This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We all forget to pay.

Today I was in CVS trying to kill a few minutes. I grabbed a drink and a magazine and went to pay. The line was long and the cashier was just standing there looking blankly. She told the person in front of me, "One moment". Then the manager came over and asked the cashier, "Did she pay?" The cashier just started blankly again.

The manager then picked up a CVS card registration (with the tags on the back still) and walked toward the door.

From what I gathered, the person was signing up for a CVS card, finished the application then walked out the door with out paying.

The manager "caught" her just before she got outside of the parking lot. As she came in the customer said, "Yeah, I got to my car and realized I forgot to pay so I was coming back in." She then turned to me and gave me a smile like you believe me don't you?

Yeah douche waffle, we all "forget" to pay... Kicker was- she had a CVS card on her keychain already.

Epic fail.
    You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

I may forget a lot of things, but paying for something is not one of them.

But that's just me.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I forgot to pay once - in a café.

My mother and I were visiting Glasgow (we'd gone to scatter my grandfather's ashes - and he'd have been very pleased by how much we enjoyed "his" city), and stopped in a café for lunch. We ordered at the counter, which normally means pay before you eat, but unusually didn't.

We ate our food and walked out - the staff even waved at us happily

Got about 100 yards down the road when realisation dawned and we rushed back. The staff hadn't even noticed yet.

I think that anyone who really forgot would not have been caught trying to leave the car park. But it really is possible to be that foolish on occasions.

Victoria J

Comment

I forgot to pay for a magazine once. I picked it up, wandered round the shop looking at videos and books for a while, then left. I totally forgot that I hadn't paid for the magazine I had in my hand.
        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

my current cell phoine charm
          i was at disney land, was looking at cell charms, pins and other stuff, picked one up went to find my sister, got distracted and wound up in my hotel room after the park closed... witha new cellphoen charm i didnt pay for...

Comment

My mom put a pair of sunglasses on top of her head so they wouldn't be crushed by her other purchases and forgot to put them on the belt at the register because she forgot they were there. It was funny too. The tag was clearly visible to anyone who looked at her yet no one at the store said a thing.

The person in the OP sounds fishy though especially if she already had a card.
            Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Forgetting to pay works only when you genuinely forget to pay.

Trying to pull that one on purpose is a recipe for failure.

Tested and approved. Got away with it twice in a year. I tried to repeat the pattern on purpose : BUSTED.
              I had a nice little chat with security and loss prevention. Learnt my lesson, now. I was SO dumb in my late teens.
              Last edited by Samaliel; 05-24-2008, 10:09 PM.
              "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

I almost forgot to pay one time.

I went to LaserQuest with a group of friends one time for my birthday. For those of you who don't know what LaserQuest is, well it's kinda hard to explain, but it's an indoor lasertag game where you wear a vest with sensors on it and carry a gun-like device to shoot other people's sensors and you get points for it. It's quite fun actually.

Anyway, we went in, signed up for our games, and played them. After we were done, we were walking out when I suddenly realized, "Crap, I didn't pay!"

I ran back in and explained that I didn't pay. They were surprised that I came back because it was about $100 that I had to pay for all of us (BIG group of people) to play two games.

Fortunately, that's the only time I almost didn't pay.
                "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  I may forget a lot of things, but paying for something is not one of them.
                  I did once.

I stopped in at a local store to pick up a few small items. I had found all of them except one, and the ones I found I had in my hands, intending to buy them.

I went to the service desk to ask about the one I couldn't find, and it turned out they didn't carry it. OK, no big deal, I'd just go somewhere else. So I left, completely forgetting about the unpaid items in my hand. Yes, I am really that scatterbrained.

I realized it when I got halfway to the car, and then came back in quickly, went back to the service desk, and explained what had just happened. They were actually surprised I came back.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I can't remember if it was Me or RetailWorkhorse, but for the sake of the conversation, we'll say it was me. (more then likely)

I found a keychain that I thought RetailWorkhorse would like. Said "I <3 Anime" on it in Japanese characters on it. So I'm in the store, browsing and holding the keychain in my hand the same way I generally do with my carabeener (my car keys). I got bored browsing and decided to wander over to teh store next door (I was originally in Hot Topic and was moving over to Spencers).

When I got to Spensers, I found went to put my carabeener on my beltclip and it wouldn't clip. That's when I looked down and realized I had walked out of the other store with the keychain I was gonna buy!

I left RW in Spencers and went back to Hot Topic, told them about my error and paid for the keychain. Luckily the cashier thought it was funny. I don't know what I would have done if I had wound up telling this to a manager (though, she may have been the manager. I dunno...)
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

It can easily happen, and if it hasn't happened to you yet, it will.. Sometimes I fear that my age seems to make it easier. Never at a place like Walmart, or some other big place, but usually at the small places you are most comfortable with.
                      It has happened to me a couple times in the last couple years. Both times went back and paid. One was a .69 package of tums that I had taken two out of the pack and slipped into my pocket out of habit The other was a newspaper that I grabbed on the way into the store, got distracted and spent 15-20 minutes talking to a friend and then went home with the paper.
                      More often lately, I have come across several instances of the clerk not charging me for items. Not going to stereotype but,,,,,, It is usually a young clerk.
                      Just yesterday, I went over to my neighborhood store and put $15.00 in gas in a container for my lawnmower, put the gas in the back of the truck and went in. Got the paper, a small bottle of spiritual refreshment, and a couple grocery items. I tell guy "and 15.00 worth of gas". I remember he had to hear it, cause he made a comment about the price of gas being so high that nobody ever hit round numbers anymore.
                      Now I am the type that does not pay a whole lot of attention when paying. I always use a check card and just hit OK when the little black box says "OK?".
                      I get out to the truck and something in my head went "ding". I look at the slip and realized I got charged $12.47. Obviously the gas wasn't on there.
                      I go back in and the guy was like "Oh thank you so much, I don't know where my head is at today"
                      This was way too rambling, but I guess my point is that everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes we get so jaded with the scammers that we forget there is a small percentage that really IS just an accident. I usually try to judge by the reaction.
                      There is a big difference in "SO, you think I'm a thief... I'm going to report you" and " Oh My God, you must think I'm some kind of thief"
                      Eben56
                      If ultimately you let the people that fuck you over decide your attitude then they won.

Comment

Something similar happened to SO and I about 4 years ago when I started working at my current job. We went to the CPK near my job because the general manager had come in handing out coupons for so much off the bill.

We figured we'd go that weekend and had a decent time. The waiter was a bit scatter brained. He brought SO the wrong pizza, then finally admitted he'd lost his slip and tried to remember what SO had wanted. I got my pizza right so I figured I'd wait til SO got his. After a while it looked like we weren't, so SO flagged down another waiter to get a manager. We got the assistant manager as the manager was apparently dealing with an issue in the kitchen (you could hear some yelling). After explaining what happened, the assistant manager took off the pizza SO was supposed to get, comped mine and then told us to pick whatever desserts off the menu, they were on the house. I did make it a point to find out how much the bill was to leave some sort of tip. Yeah, he screwed up, but silly me thought that he'd be spoken to by the manager or assistant manager.

So we get our desserts to go, and as we leave, we hear someone shouting in the mall. We figured it was kids and ignored it. A minute or so later, mall security catches up to us and says we have to go back to CPK to pay or we'll be arrested. Uh..okay.

Apparently the waiter felt that we short paid on the bill, and didn't give him a tip, so he complained to the manager, not even bothering to talk to the assistant manager. So he called the mall security to find us.

When we got back, I asked the manager if he had looked in the bill holder. Sure enough, the $5 I'd stuck in there for the tip was still there. It finally came down to poor communication between the assistant manager, manager and the waiter. The assistant manager said she'd comped us, but had neglected to tell the manager or the waiter. I was so tempted to take that $5 back but I didn't. They tried giving us coupons, but we refused and made sure that they understood we were leaving.

I did complain to the Corporate Office, never asked for any coupons or anything of that nature. We just opted to never eat at that location again. It was no surprise a few months later it was closed.
                        Random conversation:
                        Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                        DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I did recently, and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to fix it. We bought over $150 at Lowes, but I didn't notice my plumbing part ($3) was hiding behind my bag of grass seed until we got home.

Comment

Quoth InsuranceGuru View Post
                            "Yeah, I got to my car and realized I forgot to pay so I was coming back in."

Epic fail.
                            This is kind of like when someone says how sorry they are when they're caught for committing a crime. They're sorry for the families of someone they permanently scarred, or someone they murdered. Some say things like "This was my cry for help". Please. These people are only sorry or forgetful because they were caught. If they weren't caught, they would be out committing the same acts again and again.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                              I forgot to pay for a magazine once. I picked it up, wandered round the shop looking at videos and books for a while, then left. I totally forgot that I hadn't paid for the magazine I had in my hand.
                              I did that once with a postcard in my college bookstore. I was halfway across the student center when I realized I still had it in my hand. It was only a quarter, but still... I just went back and paid for it; didn't bother to tell them I had walked out with it, since no one had noticed.

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                              I did recently, and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to fix it. We bought over $150 at Lowes, but I didn't notice my plumbing part ($3) was hiding behind my bag of grass seed until we got home.

Just take it back with the receipt to the customer service desk and explain that you weren't charged. It'll probably make a good story for them
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X