Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cashier that refused to talk to me.

I made a post the other day about customers who won't speak properly when asking for something...

Well I also dislike when an employee won't speak to me when I'm out shopping.

I got off work, and went by Wal-Mart. Picked up a frozen pizza, and some beer. Now the Wal-Mart near me is in a different city from where I live (I live right on the city-line), so I wasn't sure if it was pass the cut-off time for buying alcohol (it was 12:30am). Plus, the times very drastically around here. One area has a cut-off of 11pm, a few miles up the road from there it's 2am, and at the corner store near my house it's 5am.

This is how the conversation went:
    NOTE: She had no problems hearing or speaking, she was having a conversation with the manager as I walked up.

Me: most awesomest person ever.
    C: The cashier that thinks she's a mime.

Me: "Hi."
    C: *Doesn't acknowledge me*
    Me: *pointing to beer* "Is it too late to buy this?"
    C: *Takes beer off belt and puts it under the counter*
    Me: "So, that's a yes?"
    C: *Looks at me for 1/2 a second and gives a VERY small nod*
    Me: "What is the cut-off time?"
    C: *Silence*
    Me: "Do you know what the cut-off time is?"
    C: "twelve"
    HOLY CRAP! She SAID something!
    Me: "Oh ok, no problem, I'll just go up the street."
    C: "$xx.xx"
    *Hand money, get change and receipt, and picks up bag.*
    Me: "Thank you."
    C: *Doesn't even turn to face me*

What the hell was her problem? She won't acknowledge my presence, won't answer my VERY simple question, and won't even say hello, good bye, or thank you...

wow...
    Last edited by Lingering Grin; 04-28-2008, 06:46 PM.
    <Insert clever signature here>

Holy crap. That's when you get management involved. That was... Wow... Words fail me...

Comment

"Hello Manager, this is a very rude lady. And you witnessed the whole thing."

I doubt the manager she was so busy with would do anything about it.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Oh wow. And I get annoyed when the cashier won't tell me the total when s/he's done ringing, but just stands staring into space until I ask.

That, though...just plain rude.
        "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds..."

Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance.

Comment

That's pretty unreal.......I wouldn't have been able to keep my cool.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I would've been torqued.
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Just to play Devil's Advocate here, maybe she wasn't feeling well. I know that Wal Mart is very strict about employees calling in sick, maybe she wasn't speaking because she was trying not to throw up.

Comment

Hmmm....neither the cashier nor the manager (if said manager stuck around) was very helpful.

I think a call or two are in order.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I had a cashier that wouldn't speak to me at Target, gosh, over a year ago. I still remember it because it was so odd.

She spoke fine to the lady in front of me. They seemed to be having a pleasant conversation judging from the smiles on their faces. I get up there and the "conversation" was as follows...

Me: Hi.
                  Csr: ....(keeps her head down)

I see total on register. I knew she was done because I had no more items and she had stopped moving. She was gazing at something in the distance over my shoulder. I even turned around to see what was so interesting, but didn't see anything unusual. I turned back around.

Me: Is that the total?
                  Csr: ...(starts looking around the store)
                  Me: It's going to be debit. Ok?
                  Csr: ...
                  Me ...(Curious if she was going to do or say anything)
                  Me: ...(Give up and put in my debit card)

Debit read spits card back at me, I finish up. I get my bags from the bag holder as I guess it was too much for her to hand them to me or put it on the counter.

Me: Thank you! Have a good day!

She didn't speak to the next customer as I was leaving, but I didn't hear customer speak to her either. I just found it odd she could speak perfectly fine to the customer in front of me, but not to me? It was too odd to complain to management. I don't require a conversation from cashiers. A "hi" or some form of acknowledgment is all I need. A "Thanks" or "have a nice day" would be nice as well but I don't push my luck.

We opened another store around here roughly a month ago and I went over to take a gander plus get a few things. The cashier I had there also didn't speak to me when I said hi. She did however have plenty to say to her CSM walking by about how she was due a break. When I said "thanks, have a good day." I waited until she finally mumbled something resembling "have a good day".

I know we all have bad days as cashiers. I don't need big smiles and sunshines up my butt, I just want to be treated as a human being.
                  "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
                  George Carlin

Comment

I get this mostly at my local supermarket. I think it's me, the cashier will usually be very friendly to the person ahead of me. But as soon as I get there they clam up, on cashier is like this frequently, I try to avoid her. It may be the fact that I always dress in black, I may seem unfriendly, but if that's the reason it's a pretty crappy one.

I remember once years ago I was with some friends at a walmart and the cashier seemed to want to tell them her opinion on everything. She picked up some items and said, you really like this? I can't see why anyone likes this, etc... My friends just kinda went But I wasn't having any of it, I was buying a garbage cd, (beautiful garbage to be exact) and she picked it up looked at it and in a snotty tone laughed and said "Beautiful Garbage?" (Her tone pretty much implied she couldn't believe I would buy some thing like this) I shot her my death glare when she looked up at me and she must have got scared, she just went and looked back down and finished the transaction, we didn't say a word to either one after that. I bet she tells the story that I was such a sucky customer. lol
                    wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
                    ----
                    Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

I had a horrible experience at a Walmart where the cashier started bagging the persons stuff behind me in MY BAGS before I got them off the counter. When I told her to hold on, you're bagging her stuff with mine, she rolled her eyes back into her head so hard I thought she'd had a seizure. MAN, I went off. I tore into this b!#(h, because I MYSELF had just gotten off work from a long ass day at a HUGE retail chain myself and was in NO MOOD!!!! I told her that at my company it is a fireable offense to be rude to a customer, then proceeded to tell the manager the same. GRRRR. I knew I had not kept my cool, but I was being nice to this idiot that was in a hurry, and she was (*#%!!!!!!! I boycotted Walmart for a year, but then we moved and the new one near my home is very neat and clean, and the employees are helpful so far!!!!

Comment

Sometimes refusing an alcohol sale can be a tough and intimidating situation, not everyone is as understanding as you were. I think all of us that have worked at a C-Store, grocery store, bar etc has been witness to the times it has gone wrong. I know you can find a few tales of this right here in these forums.

That said though, once the cashier figured out you were not going to give her a hard time about it she should have been a little nicer towards you.
                        If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
                        www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

I was going to say, perhaps she was in a bad mood, working this late at night anyway. I've had my share of unfriendly employees whenever I expected to be waited on at midnight or later.

However, I have also had my share of cashiers who not one time say a word to you, but are busy having a conversation with their friends next to them, or the customer behind you who is also their best friend, neighbor, imaginary friend, whatever. It ticks me off that these people can't even say a friendly "hello" or even tell you your total. Most just simply expect you to see the screen and not ask any questions.

Comment

Working...
                          X