Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of service did you expect, jerk?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of service did you expect, jerk?

So I'm at my regular bar, (it's my Cheers) I go up to get a drink and pray my favourite bartender serves me when I see a look of disgust on her face.
    Some jerk in a cowboy hat is trying to drunkenly apologize to her.
    I hear this:

Guy: Sorry, sorry, it's just that... I'm from Calgary and that's how we get people's attention.
    Awesome bartender who wins at life: Uh huh. That's fine.

Apparently he did "the wave" to get her attention. You know, that shitty SC "Over here, servant!" wave.

Me: Did you try to wave her down?
    Guy: Yeah but... that's how we do it in Calgary.
    Me: Does this look like Calgary to you?
    Guy: No but-
    Me: Have fun drinking watery drinks all night.

I walk away.

Yeah, I'm going to stick up for staff there. They all work their asses off and do a damn good job of serving a packed bar every single night.
    This past Friday I "accidentally" bumped into someone and spilled his drink after I watched him be an SC to one of the bartenders over a drink then throw the lime garnish on the bar like a tantrum-ing baby. The look on the bartender's face when he threw the garnish was nothing short of, "I will snatch the life right out of you."

Later I'm back for another drink and the bar is pretty busy. The only spot is next to this guy once more. He's leaning far on the bar with his money sticking out, indicating to me that he's been there for quite some time waiting to be served.

I walk over, Awesome Bartender Who Wins At Life gives the "The usual?" gesture, I nod, say, "Yes, please," then have this conversation.

Guy: Please? What the fuck are you saying please for?
    Me: Because that's how functional human beings behave.
    Guy: You don't have to say please. This is a bar.

By this time my drink has been handed to me and ABWWAL is getting my change.

Me: Notice anything?
    Guy: What?
    Me: You've been standing up here forever trying to get served, I walk up to a jam-packed bar and in two seconds I already have my drink. That's what please gets you, asshole.

I turn to walk away, am stopped by a friend and point this guy out to her (I had mentioned "the wave" to people, as this bar has a lot of regulars and everyone, including staff, pretty much knows one another) and we stand and watch to see how long it would take him to get served.

It took so long that eventually we just gave up.

Yeah, that's what please gets you, fuck face.
    Last edited by rerant; 07-21-2008, 05:30 AM.

OMG. "What does please get you??"
    Is he MAD?

I get the best service on the face of the planet because I say Please and Thank You. Crikey, if I went out with my parents, and didn't say P & Q, they would cancel my order.
    *shakes head*
    What a moron
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Ass. I like your bartender lady by the way. She sounds cool.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

You'd think people would realise by now if they simply observed every once in a while that people who are nice and say P & T and all that jazz tend to have little if no problems. While those who throw tantrums, don't say P & T, get your attention via waving, whistling, yelling, etc. tend to get the bare minimum customer service possible. I swear if someone would just once be nice and say P & T I might be able to bend the rules a tad (depending on the situation) just for them.

Comment

I hope I haven't committed the faux pas with how I get attention, since I tend to attract a waiter/ess out of polite vocal range with a lifted hand (bent up at elbow only, fingers semi-relaxed) and a look like I'd like to ask something when they make eye-contact.

I try to treat staff like people, even if it's not a place I frequent, and I'd really hate to think I've been unintentionally rude.
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

He waved at her? Ummmm..what's the big deal? Did he do the condescending snap of the fingers or was it just a wave. If it was just a wave I gotta say that bartender was a major sucky employee IMO.

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
              He waved at her? Ummmm..what's the big deal? Did he do the condescending snap of the fingers or was it just a wave. If it was just a wave I gotta say that bartender was a major sucky employee IMO.
              Trust me, you can be an annoying asshole just waving your hand. Either reaching across the bar and waving like you're trying to flag down a passing car or impatiently waving in a jerking gesture towards yourself are both extremely rude.
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

ITA, if it was like that then he was being a dolt; but, from the OP's post it seems as if the bartender was pissed at being waved at at all.

Comment

yah,

i don't think we have enough details... but from what i read, the cowboy wasn't the only one not being nice.

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
                    It was a, "HEY, YOU! OVER HERE! SERVICE! SERVICE!" wave. Very jerky.
                    No condescending snap, but a condescending wave. There's a nice way and a jerky way to do it. He chose the latter.
                    And that bartender is not only the sort who busts her ass every night, but one of the nicest people ever; I don't think she could ever be sucky even if she tried.
                    I've only once seen her refuse service to someone and it was because he was demanding shots and yelling (ok, probably to get his voice over the music, but still with an asshole tone) and even then she said as sweetly as can be, "I don't really feel comfortable serving you, sorry," smiled apologetically and turned her attention elsewhere.
                    She's only going to get pissed at someone if they deserve it, and IMO this guy definitely did.
                    She even overheard him saying, "You don't have to say please. This is a bar."
                    I mean come on, someone who can't even be arsed to force out a simple please isn't, and didn't, treat the staff very well.

Quoth CorDarei View Post
                    yah,

i don't think we have enough details... but from what i read, the cowboy wasn't the only one not being nice.
                    Reading back I guess I didn't properly point out just how much of an ass he was being.
                    His drunken apology to K, the bartender, was more of a, "Yeah yeah I'm sorry, now go get my drink," sorta deal and during the second conversation we had where we was stating that a please was not necessary he was full to the brim with entitled arrogance (and booze, but IMO that's no excuse for being a jerk, just a scapegoat for your behaviour and hell, I had about four of K's 'special' drinks in me and I was no ass to her, nor would I ever be).

I guess the best way to explain my calling him an asshole is this: think of all the times you've been at work and someone has treated you like shit and you've just wanted to call them out on it but couldn't. Well, I was in the position where I could call out the SC so I did.
                    While I now realise that I didn't adequately describe his behaviour enough, I did what I thought was necessary, which was put someone in their place who was treating a very sweet and very hardworking bartender like crap.

I think every once and a while standing up to an SC in defence of staff is a good thing. Who knows, maybe he'll be nicer to the next bartender he encounters.
                    Well, one can only hope.
                    Last edited by rerant; 07-21-2008, 05:20 PM.

Comment

ITA, there wasn't enough information given; but, now I understand it better now. ITA he was being a dolt!

Comment

People should know not to piss of the bartender.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

And for the Record, that is NOT how we get service in Calgary!

Comment

Quoth amphrite View Post
                            And for the Record, that is NOT how we get service in Calgary!
                            I wouldn't have anticipated so. That guy was just a grade A asshole.
                            Knowing the staff, though, if he ordered anything other than beer for the rest of the night he was basically drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                            X