X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I don't shop at Wal-mart

Among other reasons......

I was in line at a Wal-mart in Indianapolis a few years back, and in front of me in line was....we will call her Maw-muh becasue that's how her kids pronounced it.

Mah-muh was wearing clothes that were ALMOST suitable for a gym, or for being inside with the blinds drawn. Definitely NOT suitable for bing in public. On her hip was an infant, perhaps 9 months old, wearing only a diaper. No pants, no shirt. Oh, and a FULL diaper at that - no hiding THAT smell. Orbiting around Maw-muh were Jonias (Joe-NI-us) and (not kidding) Cletus, a couple of boys around 7 to 10 years old. The boys were playing human bumper cars, smashing into everything and everyone thay could. I know the names because Maw-muh bellowed at them incessantly, though they never reacted to her or calmed down in any way. Judging by the profusion of snacks, sweets, chocolate, junk food and full-calorie soda in her cart I imagine they were pretty much jakced out of their minds on various substances.

All of this is enough of a spectacle, but the heinous part came at the end. As the bill rolls out she needs to set the infant down to write a check, so she set him down ON THE SCANNER/SCALE AND ASKS HOW MUCH HE WEIGHS!

FOOD goes on that, lady! Not an infant's overfull diaper! If I had been buying food I would have dumped it right there and left. And as she scooped up her spawn and left, the cashier went on without comment, dragging my items across the very spot that Junior had just contaminated.

Just the most colorful reason I won't go back there.
    Hmm...more zombies than usual...

Dettol to cashier number 3...i repeat dettol to cashier number 3...and please hurry!!!!
    We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!

Comment

Dettol? Huh?

Comment

Screw dettol--that sounds like a job for the

Absolutely disgusting. I don't care who you are.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I work with a Cletus. He looks nothing like a stereotypical Cletus. He said as soon as he gets enough money, he's legally changing his name. I feel for him. He gets picked on so much, and he's a pretty boy, not a hick with no teeth and a straw hat.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
            I work with a Cletus. He looks nothing like a stereotypical Cletus. He said as soon as he gets enough money, he's legally changing his name. I feel for him. He gets picked on so much, and he's a pretty boy, not a hick with no teeth and a straw hat.
            If I was in his position Id make myself known as Lee. Although Im guessing he's thought of that already.

Comment

You know, my wife and I shop at Wal-Mart for our groceries because, obviously, they're cheaper and we're on a budget. But, we're starting to compare at Target as:

1. Less customers
              2. Those customers that are there are actually normal
              3. Better produce
              4. More options when it comes to items (some cereals can only be found at Target, i.e. Berry Kix)
              5. About the same prices, abit more expensive, but not pushing it

I can't wait until the day I don't have to shop at Wal-Mart. I know the company is there for us poor people to be able to afford items we wouldn't be able to usually, but it's not worth the hassle.

The last 3-5 trips to Wal-Mart, we've waited in the check out lines for around 20-30 minutes on average. TOO MANY PEOPLE!!

Comment

Target has a grocery department?! OMFGELEVENTY!!!!1111!!!!!!

Guess where I'm going tomorrow.....

I remember one Saturday at Wal-Mart with my ex, and we saw just the most hardcore hillbilly you could ever see. John Deere hat, stunk like a farm, dirty boots....my ex poked me in the rib and said "That's the major of my hometown."
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Pffft. Amateurs.

I'm from ARKANSAS. I talk to Mah-muh and her bubbey to get my TAXES done.

Honestly, though, I'd be more worried about her baby breaking the scale. Diapers don't (usually) leak. Still nasty, but I don't think Wal-Mart scales are designed for a stuff that should weigh, what, 20 pounds?
                  "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

We don't have a Target with a full grocery yet, but I'm dying for one to go in. I do buy most of my frozen and boxed stuff there, plus they do carry organic milk and certain brands of stuff for a lot less. Other items I get at Costco. And now and then I go to Lucky and stock up on the rest of the stuff I can't get anywhere else.

However, I may have to start going to Whole Foods just to get the grass fed beef. I don't cook a lot of meat, so I buy organic eggs and milk, and I had been able to get grass fed hamburger at Costco, but they're only carrying organic hamburger now, and it's not the same. I really hate Whole Foods, but the little health food store I shop at isn't big enough to carry meat.

I just won't shop at Wal-Mart. I can't deal with the lines, the other customers, the general feeling I get of icky ewwww whenever I'm inside one.
                    Last edited by wagegoth; 05-30-2008, 10:41 PM.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

The work crew that's working on the new Super Target (the one with the grocery in it) stays at my hotel. They told me it's going to be massive.

The day it opens, you'll find me there. Just drive until you get to the end of Westheimer Rd (away from downtown) and you'll spot it.
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

there is always fresh and easy, cheap and yummy stuff

Comment

All I can think of with this thread is:

"Hey Cleatus, what you got in the bag?"
                          "Just some chickens."
                          "If I guess how many there are, can I have one?"
                          "Hell I'll give you both of them!"
                          "OK... um... five?"
                          "Here you go!"

Comment

People with questionable hygiene don't shop solely at Wal-Mart.

That being said, I get accused of being OCD ( while i do have tendencies, that much has been noted by medical professionals, but no one who accuses me of it knows wth they are talking about) because things like that freak me the hell out. Which being accused of being OCD for that pisses me off since being bothered by something nauseatingly disgusting should be considered normal, not have people accuse you of being something they coined off watching nighttime tv. That in turn makes me wonder about the accusers hygiene habits, and that grosses me out.There needs to be a standard test, testing people on things like "Would you put a baby with a soiled diaper on a surface where people place food? (Y) (N)" and everyone who fails it needs to be quarantined away from hygienic people. >< damn dirty cycle!
                            I would sanitize the damn counter for them before putting my groceries there,
                            Last edited by aniwahya; 05-31-2008, 01:54 AM. Reason: spelling as usual, and adding things
                            The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury. - Marcus Aurelius
                            If you're slower than me, stupider than me, and you taste good...you're dinner - Anthony Bourdain

Memento mori.

Comment

I don't buy groceries from Wal-Mart anymore.... my local Smiths/Kroger is really good at keeping prices down, has better selection, AND is closer to my house without having to cross a busy busy busy highway. It's nice, actually... still go to Wal-mart for the random necessities (bathroom stuff, etc)
                              Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Working...
                              X