This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really?

Okay, this happened a few days ago now, but it just popped back into my head.
    I was at a GameStop, trading in some games so I can cover my share of rent this month, and was looking for cash back. They had me sign the electronic screen, and I idly perused the legalese above the signature box.
    "I swear the items I'm trading in are mine, and that there are no liens or whatever on them."
    I stopped, and looked up at the guy running my transaction. "Seriously? You're worried about liens on video games? Now, I'm no mortgage whiz, but, there really aren't any games I've ever heard of that are worth enough for a company to put the lien on them instead of a house, a car... whatever..."
    Guy just shrugged. Can't say I blame him, but it caught my attention.
    "I call murder on that!"

Probably just a default saying in a piece of software designed for pawn stores or something.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
      Probably just a default saying in a piece of software designed for pawn stores or something.
      Exactly what I was thinking.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Hmm, I dunno. Maybe it's not at complicated as a big morgage company. If you promised someone your copy of a game if you don't pony up money within a certain time frame, then you shouldn't be trading it in, even if it IS your game. Sounds more like the company is washing their hands of a possilbe lawsuit/legal mess.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          Sounds more like the company is washing their hands of a possilbe lawsuit/legal mess.
          Well, I got that. It just threw me off was all.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
            Now, I'm no mortgage whiz, but, there really aren't any games I've ever heard of that are worth enough for a company to put the lien on them instead of a house, a car... whatever...
            Well, maybe Steel Battalion.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
              Very awesome game, btw. Had to keep my X-Box around for it since the controllers won't work on the 360.
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                "I swear the items I'm trading in are mine, and that there are no liens or whatever on them."
                I stopped, and looked up at the guy running my transaction. "Seriously? You're worried about liens on video games?
                Quoth ArticChicken View Post
                Um, I looked online once (because of a story on lost treasures that mentioned video games.) and found out several of my old games sell for good buckage. I have most of the old Working Designs (origional Lunar 1 & 2, Vay, ect.) games, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radient Silvergun, and a few others that sell for good money on E-Bay. I also have a Playstation (the -1001 series) that sells for big bucks to audiophiles because of the CD player they used in the building of it. And that's just stuff I've accumulated over the years. I could see liens on certain games.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                  if that's exactly what it said I'd be surprised by the mention of liens and even more surprised by the "or whatever" ... that just sounds so professional and legalese
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

There's a few games I know of that are worth a good deal. I've got some.

Harvest moon (SNES) still sells for over 40 dollars. It's one of those really hard to find games.

In fact, anything from the harvest moon series is worth a lot.

Another for PS2 that's really rare is "Magna Carta" . Crappy gameplay, but pretty ok story.
                    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      "or whatever" ... that just sounds so professional and legalese
                      Nope, that would be me editorializing because I couldn't remember the other word they used...
                      Quoth Geek King View Post
                      Um, I looked online once (because of a story on lost treasures that mentioned video games.) and found out several of my old games sell for good buckage. I have most of the old Working Designs (origional Lunar 1 & 2, Vay, ect.) games, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radient Silvergun, and a few others that sell for good money on E-Bay.
                      Except GameStop doesn't taken any games from systems older than the PS2 now. They can't buy them at all.
                      Last edited by Imogene; 07-04-2008, 02:03 AM. Reason: Thought of something
                      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Years ago I went to one of those store front 'everyone can get a loan' type places. One thing they want to know is what possessions you have, including TVs, stereos, video games, etc. So it's possible that you could have a lein against video games. I never reached point of getting a loan from them, but I believe if I had, I'd have to list out everything I was going to use for collateral.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                          Except GameStop doesn't taken any games from systems older than the PS2 now. They can't buy them at all.
                          Oh, sure, stomp on my points with your petty reality.

Oh, and in certain states, it would be illegal to sell anything belonging to you without reporting it if there were a general lien against your property. Gamestop probably got bitten by that at one point, so I'd change my arguement to CYA now.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                          X