X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weirdness at it's finest

Ok just a few from today.

The sighting that gives the post it's title.
    I was riding the TRAX into downtown, at the Courthouse station one of the doors on my train get stuck open... and I'm not sure which is weirder, the fact that the driver thought that just kicking the door would make it work... or the fact that it actually did

Salt Lake Central was busy as usual, no real sightings, but I did notice there is a job that I now want... there is a guy at Salt Lake Central has a guy whose only job is to when a Greyhound bus is pulling out stand behind it to make sure none of the UTA buses up behind it while it's backing. I don't know how much they're paid, but that job is so easy I want it.

Went to my now only job to ask for more hours... supposedly I'll have more starting next week, so that's good news, but I decided sense I was so close to the airport I'd go out and see if I recognized anyone from when I worked out there last, over a year ago... and EVERYONE I knew from when I worked out there was still there... weird.

Coming back there was one funny thing from my trip home, there was a tourist on the TRAX train who asked why the train was so long, was Salt Lake really large enough to fill one of those (hardi har har... he learned just how stupid that question was by Galivan Plaza when it was standing room only).

Oh and I love our TRAX drivers, especially when their bluff actually turns out not to be a bluff... some idiot was trying to hold a door so a friend who was running late could make the train... the driver used the intercom to tell the guy to get out of the door... idiot wouldn't move the the driver then said "will the transit officer doing fare checks in car 2 please go back to car 3 to remove the person who is obstructing operations... doors closed 2 seconds later... what was funny was there was an officer that was checking my fare who made the comment "wow, that was a lucky bluff, he has no way of knowing which car I'm checking or if I'm even on the train"

eta, watching the History Channel (aka the best channel on cable, the second best of course being the Discover channel, and 3rd place being comedy central) and there was a show on the ancient Holy Land and they were doing the little factoids during the commercials... anyone want to guess what the most stolen book in history is? Well sense this is a post on weirdness at its finest you might want to think about one you would never expect... yup, that's the one, The Holy Bible is the most stolen book in history... that my friends is the definition of irony.
    Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 07-16-2008, 04:30 AM.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
    The sighting that gives the post it's title.
    I was riding the TRAX into downtown, at the Courthouse station one of the doors on my train get stuck open... and I'm not sure which is weirder, the fact that the driver thought that just kicking the door would make it work... or the fact that it actually did
    Percussive Maintenance : It's not just for electronics!

Don't worry too much. To guess, I'd say the doors need a bit of oil, and the kick breaks the friction between the door and its track just enough to allow the mechanics to work and force the door shut. A littles WD-40 would probably do the trick.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
      Percussive Maintenance : It's not just for electronics!

Don't worry too much. To guess, I'd say the doors need a bit of oil, and the kick breaks the friction between the door and its track just enough to allow the mechanics to work and force the door shut. A littles WD-40 would probably do the trick.
      those trains have been running from 5am to 1am 6 days a week and something like 7am to 9pm 1 day a week, for the last 9 years... I'm surprised that they are still in such good working order and all they need is to be kicked...

Comment

anyone want to guess what the most stolen book in history is? Well sense this is a post on weirdness at its finest you might want to think about one you would never expect... yup, that's the one, The Holy Bible is the most stolen book in history
        especially because most religious groups will give you one for free(the bibles placed by the gideons are meant to be taken actually-but no one does). I actually have a copy of the book of Mormon around here somewhere-with the cell phone numbers of the guys that gave it to me written inside the cover "in case I ever needed anything"

The guy gave off a kinda creepy vibe when he said anything-and told me to call anytime day or night, he'd be over in 10 minutes
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
          especially because most religious groups will give you one for free(the bibles placed by the gideons are meant to be taken actually-but no one does). I actually have a copy of the book of Mormon around here somewhere-with the cell phone numbers of the guys that gave it to me written inside the cover "in case I ever needed anything"

The guy gave off a kinda creepy vibe when he said anything-and told me to call anytime day or night, he'd be over in 10 minutes
          yeah dont be to creeped out, genereally its because you will have a problem.
          ive seen people converted because of a car accident
          sometimes, its because o f drugs, alcohol, work, so its not too creepy.
          the fact its hs CELL is creepy, normally its a group home for the missionarys, and if your a girl, it may be hs number but they usually send women women in return

Comment

ditto what Slice said... I didn't realize missionaries were allowed to have cell phones on their mission

Comment

well i was told by my cousins its ok, like credit cards, because your paying for it, and sometimes they are in dangerous places for missonarys
              its just recomended they dont use them for everything

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                yeah dont be to creeped out, genereally its because you will have a problem.
                ive seen people converted because of a car accident
                sometimes, its because o f drugs, alcohol, work, so its not too creepy.
                the fact its hs CELL is creepy, normally its a group home for the missionarys, and if your a girl, it may be hs number but they usually send women women in return
                I still have the cell numbers of two mormon missionaries. They told me I could call them any time too -- except for me they wanted to play Final Fantasy X every time I called XD.

I'd spend like 4 hours a day playing PS2 with the mormons in town. it was epic!

Comment

I was riding the TRAX into downtown, at the Courthouse station one of the doors on my train get stuck open... and I'm not sure which is weirder, the fact that the driver thought that just kicking the door would make it work... or the fact that it actually did .
                  I was once on a tube (i.e. London underground) train carriage with a door that kept sticking. The train can't move until the doors close. For the whole journey a different passenger would get up and hit the door to make it close after each stop

(And my mother was travelling on one of the old open doored routemaster buses with conductors when the conductor had a nervous breakdown of some sort. The passengers took over. They did the double bell ring to signal the driver to move, which could have been just to get the bus moving, but then they started telling people to move along, and not stand on the platform etc. I don't think they went as far as collecting fares though )

The Holy Bible is the most stolen book in history... that my friends is the definition of irony.
                  It's the biggest selling book too. Shop lifting figures don't tend to differ from sales figures that much. (I.e. shoplifters don't appear to have any particularly distinct taste, except for a increase in anything people may be embarrassed to take to a counter and buy).

My mother spent about 15 minutes tracking down someone at Westminster Cathedral to buy a booklet they had out in a rack. The woman was amazed she'd gone to the trouble and said that they kept having things stolen - they'd debated locking them up but had decided that if people were desperate enough to steal them then they might be in need of them. Everything was catholic literature, mainly encyclical (spelling ?) letters from various popes. (In my case I was given it for historical interest rather than religious - but definitely very religious stuff not guide books or anything).

Victoria J

Comment

Working...
                  X