This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abused Busker

Hi all, I'm new to the posting scene but I've been reading the horror stories of all of you (Particularly enjoying Kara's Correctional Officer stories. Crazy stuff ) and thank the flying spaghetti monster that I no longer work with the public

Anyway, although I have just about nothing to contribute personally, I have signed up just to post this one story which I read today. Technically not a sucky customer, but I think it deserves recognition. The SC must surely be an unstable asshole in other aspects of life too. I'd like to think not, but there's optimism and then there's foolishness.

I will transpose it to text for the people who may read this after the image hosting site has removed it due to lack of activity.

"A teenage Brisbane busker who was kicked and had his $1500 guitar smashed in an unprovoked attack at a train station has told mX he will keep playing the music he loves.

Lyle Frazer, 17, was playing and singing a blues number in a tunnel at Central station last Thursday evening when a middle-aged man approached him.

"I was down in the tunnel and this guy just came up to me, started yelling and kicked me in the side."
    "He was just swearing and yelling and then he just jumped on (my guitar) and smashed it.
    "I could not do anything, I was just devastated."

Frazer said there was a large number of witnesses, but the offender escaped security.

"There was people around and a few of them were trying to call the police and were helping me."

Frazer said his prized $1500 Maton acoustic guitar that he had brought with him from his home town of Bundaberg was completely destroyed.

Frazer, of Highgate Hill, said buskers often coped with abuse and ridicule from passing commuters.

"There are people who come through here on mobile phones that will say to you 'I'm on the phone can you be quiet'."

Frazer said he would borrow a guitar and keep playing until he could earn another one.

"I'll just keep playing other people's guitars 'til I can afford another one, 'cause music is my life."

Police eventually caught the offender, charging the 45-year old man with common assault and wilful damage. He failed to appear at court and police said a warrant had been issued."

That is mind-blowing, someone could be that blatantly horrible. I hope they catch him and throw the book at him.

And make him pay for the guitar.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

That's awful! I work one station from Central and I have walked past the buskers I cant count how many times... not all of the them are great but they try and to destroy his guitar unprovoked is just wrong!

Comment

It's terrible what some people do, isn't it?

On the other hand, apparently the kid has had quite a few people asking for contact/paypal details so they can contribute a few dollars to buy him a new guitar. I think I'll give him a hand too.

XCashier, the bastard that did it doesn't really have much choice in getting caught or not. What's he going to do? Start a new life in another country? He has an arrest warrant out on him, they know who he is. He can't exactly do a lot without being caught heh.
        With any luck they'll get him quickly and he'll suffer REAL consequences, but I'm not too optimistic about it The way things work these days, he'll probably get a few hours community service and probation and not a lot else.

Comment

Clearly, the asshole needs to fork over the dough for a brand new replacement guitar. Might be more than $1500 ... too bad for him.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I hope they throw the library at him. Just awful.
            "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
            "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
            X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Comment

Granted not all buskers are up to public performance standards, neophyte bagpipers being the worst IMHO, but you're out on the street, people! If you don't like the buskers playing, just keep walking. Jeez!

Comment

I hope they throw the book at that man. There was no reason why that busker deserved to be attacked and have his guitar smashed. I would gladly give the busker some cash for a new guitar.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

OH! That that AUGHHH even twatwaffle isn't enough for this, I love those buskers (so that is what the street performers are called, cool) hell I always give a few coins at least to them, they just make things nicer in any city and this , I want to say amoeba but I don't want to offend anything single celled, just decides he is the grand marshal of what belongs on the streets and breaks a guitar

I sooooooooo want to murder this person now,

hope the kid does get a new guitar and the less then amoeba gets what is coming to him
                  http://dragcave.net/user/LadyMage

Comment

If I had been one of the witnesses....I probably would have tried to smash him. Yes, a few buskers aren't the most talented, but you have something called feet, you can just walk away.

Methinks that insult-to-all-life-everywhere needs the Library of Congress thrown at him (preferably the building too).
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

There's this neurological disorder, I can't remember the clinical name for it, but the common name is Tin Ear. People suffering from it range from a total non-appreciation for music, up to people who find music so horrible, they react as if they'd been attacked by the musician.

It doesn't excuse attacking someone and destroying their livelihood. But it might explain things...

Comment

maybe a tin ear but yeah no excuse, he could have just walked away, besides if he can't take music, how could he handle a subway in general?

Comment

Quoth StormCMage View Post
                          maybe a tin ear but yeah no excuse, he could have just walked away, besides if he can't take music, how could he handle a subway in general?
                          Because it's an inversion of the way people's brains normally process, finding the things in sound patterns that we usually enjoy to be repellent. Regular noise and hubbub wouldn't be an issue, but someone doing an inspired rendition of Fur Elise would get a reaction similar to nails on a chalkboard fed through feedbacking speakers.
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

so now I know the busker had talent, I still can't really sympathize with that asshat though, maybe a few hours in a room with mozart blaring would cure him of his problem

Comment

There's an amazing busker in the biggest city close to me. He's always under the same bridge and takes requests from us coming back from the pub (paid requests of course). He's great. Friendly as anything. I can't imagine anyone wanting to destory what he does. Some people just shouldn't be allowed out if they're going to be that irrational.

Comment

Working...
                              X