This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bees and Other Stingers

I had a friend in college whose younger brother was also attending that same college. One day, while we were all outside talking, a bee drifted up. Now, I know I'm not allergic because I've been stung several times when younger (once when I sat on a bee that got tangled in my skirt). However, I don't like to be stung, so I take special caution around them. I don't make sudden movements, and if I can't or don't want to move away from the area, I gently move my hands to try to "usher" the stinger away. Hasn't failed me yet.

Friend's Younger Brother, however, saw the bee and started flailing his arms about madly, leaping around and whining plaintively. I told him to hold still or he was going to get stung, and his reply was, and I quote, "But I'm allergic to bees!"

I almost did a facepalm as I told him that was all the more reason to stop leaping about like a deranged monkey. I don't recall if I ever got through to him.

Re: Wal-Mart

I feel like I'm in the minority here, since I hold no real enmity for the establishment itself and only for a small percentage of the clientele (of which I've seen very similar types at other stores, so I don't believe Wal-Mart, at least around here, is the suck-magnet it's made out to be).

I, too, get annoyed by the people who stop in the foyer between doors and rearrange things, hold a conversation, etc. Same goes for the people who take up the entire width of an aisle while looking for That One Special Item, or who manage to take up a whole aisle while walking. I actually encountered two of the latter yesterday when I went to pick up a bit of extras. Two ladies just wide enough and just spaced out enough that there was no way around them with my own cart. I stuck to one side, avoiding their cart, and kept going slowly so the lady without the cart could slow down and get behind her friend briefly. Did she? No. I nearly hit the second lady because she waited until the last possible moment to squeeze herself between the two carts, rather than get behind her friend like a sensible person. Oi.

I've managed to train myself off of looking for the closest possible parking space, instead focusing on parking near cart corrals to make my trip that much easier (because I don't have to wander far from the car and my baby to return the cart). Once I sat and waited for my "ideal" parking space while someone loaded up their car next to it, before I surfaced from the brain fart and pulled into a different, not-much-further-away space.

Which leads me to wonder, what is it about the cart corrals that makes so many people avoid them? And it always seems to be the spaces closed to the corral that get abandoned carts in them, while the further reaches of the lot seem remarkably cart-free. I swear, the number of abandoned carts in parking spaces seems to increase exponentially the closer you get to the corral, yet the corral seems woefully empty and lonely. I once saw no less than five carts sitting haphazardly in the space right next to the corral. So several someones could dump their carts there, but couldn't walk ten more feet to put them in a corral?

My biggest parking lot pet peeve, though, are the ones designed in such a way that it's easier to drive across the lanes and parking spaces than along the driving lanes. The one here isn't such a bad offender of this, though I've had some people barrel across the spaces so they wouldn't have to wait at the stop sign and could actually be in front of me at the light. Time saved = 0 seconds. The worst offender was the one I frequented in Utah. From the main entrance, you had to turn left or right, past other cars, to follow the driving lane. Straight ahead, however, were empty parking spaces. Most people didn't bother to turn and use the driving lanes; they drove straight across some six or seven lanes to get even with the store entrances. I kept telling Hubby they really needed to put a cement island there to stop that, since it caused so many near-accidents it was scary.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
      You see idiots drive at Wal-Mart like it's a damn race track! You have to make damn sure that the street is clear before even thinking of walking towards the store cause if you don't watch out then you might get run over. It hasn't happened yet but sooner or later some asshole in a speeding car is gonna hit somebody in the crosswalk.
      They used to have speed bumps to make people slow down but were taken out cause too many peoiple complained about the "inconveniance". Maybe they'll put them back in when & IF somebody gets run over.
      Funny how they have them next door at Weis Market & it doesn't bother anybody over there.
      Which actually DID happen in Millersburg, Ohio--in the county to the south of mine!

A former co-worker of my husband's was there at Wal-Mart with his wife and three children, the youngest being a 3-year-old girl. She walked a little ahead of her mother in the crosswalk and some yahoo in a pick-up truck had something wrong with him...he was going about highway speed, HIT the little girl, who went flying--killed her instantly!

I also think Wal-Mart tends to be a stupid-magnet. I hate going there. It's like a redneck convention there.
      Know why it's called the American "Dream"? 'Cause you have to be asleep to believe it! --George Carlin

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
        I hold no real enmity for the establishment itself and only for a small percentage of the clientele
        Same here. KMart and Target, on the other hand...
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
          they also like bright-colored clothing so try for neutrals or anything that doesn't make you resemble (in their eyes) a giant walking flower.

This is actually dangerously untrue. Hornets, wasps, bees, and so forth, see primarily in ultraviolet. Colors look very different to them than to humans. What looks like a brightly colored flower to a human may look gray and uninteresting to a bee.

Wearing certain colors with certain subspecies however can be actively hazardous. The oft-dreaded Killer Bee (™, heh) for example, will instinctively seek out anything black and sting it repeatedly. When such a sting occurs, the bee emits a pheromone that attracts other killer bees to sting the object coated in the pheromone. Black t-shirts are a virtual death sentence if you're under attack by killer bees, since they're not thick enough to repel the stinger, but attract every bee nearby.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
            Oh, hell, I could've told them that, and saved them the cost of the study to boot! I can't count how many times I've seen someone waiting for a parking space....that's still waiting after I've pulled around them (when they're not blocking the whole damn aisle), parked and am headed into the store.
            I've just never understood it - they're gonna be doing plenty of walking inside the store. It is especially stupid when people do it at malls. I mean come on!

Comment

I suppose people don't want to park next to cart corrals because they're afraid people will hit their car with the carts. As for why they leave carts in the spaces right next to the corral, I've never figured that one out, either...
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

What really sucks (for me anyways) is the fact the Wal-Mart currently has the cheapest gasoline in town. And that's not counting the extra 3 cents off per gallon you get for using a gift card to purchase your gas with. (This is how I get cheaper gas)

And, I'm stuck going there this evening because my car is running on fumes and it's on the way home. *le sigh*
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I've noticed this phenomenon every where in TX, but, it's more prevalent at WalMart. In parking lots where the rows are one direction for traffic only, I have to be extremely watchful of everyone, as I have nearly run headfirst into a car coming toward me, in a one way lane so many times now! Learn the f*ck to follow the rules of the road!
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                    I've noticed this phenomenon every where in TX, but, it's more prevalent at WalMart. In parking lots where the rows are one direction for traffic only, I have to be extremely watchful of everyone, as I have nearly run headfirst into a car coming toward me, in a one way lane so many times now! Learn the f*ck to follow the rules of the road!
                    We don't have directional aisles at Wal-Marts here (well, except for some of the Neighbourhood Markets), but, we have the people that are hell-bent on driving down the middle of the aisle and won't move for nuthin'.

One time at some grocery store in Las Cruces, my mom came nose-to-nose with some hag going the wrong way. Well, my mom wouldn't back down and one of the store's employees happened to be out there and saw what was going on. She walked over the the hag's car and told her she was going to have to back up since she was going the wrong way! She was not a happy camper.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                    X