This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sightings Series. part two.

There is no part one. I was trying to be witty. I've an ISP again, but I won't be posting regularly. So I'm lumping everything I see into a series of shorts. Probably just one liners in some cases.

1.) Bad Name Choice: While in Ace Hardware trying to pick up some deck paint for mom, I overhear a conversation between a gentleman and the lady behind the counter. She's asking about the myriad of paint colors that he's picking up, to which he responds that he's painting the old hotel in town into a traditional colorful Victorian style. He comments on the name, which produces a laugh from myself and a few others. Of course he asks why, which prompts this response:

"You named it the Painted Lady right? You do know, that in Victorian times, that was another name for a prostitute right?"

His look of shock was priceless.

2.) Lather Rinse...: While returning an object at a Wal-Mart, I happened to watch a rather amusing exchange in front of me. This lady in her fourties was standing there quite upset at the associate. She was trying to get her money back because the hair dye she used turned her hands black. Yes. Black. Blue black I think, but I can't exactly remember the color she used. Either way, she claimed that there were no gloves in the box (they're on the instructions) and besides, the color did say that you could just lather it in, so why not use her hands? The manager simply told her that it'd just have to wear off, that there were gloves (he showed her) and there was nothing they could do.

3.) WTF? I didn't catch this whole one, I just happened to overhear it while picking up something for lunch at McDonalds. It's one of those things that I really want to know what happened, but will never find out.

MGR: (talking to someone on the phone.) Yeah. I don't know how he got it in there, but he did. Nice and tight too. Doesn't look like it's coming out any time soon either. Mind sending someone over to take a look at this?
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Re No. 1.: True, but the Painted Ladies of Alamo Square in San Francisco would not approve of that woman's remark:

Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-Painted_Ladies.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	2028823

No. 2.: Try regular chlorine bleach. Hard on the skin, but it will help. But, duh! If it'll dye your hair, it'll dye anything else it touches.

No. 3.: Don't think I ever want to know for sure.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

The lady behind the counter in #1 may be correct about hookers in Victorian times, but she's woefully ignorant about Victorian architecture. "Painted Lady" is a recognized and celebrated type of Victorian house. There are a number of books on the topic, and Painted Lady societies in places like San Francisco and New York. And Topeka, Kansas, for that matter.

Comment

I can't believe that woman was stupid enough to dye her hair without gloves. How dense is she? Does she ever go get her hair done? If the box didn't come with gloves, she should have brought it back and exchanged for a different one and checked for gloves in that box.

And black hair dye is the worst of them all. It is the toughest to get out. I should know. I dyed my hair black and got grounded, not just for dying my hair black, but for getting black hair dye all over the bathroom and the tub and shower! All the colors I've ever dyed my hair, black was the messiest.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It was orange for me. Orange was the most annoying. what's worse, the stuff I used tended to bleed. So my orange hair (yay team spirit :P) turned many of my shirts orange.
          Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
            I can't believe that woman was stupid enough to dye her hair without gloves.

Just so you know, I ALWAYS dye my hair without wearing the gloves.

Of course, I take care to wash my hands frequently.
            Last edited by Bella_Vixen; 06-19-2008, 07:55 PM. Reason: trying to lessen the hostility
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
            X