This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sighting from the newspaper

From the letters to the editor in my local paper a few weeks ago (writing from memory so probably not entirely correct):

Regarding the issue of "cakeage" (charging money to cut and serve a cake brought into a restaurant from outside), if I spend $300 in a restaurant the least the owner can do is serve my cake for free. I pay their salary!
    -Entitlement Whore

Regarding Entitlement Whore's letter yesterday, if you spend $300 in my restaurant all I'm obliged to do is give you $300 worth of food. If you then want to take up my time and dirty my cutlery and plates serving food you did not buy from me, I'm entitled to charge you a serving fee.
    -Restaurant Owner

Pfft. what cracks me up about people who pull the 'I pay their salary!' card are the people who

1) have way too much money and work in the business where they 'extort' (couldnt think of a better word) money out of customers in the same way

2) are twice as old as I am and don't understand how businesses work

3) are just UAARRRGGGHH silly and want everything for free.

It seems ridiculous to some people to pay money for a service like that, but you're going somewhere out and having someone else do it, at least expect to pay a bit extra or at the least, pay the waiter/ress for letting you have a good time and relieving you of any activity you may have done otherwise. Don't go out if you don't wanna spend money.

Heh, I'm not bitter! Its just one of those over-abused sayings that grates me.

Comment

Everyone wants something for free, but they don't want to give time for free...EVER.
      When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

OK now having seen what a few others think about it, here's my thoughts:

It's kind of sucky to bring your own food to a restaurant in the first place. And it's sucky to complain about them charging you for use of their equipment and services. The fee is no different from the fee for use of a corkscrew and glasses when you bring your own wine to restaurants with a certain kind of liquor license. (The lowest fee for that around here is 50 cents per drinker. The restaurant is run by Muslims who believe that just because they're not allowed to sell alcohol doesn't mean non-Muslims aren't allowed to drink it.)

edit: so yeah, I'm with the restauranteer. What you pay covers the food and standard service, if you want extra service you pay extra unless the staff are feeling generous.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
          The restaurant is run by Muslims who believe that just because they're not allowed to sell alcohol doesn't mean non-Muslims aren't allowed to drink it.

Wow that is actually an effective compromise*-the owners/workers don't violate their beliefs and the customers can bring in a wine they know they enjoy-bravo restaurant guys!!!!

*totally serious-I'm getting sick of seeing the hate around where I live for certain religious groups that don't believe in alcohol and therefore don't serve it. I'm fine with it but I've heard many complaints when I'm out.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
          X