This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you took my picture, BFD!

My birthday is on Monday. Because of financial strains on our friends, hubs and I decided to throw a dinner party at our expense. Friends will contribute some food stuffs but for the most part, we're taking care of the bulk. (i.e. the booze, the meat, yadda yadda).

So I decided to stop by Wynco and get the food at ubber cheap. Since its saturday, the place was packed. (Wynco is the Walmart of supermarkets around here, so imagine THAT congestion -- herds of people blocking off aisles, tempers flaring, etc.)

For the most part, I like to be the better person. I keep my mouth shut and move on, especially when it deals with an older person being an ass.

Today, however, the old bat caught me in an already bad mood. I couldn't get my new DL for WA because of stupid reasons, I hadn't eaten, I'm sick, I'm somewhat sleep deprived... the last thing I needed was someone being a douche.

I shall continue:

I stood next to the string beans for a while, holding on to the cart, staring past the sea of people in an attempt to remember what else I needed for dinner. My eyes spied the cilantro and did a mental "hurrah!" Because there were ten people (about) with just as many carts blocking my way to the Cilantro, I decided it would be easier to leave my cart behind and work my way to my goal.

So I did.

I bagged two bunches of cilantro, turned around and realized, oh goodness, its even more crowded! So I did something stupid: I tied the bag and threw it where my cart was. I could see that I overshot it and it had landed on the string beans. I squeezed my way through the throng of people, red faced.

"Oh man, I totally missed!" I blurted, reaching toward the bag of cilantro. Now mind you, as I did this, there was this short, old, latin woman reaching for the peas.

The old woman spins around at me then, and starts wagging her finger.

"YES YOU MISSED!" she blurts out, her eyes glaring at me. "And you almost HIT ME!"

I turn redder and begin to apologize as I've been taught to do when I've offended an older person. But before the word "sorry" can slip past my lips, I'm hit in the face with the bag of fucking cilantro. It sort of clings to my face for a split second and falls on by breasts and I catch it with the crook of my arm.

I'm no longer sorry. Now I'm irritated.

But I keep my mouth shut because, you know, she's an older woman.

"You're so FUCKING rude!" she continues, now tossing string beans everywhere. "Goddamned kids these days.. YOU ALMOST HIT ME! Didn't even apologize! So fucking RUDE!"

I tossed the cilantro into the basket, turn to her and just... suffered BTMF malfunction.

"You know what? If you would just get off your goddamned high horse once in a while, you would have realized I attempted to apologize. So I was a little immature--yeah, I should have NEVER tossed the bag at my basket. I admit it, I was wrong;however, you're just a cranky old bitch and I presume even an apology wouldn't do any good, so good day and fuck you too."

I then grabbed my cart and decided to high tail it out of there before I decided to punch her.

As I'm leaving, she starts cursing me out in Spanish.

I spin on my heel then and continue, "Just, SHUT THE FUCK UP, you old coot! Seriously! You talk about me being rude but you're just as ba-- just-- Fuck you! I am not in the mood to put up with this shit. Ugh."

I move on over to the meat section, just... seething. I couldn't believe the nerve of some people and worst of all, I couldn't believe the absolute failure of my BTMF.

My neighbor pats me on the soulder, says I should calm down and says "After you told her to fuck off and left, she took our picture. And she's now foll--"

M: -Stops dead in her tracks and starts laughing.- Are you fucking serious? She took our picture?
    N: Yeah, she took our picture.
    M: What the hell for? How immature! What is she going to do, go up to the manager and wave her cellphone in the poor guy's face and demand we not be allowed in here anymore?
    N: -snickers-
    M: I mean... it makes *so* much freakin' sense. I mean, isn't it just BRILLIANT that she'll take a picture of our backs... OH NO! I guess I Can NEVER wear my black dress and green sweater. And it was my favorite Wynco outfit too... What should I ever wear again?!

I turn around and realize the old woman's standing right there, red faced, unable to say anything else.

I felt a bit bad, and I wanted to simply apologize but ... I was also mad.

So I decided to just let it be and head to the check out lanes.

>.<

Seriously, had she just not gone into her little rant, I would have apologized even though *I knew* the cilantro had been *nowhere near hitting her*. (Neighbor and husband both said that at the most, the bag would have hit her hand.)

---

And yes, I would be pissed if someone talked to my mother that way. Its part of the reason I feel bad *now* but in the heat of the moment, I didn't give a flying monkey arse.
    Last edited by AnqeiicDemise; 05-03-2008, 10:35 PM.
    "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

That's a bad situation all around.

A little bit of suck on your part escalated so quickly. If she'd have given you a minute to apologize before starting to curse, everything would have worked out. I work under the principle of "Its never too late to just walk away". Things can always get worse. I'm glad they didn't in your situation.

There's no point in beating yourself up about it. Learn from it and move on.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Is that really why you think she wanted to take your picture?

I was kinda thinking she'd taken it and then was going to write some long letter to the local paper about disrespectful youngins.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I was actually thinking that the picture-taking was because she was batshit crazy.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Is that really why you think she wanted to take your picture?

I was kinda thinking she'd taken it and then was going to write some long letter to the local paper about disrespectful youngins.
          Let her. I can write a long letter about quick-to-assume older folk too. :\

Quoth Boozy View Post
          I was actually thinking that the picture-taking was because she was batshit crazy.
          That's what the neighor says.

I can't figure out *why* she'd take a picture of someone-- let alone why she kept following us around the store. She lost us at the check out lanes, I am sure, becuase she wasn't ready to leave just yet.
          Last edited by Broomjockey; 05-03-2008, 11:46 PM. Reason: multi-quote
          "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

ok...i just got to know....why the heck would you throw cilantro to your cart in a busy store? im not trying to attack you, but i just have to know why you would do that? you have to get to your cart anyways.

i always thought it was rude to throw things in a public place anyways.

i am by no means defending the other lady. she should have never thrown the cilantro in your face. i would be pretty pissed if i almost got hit by something somebody threw too. but i wouldn't throw it back in their face.

so i think both sides sucked.
            Last edited by Ljt09863; 05-04-2008, 01:41 AM.

Comment

haha I think thats epic

a lady goes ape over vegetable, you go ape back

shame it wasnt over bananas then the whole thing would have been even more funny!
              I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Yeah, the throwing part ... not so wise. After all, cilantro isn't all that heavy.

On the other hand, sounds like the old lady was totally nuts.

This is why I shop when it's not crowded.
                "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

As to why the throwing: It's easier to work through a throng of people empty-handed. Cilantro is pretty light-weight, so it's not hard to see why they idea of tossing it ahead came up.

As for feeling bad, the feeling bad should end at precisely the same time the woman hit you in the face with the cilantro. She assaulted you after you didn't hit her.

Did the old bat actually toss a bunch of the string beans around and leave them lying wherever?

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Um, seems to me the OP had a momentary lapse of judgement and attempted to apologize for it, unknowingly spawning a psycho reaction from this lady.

Geez.

Sure, she shouldn't have done it - but she acknowledged she was wrong (both here and in the moment) and attempted to correct it and apologize. Why berate her about it further?
                    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

So I did something stupid: I tied the bag and threw it where my cart was.
                      I'm hit in the face with the bag of fucking cilantro.
                      Thank you for bringing to out attention that cilantro has disturbing boomerangic (Yes I made that up) properties.

(just trying to let you laugh at at least part of the situation)
                      I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                        Thank you for bringing to out attention that cilantro has disturbing boomerangic (Yes I made that up) properties.

(just trying to let you laugh at at least part of the situation)
                        Hmm, perhaps an updated version of the mad fish thrower from The Muppet Show?
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post

Sure, she shouldn't have done it - but she acknowledged she was wrong (both here and in the moment) and attempted to correct it and apologize. Why berate her about it further?

im not berating her. but i think that if somebody had posted this story here from an employee view, versuses the view we got, i think alot more people would be asking why anything was thrown in a crowded store. look at this store from a totally different angle, such as another customer. if you saw somebody throw food across the store, almost hitting somebody, and then that person reacting tens times worse, wouldn't you think they both sucked? on different levels, yes, but still sucked.

i understand it is easier to work through a crowd empty handed, but i wouldn't risk hitting somebody to make it easier on me.

i believe the other woman was a hell of alot worse than the OP. but i can't ask the other person what the hell was going through her mind she she threw the cilantro in the OPs face. i agree that is ten times worse than throwing it in a busy store.

i understand she was embarrased, i was just curious as to why she decided to throw it.

there is a difference between berating her, and being curious as to why she did what she did. i don't think she should have done what she did, but im not looking down on her for what she did.

Comment

Eh, everybody has a doofus moment now and then. So throwing the cilantro was not exactly the best idea, so what? That is still no reason for psycho woman to go off like that. I am still going over the picture thing.

from a fellow Cinco de Mayo baby-

"You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

The "lady" was completely out of line. I've been known to toss an item or two into my cart. (while right next to it, but still.)

AnqeiicDemise apologized. Old lady was totally out of line. As soon as she hit AnqeiicDemise, I would have been on the phone with the cops.
                              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                              X