This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good for a laugh (or a sob)

I just have a ton of fun with the big corporations. I just sent my g/f an email and figured it would fit here, too.

So, we had to change one of our accounts with Tropicana, because they had the company name of <old company name>, which is defunct. We had to send them a letter (on letterhead) with <new company name>, tax ID, and explaining it was the same owner and just a change due to corporate restructuring for tax purposes. Otherwise we would have to put in an application for a new account and everything.

So, I faxed that letter last week and left a voicemail with my contact asking her to let me know when we’re all set and if I had to wait for them to issue new paperwork. I haven’t heard back, and it’s been a week, so I called them again to follow up. Turns out the system was stalled because my contact, her team leader, and her contact in the accounts department were all confused by my letter.

It turns out that neither they, nor anyone they asked, knew what the word ‘defunct’ means. Nor were they able to figure it out from the context.

I’m not sure if I want to laugh or cry…

And they couldn't find a dictionary or a thesaurus? I believe I'll then
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

It is SO rude to use large words, or words not commonly taught by the 6th grade, on people who don't have the luxury of a fancy-shamncy education like yourself. How dare you! What an education snob. I bet you read Chaucer for fun! You'll never know the true joys in life - NASCAR, wrestling and nudie bars.

I pitty you.

Hmm...more zombies than usual...

Comment

Wha...? Defunct confused them? IN THE BUSINESS WORLD?

Defunct is in every other article in the buiness news. What kind of ninnies work in that office, and who the hell was asleep in HR when they got hired. Sheesh!
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
          And they couldn't find a dictionary or a thesaurus? I believe I'll then

I think they needed a dictionary to find out what IS a dictionary.

Comment

Oh, cool. Different sections of my brain are throbbing now because of that.

I think it's doing the intro to "Wherever I May Roam".
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

It reminds me of the time I was bashed in a programmer's chat for using such a "ancient" and "difficult" word as paradigm.
              I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

I like using the word defunct cause the less educated I am surrounded by think I'm saying something naughty.
                ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Christ on a cracker! It's not often that someone uses a word that I don't know, but when it happens, I scurry over to google and look it up. I cant even BEGIN to fathom an entire office not knowing, and worse, not having a clue how to figure it out.

"So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                  X