This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walgreen's Weirdness

So my mom's a diabetic, so I'm in Walgreen's a lot to pick up her associated supplies. I'm also a whore for cherry flavored Slushies, so I can take care of both needs in one stop.

I went in today after work and went to the counter to pay for my flavored-ice goodness and I noticed a new cashier at the checkout. I have a habit of looking at the name tag when I come across a new employee at stores I frequent, which led me to having a George Costanza moment wondering if this girl thought I was staring at her boobs.

Anyway, I get back to the car and while arraigning everything I noticed at the top of the receipt it says "My name is *NAME*, thank you for allowing me to serve you today".

OK, two things here:

1. The cashier's name was in all caps in that "obviously inserted by a program" style that kills the personal service vibe they were going for.

2. "Thank you for allowing me to serve you"? I'm paying for a Slushie here, not making a selection at a brothel.

So yeah, thanks Walgreen's for weirding me out just because I walked to a checkout and had someone ring up my purchase.
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

WG: Thank you for allowing me to serve you.
    Me: Yes, YES, YEEESSS! Bow down to me subservient sub-human slave!
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
      WG: Thank you for allowing me to serve you.
      Me: Yes, YES, YEEESSS! Bow down to me subservient sub-human slave!

GIR! BRING ME THE DISCOMBOBULATOR!!!!!

Sorry... that line just put an image of Invader Zim in my head
      <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

That "thank you for allowing me" business is a WTF for me as well (I pointed it out one day to my mom and her eyebrows also went up). I'm not sure what corporate is going for there, but it's not working.

Maybe part of it is because I tend to associate that phrasing with submissives...it's just weird.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
          GIR! BRING ME THE DISCOMBOBULATOR!!!!!

Sorry... that line just put an image of Invader Zim in my head
          I imagine the following happening:

GIR: I can't do that...
          Zim: Why?
          GIR: It's broken.
          Zim: Why?
          GIR: I was making mashed potatoes with it and I dropped it down the stairs.

Gir...one of the greatest current-era cartoon characters. Such a shame that show was only around for two seasons.
          Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Don't really see the weirdness or the suck here.
            I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

"I don't pay you to contradict me!"

"...You don't pay me at all!"

donruss, I don't think it's so much suck as the crappy wording on the receipt. "Thanks for allowing me to serve you." I mean, what if you had to say, "Oh, please Lord Customer, allow me to serve you, it would be my highest honor!" Yeah, they could have worded it to sound a lot less douchey than that.
              Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Ah, yes, classic GIR. I love GIR.

"Awww... but I wanted to eh-splode.... like this! KABLAM!"

*checks her own nametag*
                Oy, mine is all in caps. Then again, so is my job title; GUEST SERVICES. Huh.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

You "allowed" her to serve you, as opposed to walking out the door without being served.

They could mean in another sense in that you could have "allowed" someone in a different store to serve you.

It is not a phasing I would have used.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

So... logically speaking (fuzzy logic, anyways)...

If I choose not to allow anyone to serve me, does that mean I can walk out of the store with the stuff without paying?

oh... fuzzy Logics hurts.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

You know, maybe if a few people called in or emailed corporate about how offputting that phrasing on the receipts is, they might change it to something normal-sounding.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        You know, maybe if a few people called in or emailed corporate about how offputting that phrasing on the receipts is, they might change it to something normal-sounding.

^-.-^
                        Do you really think corporate could come up with a phrase that is normal sounding? If so, you have more faith in them than I do.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

You know, I once thought that the overly-friendly elevators in the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy main office were funny. Now I see that they are frighteningly plausable.

Be a cool frood.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                          X