X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The suck is strong in this one...

Two for the price of one.

1.) While at my local wal-mart, I head into the store to buy some things for the mum. Heading out (it was late, but that's the only time I could get there) I come out to find that my car door is opened; and someone has apparently broken into the car. Crap crap crap. Not having my celly on me, I proceed to head back into the store. Walking up to customer service, I ask if the associate there could call a manager since I need to get them to call the cops for me. (no money for the pay phones and didn't wanna dial 911). The manager comes up, and thus begins the first round of suck.

M) *after a few minutes. She looked severely pissed about something* "What do you want?"
    R) Uh. Well could you please call the police? My car got broken into in the lot.
    M) Where were you parked?
    R) Huh? oh, by the garden center. Could you please call the cops?
    M) No.
    R) Wait...what?
    M) *Turns to walk off*
    R) Look, could you call the police? Someone broke into my car.
    M) We're not responsible for anything that doesn't happen directly in front of the store. So I can't help you.
    R) Uh, Garden Center...last time I checked, that is IN FRONT of your store...
    M) Not my problem. Why don't you use a cell phone or something if it's so important to you?
    R) Wait....!

She just walked off after that. One of the CSM's overheard it and was nice and called the police for me on her personal cell phone. A few minutes passed and they arrived and took my statement. They then said they needed to get the store's statement, since where I parked had a camera directed right at it. Maybe they had caught the perp in the act. So, we all headed inside to let them take the statement, as well as to get out of the cool night air. Now I didn't hear what the officer and the manager were talking about, but the manager's look was increasingly sour while the officer got more and more animated. The only thing I remember hearing was something to the effect of "I'll call your boss and he'll tell you what your *bleeping* responsibility is you stupid *bleep*"

As this is going on, an older lady came in with a little boy. Now the kid looked TERRIFIED. Walking up to one of the officers, the lady produces a Nintendo DS...wait, that's MY DS! The one missing from my car! She produces MY DS and hands it to the officer saying that she had just gotten home and found that her grandson had taken the thing and she wanted to return it. The mom was there with the grandmother, looking both nervous and somewhat seething at her mother for returning the thing. The officer took a statement or two, then came to me to give it back. That's when I got the second half of this.

Apparently while they had been shopping, the Mother had decided to let Jr. (a SHiT (SHoplifter in Training) wander around the parking lot playing in traffic. While out there Jr. had looked into my car and recognized the special case I had for my DS. Since he wanted one, but his mom wouldn't buy him one, Jr. saw nothing wrong in unlocking my door (it's doable with a wire, but a pain) and reaching in to take it. What's worse, when the grandmother found out that the DS and game were stolen, the mother actually wanted to let the boy keep it. She however (grandma) had thought better of it and brought them back up to the store. When asked if I wanted to press charges, I looked to the kid who was maybe 8, thought about it and said that No, I didn't want to press charges, however I wanted him to learn a lesson. The officers agreed and said that since it was close to the weekend, (yesterday) that the judge wouldn't be back till monday. So they would take him to jail and keep in a holding cell through the weekend until the judge could release him back into the custody of his grandma or mom. Hopefully the weekend in jail would learn him...
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Why that little shit! I hope a weekend in jail serves him right!
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

The kid was about 8 years old, and he had the skill to pick your car lock with a wire???

Where the heck did he find the wire when he was just shopping with his family and they had let him wander the lot?
      Damned resourceful kids these days.

While it will probably teach him a lesson, I'm really surprised CPS or the Juvenile Courts would allow a child that young to be kept in a holding cell for a whole weekend, especially if the police don't intend to press charges.

Wouldn't a child have the same rights as an adult? I can't see them getting away with that if it was an adult.
      Last edited by Ree; 04-13-2008, 01:39 AM.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

What the hell is wrong with that manager? Here's hoping she gets what's coming to her for that little stunt.

Glad you got your stuff back and it wasn't a professional break in.

Here's hoping that kid gets a little sense scared into him, since his mother is failing the whole "right and wrong" part of the parenting equation. Good on grandma for taking care of business. She's probably wondering where she went wrong with the mother.

ETA:

Quoth Ree View Post
        While it will probably teach him a lesson, I'm really surprised CPS or the Juvenile Courts would allow a child that young to be kept in a holding cell for a whole weekend, especially if the police don't intend to press charges.
        They can actually hold a person for up to 48 hours without filing any type of charges or arresting the person. And it's not until they actually make the arrest that they have to read a person their Miranda rights. (I know this is for California, at least. it might be national, but I'm not certain) And if they have some sort of permission from a legal guardian, they might not have a problem with the whole holding him for the weekend. Hard to say, since we don't know the full details.

^-.-^
        Last edited by Andara Bledin; 04-13-2008, 01:39 AM.
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Juvenile system is a little different, but, as you say, not knowing the actual story, or the laws in repsac's area, it's hard to know.
          http://www.chathamcounty.org/departm...m_T7_R194.html

Comment

it's too bad that charges can't be filed against the mother for anything... not wanting her kid to return it... from what I got out of the story not even that upset about kid stealing it... might not be illegal but is definitely criminal.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
              :

Wouldn't a child have the same rights as an adult? I can't see them getting away with that if it was an adult.
              I gotta agree with Ree on this one. The child definitely needed to be taught a lesson and given a scare. But, JMO, putting an eight year old in a holding cell over the weekend is way beyond cruel.

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
                I gotta agree with Ree on this one. The child definitely needed to be taught a lesson and given a scare. But, JMO, putting an eight year old in a holding cell over the weekend is way beyond cruel.
                I'll bet he wont do it again however.
                I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

beyond cruel or not, look at the whole picture.

Unless this singular experience is SO AWFUL that the child never EVER wants to experience it again, then he's not going to learn from it.

He's not going to learn from it because no one ELSE in his life is taking care to teach him how to live.

If the cops don't want to see this kid again later on in his life, then they need to make sure that his larcenous behaviour is nipped in the bud. So they've come up with a pretty clever way of doing so, given the restrictions that everyone's operating under, it seems like.

Now, going from the fact that the officers involved seem to have a pretty good head on their shoulders to be trying to come up with alternative punishments/inducements to behave, I'd imagine they're not going to let any physical harm come to the kid in their care. Which also suggests to me that jail is probably safer for the kid than his own mother's house, given what we know of his mother's attitude.

I just think it's great that the grandma brought repsac's stuff back while she was still at the store, while everyone involved was able to get together and get things sorted out.

edited- trying not to get sent to Fratching XD
                  "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post

The kid was about 8 years old, and he had the skill to pick your car lock with a wire???

Where the heck did he find the wire when he was just shopping with his family and they had let him wander the lot?
                    Damned resourceful kids these days.
                    Or more likely, damn resourceful mother.
                    I could seriously see that being the case, rather than a Kid SuperThief. The kid is wandering around, sees it, and the mom sees a way out of being pestered without having to spill the cash.

Quoth Ree View Post
                    Here in GA, the cops can do that with an adult, no problem. You're in jail till Monday. Seen it happen to friends popped for driving on a suspended license.

I'm assuming that the cop has a juvenile detention facility that he can take the kid too, rather than a full adult drunk tank.

Comment

I agree that the kid needed to be taught a lesson and it was rotten that the mother was just going to let him keep the stolen game; but, I still say that jail thing is going over the top. JMO of course

Comment

We need more Grandmas in the world like his grandma.
                        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

ITA Evil Queen!

Comment

Quoth Arm View Post
                            I just think it's great that the grandma brought repsac's stuff back while she was still at the store, while everyone involved was able to get together and get things sorted out.
                            Yes, it is great.

Good thing someone in that family had a conscience.

What an amazing coincidence that it happened while he and the police were still there and he was able to identify it as his stolen property.
                            I mean, what are the odds on that happening?

Time for repsac to buy a lottery ticket.

Comment

Wow. The kid's a thieving moron and his mom's a neglecting enabler who just lets him play in traffic. Talk about the apple not falling far from the tree.

(But then how do you explain the grandmother who stood up and did the right thing? From dad's side perhaps?)

Manager's an absolute fuckwaffle too. What a nice message it sends to tell a person that if their car is broken into and items taken, management won't lift a finger to help out and call the authorities.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X