This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suck...

Yeah... it was me this time. Got a telemarketing call on my cell phone, and the last time I had heard anything (as of oct 15, 2007), according to FCC guidelines, it was illegal to telemarket on cell phones, and the company could get fined... so I get this call.

Goes through the automated message, and the only option at the end (usually there's an opt-out option) is to speak with a CSR. So I hit the button, she asks me if I want to sign up to "consolidate all my cards into one" though I don't have a credit card... can't stand the things....

Me: I'm sorry!!!
    CSR: I'm sure you know who this is...

Me: Hey, I just wanted to let you know that this number you called is a cell phone, and I want to be put on the do not call list.
    CSR: Why do you need to say it's a cell phone?
    Me: According to FCC guidelines, it's illegal to telemarket on cell phones.
    CSR: *in the most snobby tone you could imagine* Well, don't you watch the news? It's legal now, so don't try that with me.
    Me: Okay, then put this on the do not call list.
    CSR: * I think she thought I said the number was on the US DNC registry, cuz I kinda mumbled* Well, why would you put the number on the do not call list if you say it was illegal huh? You shouldn't say things like--

At this point I disconnected. In retrospect, I should've gotten her name and employee number, taken it up to her supervisor for arguing with me instead of either politely informing me I was mistaken, or after saying I wanted to be on the DNC for that company, just letting the call go.

But I feel sucky for not knowing that... was I full of suck, or was it a 50/50 situation?
    Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Your suck was nil. The CSR was getting mouthy with you, after all, and you didn't do anything at all to elicit that kind of response. Thumbs up from me.

Comment

its not illegal to calla cell phone, its illegel to make a call using an automatic dialling system or a pre recorded message. so your call was illegal because their was prerecorded goodness.
      but they can handdial and personally handle calls.
      They just generally dont cause it cost to much.
      you did not suck
      http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07010/752591-94.stm

Comment

You were not sucky, that CSR gives legitimate CSRs a bad name and makes it hard for them.

Comment

No suck on your part at all.

Cold calling cell phones? I don't care what the law says, that's ALWAYS sucky. Some people have to pay for those minutes. Screw the company and screw that CSR. They both suck totally.

I don't care who is on the line ... I don't carry a cell phone so that it can become a sales tool for some bullshit company and their damned phone jockeys.

Boy this makes me mad.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I've had something like that happen to me... I kept getting calls on my cell phone from a company selling car warranties(???). I don't even have a DL. So after the first few times, I ended up pressing 0 for a rep. I politely explained that I would like to be taken off the list. The frickin rep hung up on me. I've gotten calls since, but I just hang up since I don't trust my temper.
            "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
            "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
            X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Comment

The FTC makes the statement that cell phones can only be called when dialing is done manually.

Any time any form of auto-dialer is used, it's illegal.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

i've received a few calls on my cell in regards to my car warranty about to go out (speaking of which, i need to call them on some warranty work) and they were automated, press 1 at the end to speak to a CSR. When i did that, told the dude i don't want to be on whatever DNC list they have, and he put me on hold, and then disconnected the call. I looked at the caller ID on my phone, called it, and it wasn't a working #.

bastages.

Comment

And call center employees wonder why we hate what they do (not them) so much. So intrusive!

I know it's your jobs ... but, your employers do such bad, bad things.
                  "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:

1-888-382-1222.

It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years.

You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Not sucky, as mentioned in another thread, Credit Card Services is a scam.
                      I got really annoyed with one lady who called me back directly because 'she didnt like to be hung up on' after I said 'good night' and hung up. After all, I called to speak to them...
                      "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                        To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:
                        Um, no, that won't stop sucky scammers and the like from calling your cell phone.

Many of them call from outside the country, and many others do other scummy things to prevent you from being able to report them for breaking the law.

The people who pay attention, are already not auto-dialing your cell phone.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                        X