Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed, that may not have been a fanfare finish, but he's going to be reeling from that one for a while.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

BOO-Yah!

I've been waiting for that all day long. Congrats to your uncle on a flawless victory. However, I bet he never gets paid. Certainly not as much as the judge declared. If this twit had the money he probably wouldn't have been such a dead-beat in the first palce. Lets hope I'm wrong!
      Hmm...more zombies than usual...

Comment

Congo rats to your Uncle and I hope that he gets every cent that the cool judge awarded.

Comment

An excellent ending... but what do we do with the extra popcorn?
          "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Quoth Gruesome View Post
            BOO-Yah!

I've been waiting for that all day long. Congrats to your uncle on a flawless victory. However, I bet he never gets paid. Certainly not as much as the judge declared. If this twit had the money he probably wouldn't have been such a dead-beat in the first palce. Lets hope I'm wrong!

Yep, that's the problem with those types of judgements, getting them enforced...
            "You get what anyone gets... You get a lifetime" Death

Comment

Yeah, I'm worried that Uncle won't get paid.

Quoth Trayol View Post
              An excellent ending... but what do we do with the extra popcorn?
              Popcorn party!

Or perhaps we could invent a popcorn launcher to help enforce the verdict?
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi
                perhaps we could invent a popcorn launcher to help enforce the verdict?
                The first thought I had of this is someone trying to dig a popcorn kernel out of their eye.

It would be a good addition to JuniorMintz's story, though.
                "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

i dont seems like one of those things that its so much money if he does comply he will be screwed...

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                    i dont seems like one of those things that its so much money if he does comply he will be screwed...
                    If he doesn't, he's screwed worse. You don't pay court fines, your ass is in jail. I dunno 'bout you guys, but I'll take bankruptcy over a cellmate named Frank any day.
                    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Oh yeah ! Not quite an apotheosis, but Wonder Idiot's ass will hurt for a long time, from the kicking he got.
                      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

I am thinking that on late night TV I have seen ad's for settlement disspursement companies. In other words for a percentage of the money . . .they will upfront pay you the rest of the settlement . . .then they go after the person to collect.
                        If your Uncle isn't concerend about getting the grand total . . .then he might consider looking into something like this . . .less headache for him.

Comment

Collecting on the Judgment

Quoth Emrld View Post
                          I am thinking that on late night TV I have seen ad's for settlement disspursement companies. In other words for a percentage of the money . . .they will upfront pay you the rest of the settlement . . .then they go after the person to collect.
                          If your Uncle isn't concerend about getting the grand total . . .then he might consider looking into something like this . . .less headache for him.
                          A settlement is different from a judgment. A settlement is the result of an agreement separate from an award in court. A settlement could be a flat amount or could be in installments. Those companies are set up for situations where you are getting a settlement in installments but you want the money up front. They don't pay you the full amount awarded; they pay you a large amount, then collect the installments from you as they come in. It's actually a loan arrangement.

They will also do that with lottery winners who are getting annual payments but want a large amount, one-time payment instead.

Now, I have seen ads recently for companies that say they will front money to you based on your case while it's still ongoing, but I have no idea how they do that.

A judgment in small claims court can be hard to collect. If WI had a business, it would be easier, because in some jurisdictions you can pay the sheriff or a bailiff or similar officer of the court to sit in the business and collect all the money that comes in until the debt is paid. You can place liens against personal property, but he doesn't appear to own anything locally. It should be worth the money to pay for an internet search on WI and spouse to see if there are any bank accounts or holdings in the state. But it would be necessary to find out what state law is to find out if it is possible to seize any funds. So, it sounds like Repsac's uncle should consult with his lawyer to find out the best way to proceed on collecting, but it's going to take some work on his part, no matter what.
                          Last edited by wagegoth; 06-27-2008, 07:07 PM.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                            However Wonder Idiot isn't beyond throwing us for a loop. Now he's summoned my UNCLE to testify...for the defense.

He doesn't have a lawyer, does he? Trying to do this all by himself in magistrate court and thinking he's a badass My Cousin Vinny?
                            I'm sorry, but my paralegal learnings (let me show you them!) and I are, well, flabbergasted. Talk about a HOSTILE WITNESS. Talk about the magistrate laughing her ass off, even if she lets it pass. This guy is in for a beating.

Quoth repsac View Post
                            WI's lawyer is pretty well known in this state. Very well known in fact.
                            For a second I thought you were talking about Tokars or Skandalakis and then I saw it couldn't be possible. Care to divulge?

Quoth repsac View Post
                            Seven days to get out of the house. Charged with paying for the clean up, repainting, mowing, as well as uncle's motel room for the next week. Furthermore, he must pay all the back rent, as well as one half of the purchase price. The latter being for "pain and suffering" caused by the slander which wonder idiot did to uncle the whole time the case was winding up. oh, and he also has to pay Uncle's lawyer fees and all the court costs.
                            *wince* Harsh and deserved tunes. He should have been man enough to show; it would have been mitigated just a little.
                            I expect it's going to be hell collecting that judgment.
                            I expect that a lien on the guy's property is in your Uncle's future.
                            And garnishment.

Comment

UPDATE:

Something curious has developed. WI has till monday at midnight to move out. This upcoming Monday.

However he has not moved anything from the home, and doesn't seem inclined to do so. However at 12:01 Tuesday morning (AM) he will be trespassing.
                              Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                                UPDATE:

Something curious has developed. WI has till monday at midnight to move out. This upcoming Monday.

However he has not moved anything from the home, and doesn't seem inclined to do so. However at 12:01 Tuesday morning (AM) he will be trespassing.
                                Quick! Someone call Cops!
                                "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Working...
                                X