This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We don't want your kind...

This one ended up being a total moment for me. I'm still not quite sure what happened, though I do know it seemed to amuse the people at the coffee house.

Background: While I speak several languages passably well, I'm trying to learn to write in Japanese. It's stupid really, I can understand if it's spoken to me, but when I see the Hiranga, I just draw a blank. So, I'm taking a pretty advanced course to learn that. Part of this course is homework that consists of a table of japanese words (phonetically spelled) that I have to translate into Hiranga. They're very repetitive, with some of the words actually repeating within the work. Typically there's 200 or 300 words on a sheet.

Having nothing else better to do, I decided to head into town to do a bit of study work. I needed to review, as I keep mixing up the symbols for chi and shu, as well as a few of the other sounds. So, I took my notebook and papers with me, camped out in a chair with a good cup of coffee, and went to work.

After about a good fifteen minutes or so, this couple come in arm in arm. Now, I don't want to be stereotypical when I describe them, but the best thing I could say is...redneck, with a nice heaping of trailer trash. That fits them just about right. Waddling up to the counter, this couple order "Lates" (they couldn't pronounce Latte) and then turn to find a seat. As they near, I tried to go back to my notes, but eventually had to stand so they could squeeze past me and sit on the table directly behind mine. Since I was up, I decided to head into the bathroom, leaving my notes behind.

You know, looking back at this I realize now that I should have been more angry. I mean, what I'm about to tell you is still fresh in my mind, but I just can't fathom some moron doing this.

Either way, as I return I note that "hubby" is giving me this sour look, and my notes are scattered a bit on the table. As I sit down it takes me a moment to shuffle my papers, figure out where I was, and start writing again. During this time I could practically feel the glare he and his...well I hope it was a woman, I still find I'm not sure... While his woman stared at me.

Another minute passes, during which he clears his throat a few times, apparently trying to get my attention. Finally I look to him and he speaks. (picture Boomhauer from King of the Hill and you've got the accent this guy had down pat.)

WARNING: Rude and obscene language, as well as racial slurs pending.

"I don't know who you think you are Achmed, but we don't want your kind in here! We don't need no damn r-- heads here, so if you knew what was good for you you'd get your stinking ass up and out of here before I have to kick it myself."

Putting my pen down I just stared at the guy, after a second I started to speak but was cut off by him.

"What, you deaf. Don't understand ENGLISH Achmed!? Damn r-- heads, I know your type. Down here writing those plans of yours to bomb something. I bet you're one of them there sleeper cells. Where are you from Achmed? Iran? You look like it..."

My only reply to him was, in a thick southern drawl. "Selma...Alabama." Picking up my papers, I quietly started to clean up, but couldn't leave without one last snipe at him.

"You know, I guess it's true. Rednecks really Can't read. I mean, if you could, you'd have noticed the top of my paper here that you pawed over. The one that reads "Japanese Homework." "

There was no standing ovation, no clapping of hands. I quietly walked out, leaving him and his...gosh I hope that was a woman. His whatever to sit and stew.

It is worth noting: I am 6'8" tall, have blue black hair, covered in freckles, speak with a THICK southern accent, and happen to hail from a place far deeper in the south than Georgia.
    Last edited by repsac; 07-11-2008, 07:30 PM.
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

It's not that they can't read. It's that they're ignorant.

Didn't you see the episode of King Of The Hill when the Laosian neighbor (I forgot his name, I don't watch it that often) moves in, and Hank asks "So are you Chinese or Japanese?" and he responds "Laosian" and Hank once again asks "Chinese or Japanese?"

It's kind of like that. They are just purposely ignorant and stupid.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Wow, that makes me furious just reading it. I can't say that I wouldn't have flung whatever beverage was on hand into his face.

Nice parting snipe, though.
      Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Wow,

You really do get into a lot of interesting situations Repsac.
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

1st - what an A-hole.

B - You are 6' 8", and this guy was threatening you? I think the words coming out of my mouth sould have been a little closer to "Step up, Cletus. And send your mother outside first so she doesn't have to watch me hurt her little boy."

Racists annoy the hell out of me. Occasionally my father will let something slip and it just makes me cringe.
          Hmm...more zombies than usual...

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
            It's not that they can't read. It's that they're ignorant.

Didn't you see the episode of King Of The Hill when the Laosian neighbor (I forgot his name, I don't watch it that often) moves in, and Hank asks "So are you Chinese or Japanese?" and he responds "Laosian" and Hank once again asks "Chinese or Japanese?"

It's kind of like that. They are just purposely ignorant and stupid.

Some people just have the ignoramus genes in them. What a fucking racist dumbass. I remember that episode..Kahn was the name of the new guy in the neighborhood that Hank and the guys kept asking if he was Chinese or Japanese and tried explaining that he was Laotian.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Gruesome View Post
              I think the words coming out of my mouth sould have been a little closer to "Step up, Cletus. And send your mother outside first so she doesn't have to watch me hurt her little boy."
              Replace "Mother" with "sister" and "Little Boy" with "boyfriend" and you've got pretty much what I would have said, had I deigned to acknowledge his existence in the first place.

Comment

"Oh, hey, we got a big shot racist here! Ooo! I'm so scared!"

What perfect examples of wastes of flesh.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Wow, just wow. I would have him in the face. No wait how about Much better. Seriously, how can you possibly confuse Japanese with Arabic???? That's pretty ignorant...

Comment

You where actually very calm, where it me on the situation it would've ended in a Mysty situation, with police on site and the walls covered in blood. Btw the guy must be really retarded to mistake hiragana with arabic.... it's so friggin different

P.s. Repsac, I seemed to suck in hiragana with no effort, but for some odd reason katakana is much harder for my brain to memorize :/
                    Last edited by Bliss; 07-11-2008, 11:01 PM.
                    I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Right there we have an example of why cousins shouldn't marry.
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

People are dumb. But that's nothing we didn't already know.

On one hand, I can understand maybe not recognizing Japanese. I wouldn't have before I took a semester of it. But the reaction was unbelievable no matter what language it was.

(My hiragana problems were 'n' and 'so', and 'shi' and 'tsu'. Forget katakana. That one still hurts my brain.)
                        NPCing: the ancient art of acting out your multiple personality disorder in a setting where someone else might think there's nothing wrong with you.

Comment

Having looked at my two tables for hiranga and kantaka, I can see how the uneducated could misunderstand what the letters and characters are. However it doesn't look anything like arabic, more like chinese. (don't get me on Kanji. I'm not even GOING there yet.)

Bliss, I've found that copying the tables over several times helps with the problem, though it still seems weird. If anything it gives me a mild schizophrenic feeling. Like the person who orignally created this couldn't make up their mind what they wanted, and just went with all of it :P
                          Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

I have had that recently here in Tokyo, except I had a research paper in Spanish (and a translation) underneath. I was sitting in a restaurant when an American couple sat next to me.

I had no idea where they were from. Nor did I really care - I was studying (physics)

Anyways, the same thing, I could hear him clearing his throat a lot, then he said:

"Can't we get away from you Mexican bastards?"

I was wtf!

Then she said:

"Taking over Japan now, are you?"

I shrugged and went back to my study...

Almost spluttering the man kinda exploded

"DON'T YOU DARE TURN YOUR BACK ON ME!!!!"

I turned around and in my calm teacher voice (slight Australian-British accent)

"Excuse me sir, but wil you please not involve me in your delusional racist fantasies"

To which 3 other tables ( with foreigners on it) absolutely pissed themselves laughing.

Comment

Damien, that's great.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X