This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    I think I would've told them "Yup, chivalry is dead. I killed it. I shot it, stabbed it, tied it up and strangled it, made sweet sweet love to the body, hacked it up into Corpse McNuggets, threw the pieces in a garbage bag, threw it in the trunk of my car, set it on fire and pushed it off a cliff. Back of the line with ya."

But as always, there are several things wrong with me, and I've had a particularly bad day.
    There's nothing wrong with you I couldn't handle.
    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
      You could also point out that chivalry applied only to the nobility, not to common folk like them.
      That depends on the era and the locality. Many chivalric codes had the knights treating the commons with respect* so long as they were being good little commoners and doing their duty. Mostly that had to do with not killing the commons for fun, or ravishing maidens who couldn't protect themselves. Also, not all nobility were bound by the code of chivalry, as technically it only applied to the knighthood. Fortunately, it was generally fasionable to follow the code even if you weren't a knight.

And yes, The term "Lady" only applied to women of noble birth (or at least title, several were sold to wealthy commons ) at the time. We've expanded the terminology on that since then.

*Of course, commons would have been expected to let their betters go first unless specifically told by their betters to go first.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Actually, chivalry goes both ways.

And if these two bimbos had any idea about what chivalry was, they'd know that. But in their case, clearly, yeah. It is dead. I mean, THEY certainly didn't display any.

Comment

Someone needs to tell those girls that Chivalry doesn't equal Exploitation

Comment

Regarding the topic: "Nah, Fitz ended the series being well alive." cookies for ref.
            I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
              Regarding the topic: "Nah, Fitz ended the series being well alive." cookies for ref.
              Hobb's Assassin and Fool trilogies. But Fitz's father was dead.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Yaaaaaaaay manager!!!
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  Hobb's Assassin and Fool trilogies. But Fitz's father was dead.
                  Here you go! * As promised.

I think we should form team-geek

*As per CC license which I respect deeply, photograph by "Smaku" at: Flickr
                  I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

I try to live a chivalrous life, and it doesn't always include letting ladies go first, as I am a female myself.
                    For example, I went to Wendy's after a long road trip, pretty hungry, but just after I walked in, a couple paramedics on their lunch break come in. As I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted, I let them go first, but even when I figured out what I wanted and they were still looking, they still went first, as I was on my way home, and they were time-limited. (*cough*and cute...)

As for them, they sound more like ladettes than ladies. (I watch too much tv)
                    "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Chivalry is not dead, it's lack of causes worthy to defend that keeps it asleep.

Also chivalry isn't about allowing people to stomp on your feet and smiling at them while they do so. Anyway, in spite of my 'Sir Lancelot' complex, I am no knight and they are clearly no ladies, and since I'm of Norse ancestry, me getting medieval might not be something they'd want to experience.
                      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                        Anyway, in spite of my 'Sir Lancelot' complex, I am no knight and they are clearly no ladies, and since I'm of Norse ancestry, me getting medieval might not be something they'd want to experience.
                        Oh baby, oh baby?

I need a cold shower now...or my husband to come home for lunch.

I would've said something to point out stupidity on their parts. Like "Chivalry demands I take off your head for insulting me by trying to go first when I'm obviously your better."

Granted that works best if your Japanese. Ah the things I learn from LARPing.
                        "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

And I am sure if you had any true Ladies present you would have offered them to go first . . .alas all you had was plain every day teenage females.

While growing up my Sister, Grandfather and I would pick up my Great Great Great Aunt and take her to lunch at MikeyD's. She would wear a hat a gloves and behave like a lady. (Yes, I would also wear my easter hat and gloves - with my shorts and t-shirt - hey I wanted to be like her but I tore up dresses to easily)

I have a feeling if the OP had seen Aunt Sis walk in he would have offered her "Ladies First"

It really is a sad state for Females to have some little twerps just thinking because they are female that makes them a lady. My thought is if I want to be treated like a lady I must first act like a lady. (But then again that involves me using the gray matter that holds my ears appart . .. is it just me or do SC'c think that is an optional item to be born with?)

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
                            *As per CC license which I respect deeply, photograph by "Smaku" at: Flickr
                            Does CC stand for Common Cookies?

Comment

I thought CC stood for Credit Card?

I suppose it could be Crackers Calling, Chillin Charcoal, Cookie Cutter......
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

CC is also Copyright, I think.

I just thought of the perfect response to those girls.

The other huffed as well, and said, "I guess chivalry is dead!"
                                "That's because you killed it!"
                                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                                X