This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC Thwarted

A few months ago I was in the WaWa getting supper before my weekly gaming session. As I walk up to the drinks cooler a woman turns to me and, in the most entitled, snobby voice, snaps at me "Do they sell alcohol in any of these places?!!"

"No. In Pennsylvania you have to go to a state store." (This in, well not the most 'duh, you moron' tone of voice I can summon, but it was up there)

"...oh"

If she hadn't snapped it out like "Peon, fetch me booze this instant, I cannot bear another moment of your company unfiltered by an alcoholic haze" I probably would have been a lot politer about shattering her dreams of an alcoholic stupor, but I won't put up with that without getting paid.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Ugg, I went to college in PA (from Ohio originally) and HATED the fact that you couldn't get booze/liquor in grocery stores. :P So inconvenient. Especially when they beer/liquor stores closed at like, 10. Lame.

That lady was quite the bitch though.

Comment

I worked as a cashier in a small grocery store when I was in high school. I remember one night, a guy stuck his head in the exit door and asked one of us cashiers to just grab him some beer (apparently he couldn't actually come in the store because he didn't have shoes on or something). I was extremely confused because no grocery stores I knew of sold any kind of alcohol (including beer/wine). It was all sold at package stores. We explained this to him and directed him to the closest package store. It took some convincing that really, we didn't have any beer here, but he finally left. Some number of years later I saw one store (a small chain, really) that did have beer and wine, so apparently it is possible if you have a special license or something (in my state).
      Last edited by tigerlily0; 04-30-2008, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Hey, I was in college before I realized that other states DO sell beer/wine in the grocery. Now there are a few groceries in MA that sell alcohol, but none within convenient driving distance. Guess it's the packie for me!
        "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds..."

Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance.

Comment

In Maryland liquor is only available in liquor stores and even then, they are all closed on Sundays. I was surprised and jealous the first time I went into a store in another state and saw beer and wine available right alongside the groceries.

It also sucks that my state is one of the few that will not allow you to buy wine online. I would love to be able to browse wine.com and actually purchase something. Unfortunately that would take too much revenue away from the local distributors and their pet politicians.

Comment

Quoth justZu View Post
            It also sucks that my state is one of the few that will not allow you to buy wine online.
            How the hell to they enforce that?
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
              How the hell to they enforce that?
              There's a possibility that it's enforced by the website. Specialized sites like that will sometimes block shipping to places that are known to have laws against such things.

That's when it's good to get a drop box across a nearby state line.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

In Wisconsin, you can pick up booze on just about any street corner.

Just a slight exaggeration. Liquor is sold openly in grocery stores. At the Super Wally World in town it's right next to the soda.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

ok, can I please copy and paste this entire thread to the Salt Lake Tribune to get those gas bags to shut up about how utah's liquer laws are so restrictive when there are so many other states that have the exact same farking laws.

in fact it seems we may be more lenient than some states... we allow malt beverages in pretty much everything from 7-11s to Smiths to Wally world... you do still though have to go to a state store for hard liquer and wine... now the stores do have limited hours but the malt beverages can be sold at any hour of any day.
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth justZu View Post
                    In Maryland liquor is only available in liquor stores and even then, they are all closed on Sundays. I was surprised and jealous the first time I went into a store in another state and saw beer and wine available right alongside the groceries. :
                    If you want beer on a Sunday you can always go to a bar and see if they'll sell you a case.

I'm glad MD isn't PA when it comes to booze, but I too was shocked and amazed that I could pick up hotdogs, beer, and matches all from the Piggly Wiggly when we were in South Carolina (how I miss South Carolina)

Comment

I went to my cousin's wedding in Indiana and we stopped by a CVS to pick up some stuff. There was a full selection of wine and liqour in there. I was absolutely amazed; I had never seen such a thing before. I'm used to having to get beer either at a the grocery store (in CT) or getting beer/liquor at their own separate stores (CT, MA, NY, NJ, PA, etc).

But PA's laws are the most messed up. You can't buy beer from the same store that you can buy hard liquor & wine. You can't buy a six pack on a sunday, but you can buy a case.

Comment

it's the same in washington state; you can buy beer at the store, but for hard liquor, you have to visit the state store.

it didn't bother me when i lived there and still doesn't; california sells it in store, from beer to tequila and beyond, which also doesn't bother me.

sell it, it's good; don't sell it, still good.
                        look! it's ghengis khan!
                        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                        X