This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
    Not sure how I'm going to tackle the doctorate classes yet. Maybe I should go back to a TrapperKeeper.
    If my university was any indicator, you should just carry everything in a big bundle so that papers can fly out behind you all over campus as you rush from one important errand to the next. And don't forget to scream, bitch, and moan at the computer lab assistant when the lab is full. Then monopolize the computer you finally get for 8-10 hours at a time. Argue when closing time comes, too. We'll remember you better next time.

Not bitter. Nope, not me.
    Last edited by Geek King; 07-28-2008, 03:54 PM. Reason: Just my usual typing errors. Nothing to see here.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Somehow I managed to keep my notebooks straight without color-coding them. If they want color coding they should get a big package of those different colored dot labels. Let the kids get whatever and put the desired color dots on each subject. The teachers can spend a few bucks and all the kids have the "right" colors without parents going crazy.

My mom always covered my books. I sucked at the grocery-bag book-cover making. Whenever I tried it always ended in tears and torn paper.

We had similar problems in the bookstore. Teachers would require some book and not let us know that the entire 9th grade would be coming in. When they were smart they would come in and order enough copies for their class, let the class know when and where to pick them up, and we would hold them behind the counter under the teacher's name in a box. (If they were really smart they would pay for them all and get their discount and let the kids pay them back. Though some schools might not allow that, I don't know.)
      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 07-27-2008, 09:04 PM.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I remember when I was staying with my mom and my son's teacher did the color coded notebooks. We couldn't find any in the color, (school had already started and I had just gotten back from living in Germany.) so we just sent him with what we could find. The teacher sent a note home about needing the specific colors, so my mother took printer paper and scribbled on them with crayon and taped it to the cover.

It worked!

Comment

Two words : notebook covers. That's how we did it when I was a kid. Much easier to find notebook covers with the right color than notebooks with said colors. But, sometimes during the year, the cover would wear down and the notebook would lose it's oh so convenient color code. One of my math teachers asked me once "How do you know it's your Math notebook and not you Geometry notebook ?" Gee, I dunno... Maybe because I've written so on the first page ?

Wait, she'd have to pay for them. Since she's unwilling to dish out the $1.80 extra for the over-the-limit notebooks, I guess buying notebook covers is out of question.
          Last edited by Samaliel; 08-04-2008, 04:35 PM.
          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth scruff View Post
            However, my schools asked kids to cover textbooks in wallpaper or similar.
            (As the textbooks were pretty tatty.)
            Our English teacher gave prizes for the neatest covered books, and then was surprised that some parents were doing the work for their dear kids.
            We had to have book covers too. Many people used fancy ones you could buy, but my Daddy (being the wonderful creative man he was) used paper grocery bags. That my sister and I then decorated with things cut out of magazines and markers and stickers and such.

Let me tell you, my friends were jealous of my book covers cause they were unique and fun. I hope I get to do that for my kids (you know, the ones I don't have yet that will take years to get old enough to need book covers! )
            Gryffltherclaw: Because who says you have to pick just one?

Proud to have crushes on fictional characters.

Comment

Working...
            X