This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I guess chivalry is dead!"

Okay, I was waiting in line at a local McDonald's. There were very few customers in the restaurant, and soon I was the only person left waiting on line.

Two teenaged girls enter the restaurant, laughing and giggling, and head toward the counter.

One of the cashiers finishes helping a customer, and calls out for the next person.

Just as I start to head toward her register, those two girls come up, walk right past me, and up to the cashier, and start telling her what they want.

The cashier looks a little confused, and seems unsure what to do.

"Excuse me," I say to the girls, in what I hoped was a polite tone of voice. "I think I was actually next. I've been waiting here."

The girls just look at me for a second, and then slowly step aside, letting me walk up to the register. They look at each other with expressions that seemed to be saying, "Do you believe this?"

One of them huffed and said, "I thought it was supposed to be 'Ladies first!'"

The other huffed as well, and said, "I guess chivalry is dead!"

I didn't want to cause any more trouble, so I just ignored them.

The manager (who was a woman herself), however, did not hesitate. She came over and sharply told the girls that they had to wait in line just like everybody else.

"If you can't handle that," she said, "then you're welcome to take your business elsewhere."

I swear . . . These girls looked as if the manager had just hit them. The manager, who looked supremely unconcerned, simply turned and went on about her business.

The girls didn't say anything else, but just sort of stood there and grumbled under their breath until another register opened up. I got my food, thanked the cashier, and left.

Since then, I've made it a point to give as much business as possible to that McDonald's. I like managers who stand up to SCs.
    “Excuse me. Is this bracelet real jade?”
    “Ma’am, this is a thrift shop. The tag on the bracelet says $1.50. It comes with a matching mood ring. What do you think?”
    “I don’t know.”
    “Yes, it’s real.”

Oh no chivalry is not dead... you're clearly not ladies.

Comment

Chivalry is offering to let someone behind you go first, be it someone with 2 items and you have a cartload, a lady, an old person, or just someone random you feel like being nice to.

It's not a lack of chivalry if the person cuts in front of you before you have a chance to not offer.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I think I would've told them "Yup, chivalry is dead. I killed it. I shot it, stabbed it, tied it up and strangled it, made sweet sweet love to the body, hacked it up into Corpse McNuggets, threw the pieces in a garbage bag, threw it in the trunk of my car, set it on fire and pushed it off a cliff. Back of the line with ya."

But as always, there are several things wrong with me, and I've had a particularly bad day.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Chivalry is when a man OFFERS to let ladies go first.....not when women EXPECT it.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

To borrow from something I read on here... "No, ladies... it's called equality. Revel in it! Back of the line."

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              I think I would've told them "Yup, chivalry is dead. I killed it. I shot it, stabbed it, tied it up and strangled it, made sweet sweet love to the body, hacked it up into Corpse McNuggets, threw the pieces in a garbage bag, threw it in the trunk of my car, set it on fire and pushed it off a cliff. Back of the line with ya."
              Where have I heard this rant before? *ponders*
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

The manager was awesome! I say the look on the girls faces were priceless LOL!

Comment

Quoth Anthony K. S. View Post
                  The other huffed as well, and said, "I guess chivalry is dead!"
                  How much do you want to bet they just heard the term somewhere and thought it sounded cool?

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

*runs*
                  Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-15-2008, 03:18 AM.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Tell them that in the days of chivalry, only whores went out in public without a guardian.

Comment

Good for the manager.

Quoth Anriana View Post
                      Tell them that in the days of chivalry, only whores went out in public without a guardian.
                      Hahaha, good one.

Looks like we have a whole new sub-species of entitlement whore ...
                      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
                        You could also point out that chivalry applied only to the nobility, not to common folk like them.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth DarkCSR View Post
                          To borrow from something I read on here... "No, ladies... it's called equality. Revel in it! Back of the line."
                          haha that's great.
                          Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Good on the manager. Nice to see someone standing up to that kind of entitlement customer.

Comment

That's not chivalry, that's just plain assholery. Good on the manager for pwning them.
                              ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X