was important, both for the self esteem of the employee, and to help them gauge whether they were doing the job properly.

I think the same principle applies here

I was taught very early to say thank you.

Sure, people are doing the job that's expected of them and that they are being paid to do, but does it hurt to offer feedback to their supervisor and ask them to pass along a pat on the back, even if they haven't actually gone above and beyond?

There is a cashier at the grocery store where I shop. She hasn't done anything out of the ordinary, but I always make it a point to go to her cash because she is so pleasant and efficient. She is just a really nice person. One day, I went to her supervisor and told her what a great cashier that girl was. It made me feel good to do that.

I have been to other places where the people haven't gone above and beyond, but they performed their job well, and I will usually try to let a supervisor know that.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I felt the same way when I held the door open for an old lady with a cane once, and she went on about how no one ever does that anymore. What's wrong with people?
                  It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                  -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

2 months ago Stephen a friend of mine was flying over to Perth from Melbourne for a seven month long contract. He had a hell of a lot of stuff to take with him because he was going to be living in another city for a fair while. I was with him at the airport because I gave him the lift there, and to provide a little bot of (im)moral support.

So, we get into the check in line and proceed to check him in. Now, Stephen has a hell of a lot of stuff he's taking with him, most of it geekery (computer bits and electronic gadgets, etc). Occupational Health and Safety regulations state that no bag may be heavier than 32kg (about 70lbs). He has two big bags, one of which he thinks will be fine, the other may be too heavy.

The first bag, the one that should be fine, is put on the scales. It comes in at 32.1kg. Young lady behind the counter says that's less than 32kg, so it's ok. The second one however...

43kg is a bit much, so Stephen needs to do a repack. Oh dear. She asks whether he has another bag, and he answers in the kind-of affirmative (should be able to reorganise everything into one of the two other bags he's carrying). She gives him a free bag anyway (one of those stripy plastic bags you see at discount shops a lot).

So, we wander away from the check in desk to a quiet corner so Stephen can do the repack. He moves a lot of stuff from the heavy bag, into the new one or into his carry on bag, and one thing from the lighter bag (that way it actually was under 32kg) into the new one as well.

So then we get in line again and end up getting the same young lady again (Megan I think her name was). He ends up with 5 checked in items. The bag that was 32.1kg ends up being 31.5kg, the other one drops from 43kg to 31.8kg (just...), plus a LCD monitor still in it's original packing, another shoulder bag that had more stuff in it, and the extra bag that he was given. Qantas allows 2 bags per person, and he had 5, so she was going to have to charge him for the excess baggage. Now, 5 minus 2 equals 3, so she charged him for 2 extra bags. She said she gave him a discount because he already had to do a repack.

Then it was back to the sales desk to pay for the excess baggage ($22 per item, not too bad). He now finally had everything checked in, and had his boarding pass, so he was set. We then went in search of a supervisor. We asked around, and got pointed to one. Stephen went up the gentleman that was pointed out to us and said that he had just been served by Megan at check-in desk #24...

At this point the look on the supervisor's face was easy to read. To me it said "Oh no, not another meaningless complaint from a brainless whiner that I'm going to have to accept with a smile." Stephen then said that he wanted to compliment her, and the look on the supervisor's face quickly dissolved into confusion. It's not often that they get compliments, so they tend to be surprised by them.

He recorded the compliment against Stephen's flight details, and with a warm smile said he'd be happy to pass it on.

Mission accomplished.

Comment

It is depressing how compliments are so rare today. A customer came up to me to give me a compliment on the service and proceeded to shake my hand. He laughed and said "You look like you've just seen a ghost!"

It's now getting to the point where compliments scare people and not complaints.

Comment

I worked at once, where we'd receive about 100 complaints a night. Easily. No kidding. But, it was expected as our customers were entitlement whores who were rich and liked to yell at everyone.

I transferred over to another, smaller, theatre in the company and we literally received one complaint a month. Sure, the equipment sucked, but people seemed to just pay and leave.

One morning, after our first set, someone wanted to talk to the manager about their movie. I fully expected to get yelled at, but they said they loved how clean the auditorium was and how nice we were. They explained they worked in customer service too and never received praise, so they gave it where it was due.

I was happy the rest of that day.

Comment

I went to the Drive through at Mickey D's this morning.
                          They had the greatest person at the window.
                          He greated with a smile. . . said "How may I help start your day right Ma'am?" - he was cheerful (not overly want to kill because no caffine yet - just the right amount)
                          He was polite . . .
                          He chated with me about my dog when I couldn't pull forward yet . . .it was a wonderful change for this location.
                          So around 10:30 am I called . . .I asked for a manager . . he said he was and didn't sound happy.
                          So I told him - I went through your drive thru this morning . . .he said "what was wrong" I said "Nothing, I just wanted to tell you how nice my experience was" - I described the employee to him . . .gave him details about him being polite and courteous . . .that it was a nice change.
                          The manager then told me he is a newish hire (about a month) and he and another manager are trying to get him into the management program and my call will be noted and placed in his file and will help toward that goal.
                          The manager then said he thinks his day is looking up and thanked me for taking the time for giving praise. He asked for an adress to send me something. . . I politely declined . . .I told him I didn't deserve a reward for a good employees hard work. However, if he needed my comments in writing I would be happy to drop something off. (he said that wasn't necessary)

Comment

That reminds me, I need to compliment the guy that works the Taco Bell drive through when I usually order. He's just very efficient and pleasant; always gets my order right, and gets it quickly, too. Must remember to check his namebadge.

But yeah, usually people don't tell you when you're doing things right. We have to keep reminding ourselves of that in our call center: we hear from MAYBE 10% of our members, and MAYBE 5% total of our members are unhappy with us. But when half the calls you get during a day are complaints, and the other half are just normal business, it is discouraging after awhile. So when we have ladies who call jsut to chat, or to tell us that we are doing a good job, we will go a LONG way to get them whatever they want. I have a lady in florida who calls me with help getting her ladies the options they want on a convention: she remembers my name, is cheery, and asks intelligent questions. I will do almost anything to get her what she wants. http://www.customerssuck.com/board/i...lies/angel.gif

*makes note to call Taco Bell guy's manager to compliment* Should do the same for my bank, actually; they ROCK. The tellers all know me, and greet me the instant I walk in. I love that bank.
                            "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I have to agree with most everyone on here - I think that compliments are a very easy way to brighten someone's day, and should not be overlooked, especially if someone truly goes above and beyond for you.

I know I personally love when I get an email from a customer or tech I've worked with stating how awesome I am, and I love being able to pass them on to my bosses. I'm terrible about actually offering the phone survey to people (as most people say no anyhow) so I don't get any customer compliments that way, but I am sure to pass on all positive feedback I get. And it definitely brightens my day.
                              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I think anymore employees are so beaten down (by customers and managers) that most times it seems like they just do their job and nothing more. In the few cases where an employee does a good job I always tell their boss.

As it is, I think people just assume that no calls or asking for a manager's a good thing and a "compliment" of sorts. If someone asks for your boss I bet most people assume it's something bad -- even if you practically gave your first born to the customer to satisfy them.

Comment

Working...
                                X