Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practically every job in the UK, or at least in Hampshire is at the moment only hiring people with experiance and turning away everyone who hasn't the requisite amount. So there's me, fresh out of uni, with no job and no real prospects for any either because nobody trusts hiring nooblets any more.

Sing along peeps: "What do ya do, with a BA in English..."
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
      I believe age discrimination only applies if the person applying for the job is 40 or over.
      Only in certain cases. This was brought up by a lawyer visiting my HR Management class one day.

One example is if the person over 40 has less job experience in the field than the younger person. The younger person can then sue the company for reverse age discrimiation and win. The only way to really get around this is to hire both on a trial basis and DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT. Keep the one that best fits. Then due a professional thing and refer the other person to a different company or another part of the company.

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
        reverse age discrimination

semi-
        Sorry, but this is a big pet peeve of mine:

There is no such thing as reverse discrimination. It's discrimination, no matter what side of the biasing factor you're looking at. The reverse is just a pathetic way of trying to make it sound like you're letting them ride coat-tail on something not meant for them.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
          semi-
          Sorry, but this is a big pet peeve of mine:

There is no such thing as reverse discrimination. It's discrimination, no matter what side of the biasing factor you're looking at. The reverse is just a pathetic way of trying to make it sound like you're letting them ride coat-tail on something not meant for them.

*Sorry JAD, I misread your post.*

Sorry but there's prime example of reverse age discrimination at my job. One of my fellow call attendants is 83 years of age. She is constantly asleep at her desk & the calls are always backed up 3-4 in cue at her station. Not only that but she's nasty as hell to her callers.

Both myself & the other attendants have documented & complained numerous times to management about the situation & the only response we get is "she's old, there's nothing we can (read between the lines: we're afraid of getting sued) do about it. If any of us tried that, we'd be out the door.
          Last edited by MyEccentricHell; 07-31-2008, 03:55 PM. Reason: Misread post

Comment

Quoth MyEccentricHell View Post
            Both myself & the other attendants have documented & complained numerous times to management about the situation & the only response we get is "she's old, there's nothing we can (read between the lines: we're afraid of getting sued) do about it. If any of us tried that, we'd be out the door.
            That's kinda my point, though.

They're discriminating against the rest of you by giving her preferential treatment because she's old. No "reverse" about it. If you pulled that same crap and got fired for it, you could sue the hell out of them because she was kept on under the same behavior.
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
            X