Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They should have offered to order it in for you.

Definitely ask them to order it in, or in absolute worst case, hold the next copy they get and call you when it arrives.

If you don't get a new copy within a reasonable time frame, you should be able to get a refund so you can buy it elsewhere. (For a small business, I'd give them two weeks or a month. Someone like Best Buy should be able to provide something like a movie within a week.)

The fact that you would be satisfied with the same title means you're not attempting to infringe copyright, merely to obtain what you actually paid for. If they cannot provide what you paid for in a reasonable time frame, it's their responsibility to refund your money.

It's not your responsibility to go haring off chasing the movie at other Best Buys. If you wanted it the same day, then yes you should. But if you're happy for it to come in with the next shipment or inter-store transfer, it should be brought to your local store.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I think a request to the store manager may help. Let them know that you are aware of their policy and are trying to work within it, but if they cannot fulfill their side of the policy, they need to give you a refund. Then you can order it from amazon or something.

Quoth Boochan View Post
      I did this with one of the local distributors here for a Roseanne DVD I got,
      You paid money for a Rosanne DVD?
      I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
      -The Amazing E
      Zonies social group now open!

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
        People still buy things at Best Buy even with ALL the bad publicity they get?

in all fairness to BB, with the OP Best Buy had no control over the fact that the manufacture sent them a defective disk... there is suck in not offering to order a replacement though...

oh, and the alternative in a large part of the country (at least all of Northern Nevada and Northern Utah and Southern Idaho) is Circuit City which has just as much bad publicity... so it's not as if we have much choice... the suck that is close by, or the suck that requires we drive a little further...
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I'd say keep after them until you get either your money back, or a working DVD.
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Whoa, zombie thread! Well, since it's here, I might as well tell you guys the conclusion.

The last time I went back, I was told that the M.A.S.H. movie was discontinued, and no longer available. I exchanged the defective disc for some other title that I don't remember.

I've still never seen the whole movie.

Comment

What? That's ridiculous... We have copies of it at Walmart and Best Buy up HERE (Canada). Discontinued, my ass. At least they gave you something in exchange.... Try finding it online. It's a great movie!
              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Norton View Post
                Of course DVDs can't be returned, only exchanged for another copy of the same DVD - fine with me, I just want a functional movie. <Snip> Any ideas/advice about how it could be handled differently?
                if you just want a working movie-it was released by 20th century fox home entertainment the website is here-click on Contact us at the very bottom right hand side of the page-a pop-up comes up and they ask for information so they can contact you and get you a functioning copy, and the defective one back-usually it takes them less than a week to do the exchange. I've done it myself, and actually gotten coupons with the new replacement copy.
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

A couple years ago I bought the extended editions of the Lord of the Rings movies for my husband as a gift. When we opened fellowship, I saw there were 2 copies of disc 1 and 0 of disc 2. I took it back to Best Buy w/the receipt. They had no other copies in, so I asked for my credit card to be credited instead.

Employee :>stare<

Me: >stare<

Employee: >stare<

Me: >stare<

Employee: I guess.

He never said it wasn't allowed, or I would have to wait for another to come in. He just stared. It was weird. Maybe he wanted to psychically get the information across. If so, he failed.
                  https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I don't know if this would work...and it would definitely be sucky...

But what if you ordered the movie online, for in-store pickup...then when you got there, canceled the order/returned the ordered movie, then presented your broken DVD with receipt for an exchange? Sucky to be sure, but Best Buy did sortof start the suck here...

Comment

Heh. Well, I appreciate the advice, everyone - but this was resolved months ago. I'll keep it in mind next time I run into this situation.

Comment

and yeah... "discontinued"? Bullsh**

MASH movie

Amazon has it in stock. New, Used, and Collectable versions.

Comment

Working...
                        X