This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate the Calgary Stampede

Ten days of everyone pretending to be cowboys, drinking too much, setting off fireworks in their backyards, driving while drunk, and otherwise causing emergency services to have to come save their sorry asses.

Four days in and I'm already tired of the constant sirens, the even-crazier-than-usual traffic, and everyone wearing a stupid cowboy hat and asking me where my hat is. Grar.

If anyone needs me, I'll be riding my bike in a straight line OUT of the city.

Quoth Buglady View Post
    If anyone needs me, I'll be riding my bike in a straight line OUT of the city.
    Come up to Edmonton. No one here gives a rat's behind about the Stampede.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

what's wrong w/ cowboy hats?

and man, that sounds like the 4th of july over a ten day period... :loves me some fireworks:

Comment

Quoth CorDarei View Post
        what's wrong w/ cowboy hats?

and man, that sounds like the 4th of july over a ten day period... :loves me some fireworks:
        It's a ridiculous affectation on a yuppie. And there's no fireworks

Comment

Cowboy hats on non-cowboys ... pathetic.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Um, I've got one (black felt) when I was in the US for the first time. It's not worn these days (save for fun reasons), so it's a souvenir.

Yeah, that's right. A souvenir...

Rapscallion

Comment

I have a cowboy hat, and I admit to wearing it. But Broom's right, it's an affectation. Let me put it this way: I probably wouldn't wear it if I thought people would actually mistake me for a cowboy.

Question: Is there a friendly city rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary? Seems to me like there might be.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                Question: Is there a friendly city rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary? Seems to me like there might be.
                >_>
                <_<
                Uh...
                maaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyybe... *cough cough*
                Hockey: Flames vs. Oilers.
                Football: Stampeders vs. Eskimos
                The two largest cities in Alberta.
                Only a wee bit of potential for rivalry between Edmonton and Calgree.

Comment

Ooh nothing says fun like 10 days of horrific animal cruelty.
                  Whenever I see a commercial for the Stampede I consider throwing a brick at the TV.

Comment

Heh. Try pressing all the jeans and stuff that comes through. At my DC we have something called 'Cowboy Startch' style jeans, which makes them stiff as cardboard.

No wonder the cowboys walk funny.

Worked at the Stampede for two years too. Lots of fun, but yeah. The traffic is a killer. Luckily, one year I worked night shift, so I could sleep all day, second year I was across town. They pay well I must say, and I didnt have THAT many sucky customers.
                    Last edited by Horsetuna; 07-14-2008, 02:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
                    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                      Ooh nothing says fun like 10 days of horrific animal cruelty.
                      That line is out of bounds for CS. If anyone wants to respond to or further that thought, it can be at Fratching.

Comment

Yeah sometimes the stampede can bring out the stange in people. But hey $13 for a superdog show and a live concert (Puddle of Mudd, first concert ever!) is a sweet deal.
                        If it makes sense, it's not allowed™. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

Great. Just great. do you know what I have running through my head after reading this post??

"'Cause Alberta doesn't suck...but Calgary does!"

(Arrogant Worms!)
                          Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

Quoth Jpurple View Post
                            "'Cause Alberta doesn't suck...but Calgary does!"
                            It's funny because it's true *elbows Spiffy, then runs in terror*

Comment

Working...
                            X