This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returns problem

I really don't know why I continued arguing in the circumstances...

Last week I went to return a bra I'd bought the week before. I got it home and realised that I'd bought the wrong size (wrong marked size not just that it wasn't a good fit) so I took it back to the store. The store allows returns with a receipt but in this case I just wanted the same item in the right size, and also took the opportunity to look round the shop.

So I went in, checked in at the checkout desk (small store with one desk with a couple of tills on it), left the returned item and my receipt with the agreement they'd credit it once I'd picked out what I wanted.

Went back to the desk with the new bra and about £40 of other items. The returned bra was the most expensive otherwise I had a couple of T-shirts for £10 some £35 trousers reduced to £10 in the sale and a couple of cheaper bras at £8 and £12 I think. So far so good.

No problem with the return. While the woman is ringing things up and folding things I start trying to figure out how much I'm spending - at least to get out the right bank notes.

They ask for £24.

I'm having a slow day. I look at the £40 in my hands. I look at the amount rung up. I object.

(I am honest. The fact that I continued arguing is probably more to do with being a pedant).

She says that it is right. And patiently explains that the identical bra is a return.

So I go through the items. £10, £10 and look £8 - and look still another item left. She goes through the items £10, £10 £8 - but that's OK because one is a return...

I work out what she's done. She's given me the replacement bra for free and deducted the price from the shopping. I explain this. She still doesn't get it - and again claims it's right. At this point the manager (standing at the other till right next to us) comes up and asks if I'm all right. I had to explain it to her 3 times. The original woman never got it. She looked a bit hurt when the manager sided with me.

It really shouldn't be that hard to argue people out of under charging you £16. And it isn't like I wouldn't like £16

Victoria J

Even though you argued it at least you were honest enough to point out the mistake.
    While the cashier was confused, I'm sure once she figured it out she was glad you pointed it out.

Comment

Some people just don't like being wrong and hate when other people point out their errors. No matter what the situation.

Comment

That's true, but by the end of the day, I'm pretty sure she'd rather being told she was wrong than having her till off.
        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
          Even though you argued it at least you were honest enough to point out the mistake.
          While the cashier was confused, I'm sure once she figured it out she was glad you pointed it out.
          I would add that I did remain polite. I disagreed with her and tried to explain why, I wasn't rude.

I don't think she was glad (or upset) she just did not get it.

She did go on to keep apoligising as if she'd tried to overcharge me, and I kept saying that really she didn't need to. I wasn't upset and really it wasn't like she'd done anything to hurt me.

I do try to be honest if only because I know people can get in to trouble if there till doesn't balance (though I guess in this case it would have done, they'd just be minus the bra I took in return).

It was just a bit odd.

I did have a previous experience when I was rude about being undercharged. It was just before I started university about 10 years ago now (eek ! - I hadn't realised I was so old) and I bought a whole lot of stationary etc. from my favourite office supply shop. I love my stationary and thoroughly enjoyed browsing and picking stuff up. It's a little shop with a single till, and is the only place I know to sell some of the stuff.

I had lots of little purchases (individual files etc.) among other things, and a total of around £60. I'd been trying to keep track of what I was spending.

I go up to the till and there is some terrible young man (around 16/17) working, and an older woman (around 40). He is checking out (and very unusually for shops round here) she is packing things for the customers. He spends the entire time he's checking out the stuff talking to someone at the back of the shop and clearly has an amazingly high opinion of himself.

Total is about 2/3 what it should be, and he's missed about one item in 3 !

I fairly gently say I think he's missed some things. He rudely denies it. I just look at him, and he starts to say that maybe the other worker (who is only bagging !) missed some stuff. Really really got to me. So I did get nasty. I pointed out that she had not missed anything, that he had made numerous mistakes and that X was bagged but not rung up, and Y, and Z and ... A whole lot of letters, I guess I should have started at A and take stuff out of the bag, check it off the receipt and pass it back.

He very sullenly did ring it up in the end. I never saw him there again. I rarely wish that on someone but in this case I really hope they sacked him. Rude and incompetent is one thing but rude, incompetent and then blaming colleagues who are neither is unforgivable !

Victoria J

Comment

I must be evil.

I'm honest. To a point. Undercharge me and I'll point it out. Argue with me and I'll shrug and go "Okay" and consider it my good fortune.

You get one shot.

Comment

Working...
            X