This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANZ... The bank of nitwits.

Okay, I seriously want to strangle someone.

Me: I lost my card and need it replaced.
    Operator: Okay. May I have the card number please?

What. The. fudge?

EDIT: This was by phone by the way.

As a note, I did have the card number on my computer. but how common is it for someone to have writen down a CREDIT CARD NUMBER?!
    Last edited by Jacen; 06-11-2008, 03:53 PM.
    MMO Addicts group

Yeah, my bank also pulled that one on me, the one time I lost my card. I was a little dumbfounded for a moment and then proceeded "I lost it. How should I know ?"
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Actually that is something we should all have written down in case something like that happens.

That said, if you didn't have it then I'm sure she could have asked you for some personal information (SS#, mother's maiden name, etc.) and been able to look up the number for you.

Comment

Quoth BunnyJas View Post
        Actually that is something we should all have written down in case something like that happens.

That said, if you didn't have it then I'm sure she could have asked you for some personal information (SS#, mother's maiden name, etc.) and been able to look up the number for you.
        a credit card number is 1 third of the information you need to place an order on the internet. The rest being the CCV and the expiry date.

By the way, I said ANZ. There is no SS# here as far as I know (ANZ = Bank of AUstralia and New Zealand)

Yeah, my bank also pulled that one on me, the one time I lost my card. I was a little dumbfounded for a moment and then proceeded "I lost it. How should I know ?"
        I was dumbfounded for a moment then pulled up the information. But seriously, She asked for information that I should not have had since I... lost... the... card...

[/end of mini-rant]
        MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
          a credit card number is 1 third of the information you need to place an order on the internet. The rest being the CCV and the expiry date.
          As experienced by me many moons ago, some online merchants don't even require the latter 2 bits
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            As experienced by me many moons ago, some online merchants don't even require the latter 2 bits
            Sadly I've noticed this. A couple of sites I use regularlly don't require the CCV. I don't know who to report these sites to or where to make a complaint if it's a visa or government issue.

I also get pissed that some stores ask for my pin but most don't. Geeze, my sig can be forged. My pin however, can not (I keep it top secret and change it monthly)

EDIT: Am I really allowed to put "See ID"? on the back of the card? Anyone live in Australia that can tell me the regulations surrounding this?
            Last edited by Jacen; 06-11-2008, 06:39 PM.
            MMO Addicts group

Comment

errr.... I've always had my credit card numbers and such written down in case of loss or theft. I thought everybody did that. In addition, I tend to memorize the numbers after having typed them in somewhere or given them out. I think the only card I have in my possession whose number I have never memorized is my driver's license.
              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                Sadly I've noticed this. A couple of sites I use regularlly don't require the CCV. I don't know who to report these sites to or where to make a complaint if it's a visa or government issue.
                Report it to Visa, because even if it is a government issue, they're the ones that'll be out of the money if fraud occurs, and they'll deal with it themselves, a lot faster than the government will.
                Seph
                Taur10
                "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I always have an old credit card bill laying around - that gets me the card number if I need it.

Rapscallion

Comment

I have never had them ask me that. My account number yeah but not my credit card number. Im with a credit union though, so much happier with them than with a bank!

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                      But seriously, She asked for information that I should not have had since I... lost... the... card...
                      EVERY credit/debit card I've ever had states on the information sent with the card to WRITE the number down and keep it in a safe place in case the card is ever lost or stolen. So......yeah this is information that you should have.

Quoth Jacen View Post
                      EDIT: Am I really allowed to put "See ID"? on the back of the card?
                      check the back of your card if it says void if not signed, and your name is not "see ID" then nope it renders the card invalid. I usually signed mine in pen and wrote "see ID" in marker over it-that way it is signed and therfore valid.
                      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                        By the way, I said ANZ. There is no SS# here as far as I know (ANZ = Bank of AUstralia and New Zealand)
                        Ok, dude, chill. You didn't say that in your original post. Not everybody is going to automatically know what ANZ stands for or that you're in Australia.

And, yeah, like everyone else has said, you should have it written down somewhere. Or, you should be able to get it online, too.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

The old neighbor that jacked my card got the # off a statement. She didn't have the CVV, expiration date, or anything else except the billing address, yet she was able to order $500 worth of shoes online and forged my signature for the delivery.

Since then I've been lobbying for stronger authentication for any online transactions.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                            The old neighbor that jacked my card got the # off a statement. She didn't have the CVV, expiration date, or anything else except the billing address, yet she was able to order $500 worth of shoes online and forged my signature for the delivery.
                            I was going to reply to each post saying they write their numbers down or that you should or something, but I think these post sums it up perfectly. Writing down sensitive information (Pins, Passwords, credit card numbers, etc) is a no-no.

Ok, dude, chill. You didn't say that in your original post. Not everybody is going to automatically know what ANZ stands for or that you're in Australia.
                            I wasn't having a go at you. Thats what the was about. I've made my location very clear before too.

check the back of your card if it says void if not signed, and your name is not "see ID" then nope it renders the card invalid. I usually signed mine in pen and wrote "see ID" in marker over it-that way it is signed and therfore valid.
                            I think when I get my card, I might do that. I'll ring my bank and ask before hand through, just incase I'm not allowed to do that in this jurastiction or whatever.

I always have an old credit card bill laying around - that gets me the card number if I need it.
                            Wait... the credit card number (not account, but CC) is on the statement?

Report it to Visa, because even if it is a government issue, they're the ones that'll be out of the money if fraud occurs, and they'll deal with it themselves, a lot faster than the government will.
                            Thanks, do you have a number I should call?
                            MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                              I was going to reply to each post saying they write their numbers down or that you should or something, but I think these post sums it up perfectly. Writing down sensitive information (Pins, Passwords, credit card numbers, etc) is a no-no.
                              That's why you are supposed to keep that written info in a safe place. I keep mine in the fire-proof safe. I also shred all CC statements because they have the account number, address, etc. on them. Having them written down is a good prevention for identity theft so you can make the report on lost/stolen CC's as soon as possible.

I wasn't having a go at you. Thats what the was about. I've made my location very clear before too.
                              I have not posted here in a long time, so I don't know what everyone's previous posts say. I also did not know what ANZ stood for. Sorry for the confusion.
                              Last edited by BunnyJas; 06-12-2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X