This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate the fact I can't trust one of my fellow gamers

We had a 40k tournament at the Local Game Store a couple of weeks ago. Now tournaments and wargaming sundays are normally filled with bring enough plastic and metal to field three or four armies. Not any more, at the last tournament someone got sticky fingers and lifted some dice from a fellow gamer. Not the crime of the century I know, but, It completly changed everything for me. Now I have to debate wether I'll bring in a movie or some anime to share while we play, or bring my camera to shoot pics of the others players armies for the club website, or extra templates and markers to loan people who forgot theirs. it's the same thing that drove me out of baseball cards and ccgs; that people could steal from someone and still sit there and play them or trade with them like nothing was wrong. the funniest thing was that my ipod, phone and check book were left untouched while two tins of dice where stolen.
    They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

That's why I don't play in public place. I play with a group at one of their houses. Any time someone gets out of line (one guy got mad and tossed some figures), they are out and out for good.

With figures being so expensive (min $10 a pop) and dice being up there as well, you can't afford to be as care free as once was.

Comment

Quoth pssorens View Post
      the funniest thing was that my ipod, phone and check book were left untouched while two tins of dice where stolen.
      The first three items can be traced if used. The dice can't.

Gods, I'm cynical . . .

Comment

Quoth pssorens View Post
        We had a 40k tournament at the Local Game ... .... two tins of dice where stolen.
        okay, 1) fantasy OWNS 40k, lmao.
        and 2) was he stealing d6? i mean, a tin of assorted or d8 and up i can see, but to punk a tin of d6 is just kinda sad, when you can get them at the dollar store
        Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

Quoth siead_lietrathua View Post
          okay, 1) fantasy OWNS 40k, lmao.
          and 2) was he stealing d6? i mean, a tin of assorted or d8 and up i can see, but to punk a tin of d6 is just kinda sad, when you can get them at the dollar store
          Psh in your dreams. Privateer Press games > GW Games

Comment

Uhhhhhh...

No offense.. but I can see FIGURES being lifted changing your outlook.. But DICE!?!?!?

Comon...

People borrow them like Pens. You pick it up, use it, and put it in your pocket. Now, if it was some signature style or custom set, I can see being upset... But keeping an eye on your property is part of the deal with public gaming. If someone makes a comment about it, I'd say there's a 50 - 50 chance that next week someone will go "oh.. my bad.." and reach into their bag and return the dice.

I've had outright thefts of expensive figures, purloined dice, and honest mistakes. Returns too. Don't read too much into it. People can suck. Just don't beg to be a victim and you won't be one.

Comment

Seconded. It can be easy to mix up dice, or pick them up by mistake. Unless they went into your bag and took them out, I'd be willing to chalk it up to a mistake.

Also, Warmachine totally pwns Warhammer. Right in it's ear.

Comment

It was a take the dice out ofthe gamers mini-case type of theft , and it was three tins of dice including the limited ed 25th anniverersy dice.

I play fantesy, necromunda, mordheim, epic, bfg, and battle tech as well as 40k. I'm looking into warmachine and hordes and flames of war. But I am in the middle of montana and there are not a lot of gaming options. so if I want to play often I've got to play 40k

It's not the fact that it was dice stolen. it was the fact that someone went into someone else's bag and took three tins of dice
                Last edited by pssorens; 07-18-2008, 04:45 PM. Reason: made something a little more clear
                They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

Yep, I keep my dice on my person when out in public. Sticky fingers knows no class or race. Anyone can have sticky fingers. Its sad but I've had my dice for decades and in no mood to tame or charm another group of them.

That includes my old books too. Now that they're getting more expensive and harder to find.

Also that why I have an extra set of cheap dice to loan out to people who show up without them.
                  I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

The local anime store holds pokemon league once a week. One week a kid (say 12-13ish) stole a rare card from another gamer (8-9ish) and played it off as his own. Pretty obvious, since it was a very rare card and this kid mysteriously came up with an identical card. How much of a jerk do you have to be to steal from a little kid?

The store pulls no punches. Called the kids grandma and explainded the situation. Suddenly the kid "accidentally" found this little kid's card and returned it. And was all sorts of banned for the trouble.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I still haven't gotten back my solid blue d20 from my friends. I don't blame them, per se, but one friend's "couch of devouring."

The horror stories surrounding that piece of furniture...
                      "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I had a small box of D&D minis stolen from work (they were in a beat-up tackle box with my name on it in marker, so obviously did not belong to the store). Fortunately none of them were from the old sets (my older dragon/drow minis do not leave the apartment), but it still pissed me off seeing as that was a third of my trading stash. I kept an eye on the incoming trade-ins for awhile to see if any of them showed up, but nada.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I am a superstitious gamer. No-one touches my dice. I do not share them, I do not borrow anyone elses. No-one especially touches my nice changeling d10's. which are light and dark green and PRETTY.

If you touch my dice, and they hate me, I WILL blame you.

Anyone steals my dice is in for a WORLD of hurt.

much like anyone who saves over my save games is dead.
                          Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

I had that happen once, with a GIANT d20 countdown. However, it wasn't gamers, it was a trio of punks that came in because there's nothing to do in my city on a Sunday.

Never got it back, but they were banned for that and other things they did that day.
                            Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

*shakes fist* I hate it when people steal stuff. It isn't always the thing that bothers me the most, but just the fact that someone was mean enough to steal my stuff at all.
                              1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                              -----
                              http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
                              X