This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow...that's low, lady...

Quick sighting at the grocery store tonight. I was in Kroger, finished my purchases and decided to head to the in store Starbucks for a treat, to delay going out into muggy heat to wait for the bus. There are two ladies in front of me, taking forever to place their order, one is relying on a walker and the other is the dominant one in the pair. First, the dominant one is rather snide with barista, telling him he might want to take notes, because her drink is complicated.

(She wanted a tall decaf hazelnut latte, with half and half. Not too complicated, compared to some of the things I've ordered, personally, but that's beside the point.)

She then orders a tea, and goes into a five minute argument with the barista over the size, and the number of teabags to use.

Then, as she's waiting to pay, she points to the other woman, who is apparently her daughter, and announces she's fighting cancer, and well, she almost died numerous times, and it's just so hard for her family to deal with!

Me:
    Barista:

The barista says he's glad the daughter is doing well, and that she's out of the house, and that his wife is also fighting a fierce round of cancer, and that he hopes she continues to do well. Rather sweet of him, I thought. So, what was the mother's response?

"Well, since you know what a hard time it is, maybe we could have our drinks for free!"

Barista: Uh... What?

"Well, you know, as a show of support." At this point, she turns to me and asks "Don't you agree?"

Me: Oh, look at the pretty... uh...pretty sushi making guy at that kiosk over there... (Avoids eye contact like a fiend)

End result, she didn't get free beverages, and even got snippy about having to carry her daughter's drink, demanding she be given a beverage carrier because how can she carry two beverages, when she only has two hands free? (Didn't quite grasp that logic myself)

But seriously, how low is that? Using your daughter's illness to try and get freebies. That's kind of sickening to me.

That is sickening.

Comment

As soon as I got to the part where she announced that her daughter was fighting cancer, I thought "Yep, she wants it for free." Glad to see my instincts are still sound. God, I'm so jaded these days. Glad to see her cancer card was not accepted. Now if we can only get the race card declined at all stores across the land, we are on our way to some sort of happiness.
      I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

That's just wrong! If that SC wants a freebie, I got one for her...a free trip to the !
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

On the bright side, if the daughter recovers and lives a long life, she'll be able to bring her Mother to Starbucks and ask for free drinks since her Mom has bladder control and memory issues.
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Man, oh, man. people suck, I wonder if her daughter really had cancer or whether that was just made up to get free drrinks.

Comment

What a sick, sad, horrible person that woman is.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Cancer : a new excuse to demand freebies, tonight in Sick Sad World.
                "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

How'd the daughter react to that? If my mom did that to me, I would open a pit in the ground with the sheer weight of my humiliation and urge to be anywhere else, and crawl right in.

Comment

That's Disgusting! That poor Barista! I feel really sorry for her Daughter to!

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                      OMG, brings back good memories! Daria!!! *sings Daria theme song*
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Metody View Post
                        How'd the daughter react to that? If my mom did that to me, I would open a pit in the ground with the sheer weight of my humiliation and urge to be anywhere else, and crawl right in.

Oh, the daughter was mortified. She kept nudging the mom, saying "c'mon, can we just go?" etc, etc.

Poor thing. Seriously. Although, my brain is still trying to figure the math involved in two hands and two drinks and yeah...never mind...

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                          I love you.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

this lady competes with the father who called in who argued that he shouldn't have to pay an extra person charge for his son... he asked me just what we considered a person (for the purpose of rates) and at the location he was asking about they considered everyone a person for the purpose of rates... so I told him that if they have a heart beat they have to be counted and his response was then well his son had a heart murmor and therefor should not be counted as a full person
                            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                              this lady competes with the father who called in who argued that he shouldn't have to pay an extra person charge for his son... he asked me just what we considered a person (for the purpose of rates) and at the location he was asking about they considered everyone a person for the purpose of rates... so I told him that if they have a heart beat they have to be counted and his response was then well his son had a heart murmor and therefor should not be counted as a full person

Competes with? Hell, I think he takes the prize! WTF do you mean your kid's not a "full" person!?

I say we set up stupid farms. Islands where we can put all the SCs and EWs, and let them fight it out. Kind of like a Battle Royale of epic proportions. Last one standing is the only one the world has to deal with.

<Sigh> At least that's what I dream of, until reality bitch slaps me with a cinder block...

Comment

Working...
                              X